The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-24-2014, 10:53 AM   #1
TonyJohnson

Finally got my Boyd's EFI tank installed

Sorry, no pics yet. I was fighting with PO mods and a very short break in the weather to get it in.

I gotta say, the Boyd's tank is a thing of beauty. I got the 2" side fill version and it's very nice.

I got the EFI tank because I was sick of the sound of my Holley Red fuel pump screaming over my exhaust. I'm using a Holley billet regulator with return and dropping the pressure to the 1406 to 4.5 psi.

The PO had welded a custom rear channel iron bumper and skidplate to the frame, blocking access to the rear body mounts. After 4 hours and 6 torch blades, my Sawzall finally got it cleared out. Then came the crazy vent tube madness. I probably should have just ground off the bolts, but I spent another hour or so removing it.

I left the old fuel line and used it to route/hang my new 6an Russell twist lock hose. I got a 25 ft roll and used every bit of it for the fuel and return line. I left enough so I could drop the tank without removing the lines. Worked out pretty nice, but didn't have any left for the "last mile" from the regulator to the carb... Used regular 3/8 FI hose until I can decide what I want to do. I've also got a really nice Sierra marine water/fuel filter to go inline somewhere. I can't decide to put it back by the tank or under the hood for easy access...

Hardest part was adapting the stock fuel filler to the 2" inlet on the tank.

My temp solution was to adapt the 1.5" tube to 2" with a Walker exhaust adapter. Bad on Walker. The 2" side of the adapter was oversized and getting it in the armored 2" filler hose was a serious undertaking...

I've got a serious solution to the filler issue. I'm going all 2" from the original hole in the bed side. I've got a really nice stainless 2" 90 and a 2" filler neck coming. The original filler tube is just too restricted and I really had to baby the gas pump to keep it from overflowing. The rollover vent on the tank, couldn't keep up... I think the new filler is going to be nice...
Old 11-24-2014, 11:56 AM   #2
TonyJohnson

Re: Finally got my Boyd's EFI tank installed

Here are some of the parts...

tank: http://www.fueltankparts.com/67-72-e...side-fill.html

If you want to use the stock filler, I'd recommend getting the tank without the installed rollover vent and instead get Boyd's 5/8" inline hose rollover vent. This and a 90 degree 1/2"x5/8" hose bib will allow you to use the original vent hose from the filler and "MIGHT" let you get by. You'll still need to find a step adapter to get from 2" fill to the 1.5" stock filler hose. I'm guessing a better quality, stainless exhaust adapter would be fine. The walker adapter I used sucked...

fuel filter: Amazon.com: Sierra International 18-7775-1... Amazon.com: Sierra International 18-7775-1...
regulator: Amazon.com: Holley 12-841 4.5-9 PSI Adjustable... Amazon.com: Holley 12-841 4.5-9 PSI Adjustable...
Twistloc hose: Amazon.com: Russell 634163 Black 25' -6AN... Amazon.com: Russell 634163 Black 25' -6AN...
Filler Hose: Amazon.com: Gates 23932 20 PSI Fuel Fill Hose:... Amazon.com: Gates 23932 20 PSI Fuel Fill Hose:...This baby is 3 ft long and armored... bandsaw, hacksaw or sawzall to cut it. Not very flexible, but will NEVER kink... lol. I got extra to do my filler idea.

Last edited by TonyJohnson; 11-24-2014 at 12:07 PM.
TonyJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:56 AM   #3
TonyJohnson

OK... Yesterday I got the new billet filler in with 2" tube and hose all the way to the tank. Works really well. The filler is a really nice piece that's super simple and very high quality.

I also used a very nice piece of stainless exhaust tubing that 90s to the tank.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:17 AM   #4
Maddoxdb

Sub'd to see some pics. I'm about to order that same tank
Maddoxdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 12:01 PM   #5
TonyJohnson

Here's some installed pics. I have a lot of cleanup and touchup to do, but you can see the basic setup. Pretty darn simple and will eventually look pretty nice.

After pulling the stock gasket that surrounds the filler and vent where it goes through the floor, I found the 2" stainless pipe would actually go through the opening. I didn't want any rubbing or such, so I used a grinder and rat-tail file to open it up just a bit. Used 3/8" hose that was slit on one side to cover the floor where it met the pipe and then used silicone around the assembly to make a temp gasket. I plan to make a real one that looks better, but just wanted it functional for now. It can all be covered up by the stock cover panel anyway.

This image shows where the tank is mounted to the framerails. I notched the aluminum bracket a bit to get it as close to the back crossmember as possible. This keeps the fuel fill in the right spot for the hose to go over the frame. I also fudged the tank to the passenger side to give the fill hose as much room from the framerail as possible to make it easier to mate up.

This is a terrible pic of a really nice filler. The quarter obviously needs some body work, but the black shadow is silicone I used as temp gasket material for the filler. I'm going to use nice polished, flat, allen screws to attach it, but used what I had to get it functional... There is a bit of a gap at the sides and bottom that need to be filled, but it'll be easy to make it nice when I do the bodywork. I'll either recess it or put in a filler door, a little lower.

showing the stainless 90 going through the bed. Photo looks weird, but it's a straight shot to the tank.

So, some better clamps, nicer bolts, and a little cleanup and it will be nice. The silence of the fuel pump is really nice...
Old 11-30-2014, 12:02 PM   #6
'68 Newtricks

Where did ya get the billet filler?
Old 11-30-2014, 12:19 PM   #7
TonyJohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68 Newtricks View Post
Where did ya get the billet filler?
Amazon.com: Custom Fuel Tanks 2.00 Remote Filler... Amazon.com: Custom Fuel Tanks 2.00 Remote Filler...
Old 12-09-2014, 01:38 AM   #8
Jdubs71

Nice write up. Have you had any issues at the pump with the fuel nozzle stopping while filling?

"Common sense is not so common"

My build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=555879
Jdubs71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 02:53 AM   #9
TonyJohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdubs71 View Post
Nice write up. Have you had any issues at the pump with the fuel nozzle stopping while filling?
You have to baby it a bit, currently. Mine came with a roll over vent, but the 1/2" fitting outputs to a tiny 5/16" vent bung. Boyd sells a pricey 5/8" inline roll over check valve that can be used with a 1/2" NPT x 5/8" barb to get a much more agressive vent. Mine is on the way and I'll update when installed.

I will say the 2" inlet made a HUGE difference over trying to use the stock filler. MUCH nicer at the pump. The stock 1 1/2" fill was SLOOOW to fill.