The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-29-2013, 02:20 PM   #1
t300

newbie airbag questions

So I bought a 1970 c10 last month, and after a couple weeks of pondering, I ordered in a few parts. Some of those being a manual airbag setup (thanks Travis @ properformance!).

A couple questions while I wait for the loctite 545 sealant to show up (had to order in from the local industrial/AG supply store!)

- kit came with plastic (nylon?) line. is this fine to run into the bags, or should I get 4x 18" or so hydraulic hoses made up to act as flex lines attached to the bags? The kit supplied PTC 90degree fittings.
- any suggestions on where to run the lines in/out of the cab? I'd like to limit the amount of entry and exit points
- I assume it would be a good idea to put a schraeder valve on the tank as a backup in case the compressor fails?
- does anyone install a (200psi??) blowoff valve on the tank itself in case the pressure switch fails or the compressor just 'keeps on pumping' for some reason? Or is it common to just rely on the compressor itself to shut off before then? Using an Viair380c

thanks!
Matt
t300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:06 PM   #2
stevencvn72
Kill Bill...et

Re: newbie airbag questions

As long as its DOT approved line (it'll be printed along the side of the line) you'll be just fine. You will want to protect it from chafing anywhere it comes in contact along the edge of the frame/cab....etc. I used old fuel line and coolant hose I had around the garage. A blow off valve will give you piece of mind, but I don't know many folks who have one installed on their tank. The same goes with a shrader valve. A real crisis saver would be to add another compressor later down the road. Just remember with your wiring and air lines, the less it moves, the less chance of failure, so secure it down with adel clamps, zip ties, string, bubble gum....you get the point.
Posted via Mobile Device

I Grease

'67 Chev stepper

http://youtu.be/38p_2Iu2fd0
stevencvn72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:17 AM   #3
andrewmp6

Make sure you have a tubing cutter the airlines won't seal fully in the fittings with out a prefect straight cut.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:48 PM   #4
t300

thanks for the replys. tubing cutter - just a standard tubing cutter, similar to the type you use on copper hard line? or what is the preferred type?
t300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:19 AM   #5
andrewmp6

The one you need is like this http://www.ridetech.com/store/tubing-cutters.html you might find it cheaper if you look hard tho.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:59 PM   #6
stevencvn72
Kill Bill...et

Quote:
Originally Posted by t300 View Post
thanks for the replys. tubing cutter - just a standard tubing cutter, similar to the type you use on copper hard line? or what is the preferred type?
To be honest with you, I used an old set of anvil type pruning sheers. Not a leak yet.

I Grease

'67 Chev stepper

http://youtu.be/38p_2Iu2fd0
stevencvn72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:16 PM   #7
SCOTI

Fresh razor blade w/a clean 90° cut works fine too....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote