The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-14-2016, 02:47 PM   #1
jondancer

Utility bucket seat covers ?

Anyone make seat covers for the shorter utility bucket seats ?
Thanks
Jon
jondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 03:51 PM   #2
6768chevylover

Re: Utility bucket seat covers ?

I don't know who exactly makes them but they are out there. I just saw utility buckets this summer on a 70 blazer with nice interior in it.
6768chevylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 12:07 PM   #3
praisegeetarman

SMS auto fabrics has the correct factory material. You can get it from them and then have a local shop make the covers. That's what I did with the utility buckets in my 71 blazer.

Keith

Keith Riel
praisegeetarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 08:50 PM   #4
bigdon-70blazer

SMS had the original pattern 1970 material when I called them. But remember this, do not take "no we do not have it" for an answer. Talk to several people, trying to find some of the old dogs there. I finally got in touch with the right person and got what I needed. There is no vendor for the covers for utility buckets. The material was pricy though. I did this restore about 7 years ago!
Attached Images

bigdon-70blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 08:52 PM   #5
bigdon-70blazer

I had a local person stitch up the covers taking the pattern off of the old covers.
bigdon-70blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 01:09 PM   #6
hemi43

For the price of seat covers, buy yourself a nice sewing machine for less than the cost of the covers and make your own. These have to be the easiest seats to re-upholster and are perfect if you've never done it before. Once you're done, you'll have new seats and a sewing machine. The material to recover both my front seats and the rear was around $80.
Attached Images

hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:32 AM   #7
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

[QUOTE=For the price of seat covers, buy yourself a nice sewing machine for less than the cost of the covers and make your own. These have to be the easiest seats to re-upholster and are perfect if you've never done it before. Once you're done, you'll have new seats and a sewing machine. The material to recover both my front seats and the rear was around $80.[/QUOTE]

Holy ***, you did that first time with no experience??
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 11:09 AM   #8
hemi43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vogel View Post
Holy ***, you did that first time with no experience??
No, not my first one, but maybe the fourth. Definitely the easiest though because there's only a few pieces that needed to be sew together.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:34 PM   #9
raggedjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi43 View Post
No, not my first one, but maybe the fourth. Definitely the easiest though because there's only a few pieces that needed to be sew together.
Sounds to me like you have the makings of a cottage industry! Would you consider making another set, since you already have the sewing machine?

Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 04:38 PM   #10
bambbrose

Quote:
For the price of seat covers, buy yourself a nice sewing machine for less than the cost of the covers and make your own. These have to be the easiest seats to re-upholster and are perfect if you've never done it before. Once you're done, you'll have new seats and a sewing machine. The material to recover both my front seats and the rear was around $80.
Care do make a small how-to guide? I've got my wife's sewing machine and I'm pretty handy. Did you just take off the factory cover, or what was left, and dissemble, cut new vinyl, and reassemble?
Old 11-30-2016, 10:09 AM   #11
hemi43

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambbrose View Post
Care do make a small how-to guide? I've got my wife's sewing machine and I'm pretty handy. Did you just take off the factory cover, or what was left, and dissemble, cut new vinyl, and reassemble?
Hopefully the OP won't mind me posting this on his thread.

I'm not sure what type of sewing machine your Wife has, but an industrial one with a walking foot is a must because you'll be going through at least 4 layers of vinyl.

Hopefully the original covers are still somewhat intact, then it's only a matter of taking it apart so that the panels can be used as templates. I use a single edge razor blade to cut the stitching while pulling the panels apart.
If the panels don't sit flat, ironing them will help a bit. I then transfer the shape of these panels on bristle board because it makes it easier to use this thin cardboard to trace the pattern on the new vinyl.

On most cars, the passenger and driver's seat are identical, so only one set of patterns needs to be made. Keep in mind that the original panels have stretched and shrunk over the years, so I cut the patterns with smooth lines so as not to copy wear.

Once all the vinyl is cut, the first thing to do is sew any pattern or pleats into the seating area. I use 1/'2 fabric covered foam for this.

The next thing is making the piping. You can get 5/32 dia piping core from any upholstery supplier and it's made from a hard foam. I always sew the piping on one panel first because it makes it easier when doing the final sewing.

More than likely your foam will need replacing too, so use medium density foam. The best way to cut it is with an electric meat knife that you can get at a pawn shop or Goodwill store. Final shape is done with a 2" 36 grit sanding disc.
YouTube has some excellent videos on how to do this, and will most likely explain better than what I can. This is a hobby for me, and have only done about 4 interiors, but it's really quite easy. Anyone can do it because it's not rocket science, and it's nice to be able to claim you sewed your own seats.
If you decide to tackle it, I'd be more happy to help.
Here's some pictures I had ;
Attached Images

Old 12-06-2016, 03:06 PM   #12
bambbrose

Thank you so much for the guide and details. Sounds like what I'll need to do. I'm not sure my wife's sewing machine will be up to the task however. Open to suggestions on what kind of machine to watch for!

And sorry for the thread hijack OP.

Quote:
Hopefully the OP won't mind me posting this on his thread.

I'm not sure what type of sewing machine your Wife has, but an industrial one with a walking foot is a must because you'll be going through at least 4 layers of vinyl.

Hopefully the original covers are still somewhat intact, then it's only a matter of taking it apart so that the panels can be used as templates. I use a single edge razor blade to cut the stitching while pulling the panels apart.
If the panels don't sit flat, ironing them will help a bit. I then transfer the shape of these panels on bristle board because it makes it easier to use this thin cardboard to trace the pattern on the new vinyl.

On most cars, the passenger and driver's seat are identical, so only one set of patterns needs to be made. Keep in mind that the original panels have stretched and shrunk over the years, so I cut the patterns with smooth lines so as not to copy wear.

Once all the vinyl is cut, the first thing to do is sew any pattern or pleats into the seating area. I use 1/'2 fabric covered foam for this.

The next thing is making the piping. You can get 5/32 dia piping core from any upholstery supplier and it's made from a hard foam. I always sew the piping on one panel first because it makes it easier when doing the final sewing.

More than likely your foam will need replacing too, so use medium density foam. The best way to cut it is with an electric meat knife that you can get at a pawn shop or Goodwill store. Final shape is done with a 2" 36 grit sanding disc.
YouTube has some excellent videos on how to do this, and will most likely explain better than what I can. This is a hobby for me, and have only done about 4 interiors, but it's really quite easy. Anyone can do it because it's not rocket science, and it's nice to be able to claim you sewed your own seats.
If you decide to tackle it, I'd be more happy to help.
Here's some pictures I had ;
Old 12-06-2016, 08:05 AM   #13
jondancer

Found these cool vintage seat covers .
Old 12-06-2016, 03:10 PM   #14
bambbrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondancer View Post
Found these cool vintage seat covers .
I would love to find those. I can't find anything without a headrest.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:46 PM   #15
jondancer

Anyone used ricks upholstery?
Old 03-13-2017, 03:04 PM   #16
jondancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondancer View Post
Anyone used ricks upholstery?

Is ricks upholstery a board member ?