The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-05-2014, 08:07 PM   #101
earl84

Re: here's my truck 65 c20

So glad you are back on it, your truck is one that inspired me to keep my C20 as a C20. Those buddy buckets, and that gauge cluster look amazing. Keep up the good work.
earl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:59 PM   #102
Budman56

Talking Re: here's my truck 65 c20

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl84 View Post
So glad you are back on it, your truck is one that inspired me to keep my C20 as a C20. Those buddy buckets, and that gauge cluster look amazing. Keep up the good work.
Thank you earl84 life just has a way of getting in the way of doing the things we love (family & chevy trucks) when I started this project almost three years ago I thought it would be a 6 month job, I bought this to replace a ford 250 that took a crap on me, so I bought & started the rebuild so that I could use it as a daily driver and have a truck that I could work on, but then I got laid off (the company closed it doors without paying any of us) so all work had to stop on the truck. I managed to find a job but then we decided to move closer to the work (I lived in southern cal) and moved to (northern cal) then when I got all moved and set up on the 13 acre lot and managed to buy a few more trucks for parts (9 more trucks) Then my youngest son was air lifted to the madera hospital and there we found out that he was a type 1 diabetic in addition to him already having SVT (a heart condition) that almost killed him when he was a baby and then came back when he turned 13. So to state the obvious this has been a difficult few years. But all is good now and at least for now were all on our feet and doing as good as we can with these illnesses. I have now started to try to do at least one item every day on my truck so that I can try to get it finished.
Attached Images

......................_____
.........________//__{\_____
,,,,,,,/__(O)___//___/__(O)_/
Budman56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 02:05 PM   #103
Budman56

Talking Re: here's my truck 65 c20

Worked on my truck the last two nights on the steering column, I used a column out of a 72 10 none tilt. I disassembled the column and bead blasted it then proceeded to paint and reassembled it. Here it is installed in my truck.
Attached Images

Old 07-09-2014, 02:20 PM   #104
earl84

Nice steering wheel. I put a tilt in mine, which is nice, but want to use the original wheel after reducing the diameter, but it's gonna wait.
Glad your family is doing well. They're definitely more important than these old trucks, and sometimes they're even more fun, haha.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:28 PM   #105
Budman56

Quote:
Nice steering wheel. I put a tilt in mine, which is nice, but want to use the original wheel after reducing the diameter, but it's gonna wait.
Glad your family is doing well. They're definitely more important than these old trucks, and sometimes they're even more fun, haha.
Thank you Earl84 I wanted to do tilt but just couldn't find one, and I don't want to spend $400 on a new one so this was the next best thing, also with using a 72 column I was able to add the collapsible shaft so that should I ever get into a front end collision I will not wind up with the steering wheel in my chest.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:49 PM   #106
earl84

Got mine out of the same motor home that my 454 came from. It was automatic as well, and I was converting to auto, so it worked out very well. Plus it was all negotiated in the price, and I feel like I made out pretty well. Had a brain cramp when welding it though, and the steering wheel isn't straight so I am gonna have to remove it and re-do. It all works great, but going straight down the road the steering wheel is taking a hard right turn, haha. That's the way a lot of my projects go, need to be done twice to get it right. But this is my first restoration and by far the biggest project I have done on any vehicle, so I learn a ton. Mine is not nearly as nice underneath as yours will be in the end, but mechanically, the entire drivetrain has been touched, with mostly new parts for all items that can wear, so it should be reliable.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:50 PM   #107
supercharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budman56 View Post
Thank you earl84 life just has a way of getting in the way of doing the things we love (family & chevy trucks) when I started this project almost three years ago I thought it would be a 6 month job, I bought this to replace a ford 250 that took a crap on me, so I bought & started the rebuild so that I could use it as a daily driver and have a truck that I could work on, but then I got laid off (the company closed it doors without paying any of us) so all work had to stop on the truck. I managed to find a job but then we decided to move closer to the work (I lived in southern cal) and moved to (northern cal) then when I got all moved and set up on the 13 acre lot and managed to buy a few more trucks for parts (9 more trucks) Then my youngest son was air lifted to the madera hospital and there we found out that he was a type 1 diabetic in addition to him already having SVT (a heart condition) that almost killed him when he was a baby and then came back when he turned 13. So to state the obvious this has been a difficult few years. But all is good now and at least for now were all on our feet and doing as good as we can with these illnesses. I have now started to try to do at least one item every day on my truck so that I can try to get it finished.
Budman56
That picture of your family at the Mystrey Spot brought back a flood of fond memories from my early years spent living in the Sunnyvale area. The Santa Cruz mountains were our weekend playground back then.

“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”
― Aristotle
supercharged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:55 PM   #108
1963c-10

Nice job on the column....looks great installed!!!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:20 PM   #109
Budman56

Quote:
Got mine out of the same motor home that my 454 came from. It was automatic as well, and I was converting to auto, so it worked out very well. Plus it was all negotiated in the price, and I feel like I made out pretty well. Had a brain cramp when welding it though, and the steering wheel isn't straight so I am gonna have to remove it and re-do. It all works great, but going straight down the road the steering wheel is taking a hard right turn, haha. That's the way a lot of my projects go, need to be done twice to get it right. But this is my first restoration and by far the biggest project I have done on any vehicle, so I learn a ton. Mine is not nearly as nice underneath as yours will be in the end, but mechanically, the entire drivetrain has been touched, with mostly new parts for all items that can wear, so it should be reliable.
Earl mine only look like its nice it was never supposed to look like it does now and I wish I hadn't done it would have been a lot cheaper to just clean it up and replace the parts as I went, but as with all things I do I learn as I go. Funny thing I went out at lunch today to vintage chevy trucks in fremont cal and picked up a tilt steering column. So I will be changing out the column that I have not at some point.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:21 PM   #110
Budman56

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963c-10 View Post
Nice job on the column....looks great installed!!!
Thank you sir.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:22 PM   #111
Budman56

Red face Re: here's my truck 65 c20

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercharged View Post
Budman56
That picture of your family at the Mystrey Spot brought back a flood of fond memories from my early years spent living in the Sunnyvale area. The Santa Cruz mountains were our weekend playground back then.
yep we had a good time that weekend.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:19 PM   #112
brettster

Nice looking build.I also grew up in the Sunnyvale area.My father owned Sunnyvale Auto body.Remember acres of cherry orchards.Dads shop truck was a Yellow and white 65 custom fleetside ,which is now mine.Your build is coming along nicely!
brettster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:52 PM   #113
luvbowties

Smile Re: here's my truck 65 c20

Quote:
Earl mine only look like its nice it was never supposed to look like it does now and I wish I hadn't done it would have been a lot cheaper to just clean it up and replace the parts as I went, but as with all things I do I learn as I go. Funny thing I went out at lunch today to vintage chevy trucks in fremont cal and picked up a tilt steering column. So I will be changing out the column that I have not at some point.
Just never look at the entire job as a 'do-over'--the bolts will come out so much nicer as you install the tilt! Plus, any welding/hole-slotting will be so much nicer since you'll know just where, just how much, just how many, and...

So much fun doing, and then improving even that last "do". Neighbors ask when I'm gonna finish my '66: I tell 'em "just before I offer it for sale"!

Have fun; and keep the pics coming. Nice job, Budman56.
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:29 AM   #114
Budman56

Thumbs up Factory power steering pump pulleys

Quote:
Continuation of power steering pulley info here is a link to the pulley I need for my truck to align the pulleys.

http://www.gmpartswiki.com/gmpart?gmpartno=3791943
Got my pulley yesterday in the mail. I installed it on my power steering pump, it was a ***** to get it on it. It doesn't quite line up but I think it will be close enough, I have read in other post that these pulley don't line up perfectly and they probably didn't come from the factory lined up perfect either.
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2014, 10:01 AM   #115
Budman56

Fan belt factory correct part numbers

For anyone interested here are the correct fan belt for a factory correct ac, power steering, alt belt setup.
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2014, 11:22 PM   #116
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Thanks for posting a thorough followup to your issue. This will no doubt help someone else someday.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:18 PM   #117
Budman56

Question Help needed on brake lines

Well guys it time to start on the brake system, do you guys have any suggestion on brake line benders? I have seen a few out there but I would like to know what you guys used and liked? post some photos if you can. also I need to remake the gas line to the carb I looking for ideals there too.

SO WHAT IAM NEEDING IS:

1) BRAND OF BENDER
2) TYPE OF LINE TO USE
3) WHAT TO LOOK OUT FOR AS I AM DOING THIS.

Thank you in advanced!
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2014, 01:18 AM   #118
Budman56

Got my new tubing kit now on to my brake lines.
Attached Images

Old 07-27-2016, 11:50 AM   #119
Budman56

Cool Re: Here's my truck 1965 C-20

Its been awhile since I last posted anything here so here is an update on my project.

1) working on cab patch panels.
2) converting my small window to a big window.
3) completed the steering shaft for my tilt wheel.
4) still working on the rear disk brake conversion on my dana 70.
5) and last but not least the dreaded body work.
6) finally found a 60's era flat bed.
Attached Images

Old 07-27-2016, 11:55 AM   #120
Budman56

Re: Here's my truck 1965 C-20

more photos of the work I have completed
Attached Images

Old 07-27-2016, 12:00 PM   #121
Budman56

more photos
Attached Images

Old 07-28-2016, 12:05 PM   #122
MikeN

Beautiful build sir! May I ask how you were able to mate that early air cleaner to a later carb with the larger diameter flange? I would like the same look on my truck.
MikeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:23 PM   #123
GreyFox

So glad I found your build. I just purchased a '65 C20 and I'm wanting to make it a daily but I am dead set on keeping it a C20 with upgrades. I am using your build as a guide but I didn't see anything on your front end disc brake conversion. Could you tell me about that conversion. I am also interested in the rear end setup and I think there is enough information there to get a conversion for my truck but I want to do the front end first. I would really appreciate more information on that front end.
I really like the build and I hope that your son is doing much better now that you have a better idea what's going on.

My '65 was a farm truck and I'm the 3rd registered owner but the second driver the truck was sold to a salvage yard and that owner only drove the truck to his yard a mile away. I the farmer had swapped in a newer motor - 307cid with heads with harden seats so I don't have to worry about the lead free gas. But it still has the original 4spd with granny and rear end and I don't think the truck will get on the freeway until I re-gear it.

Appreciate your post and build - John
GreyFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 03:23 PM   #124
Budman56

Cool Re: here's my truck 65 c20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeN View Post
Beautiful build sir! May I ask how you were able to mate that early air cleaner to a later carb with the larger diameter flange? I would like the same look on my truck.
I had bought some adapters from oreilys bit I wasn't happy with them so I will be making my own adapter. Sorry for the late reply.

Old 01-14-2018, 03:32 PM   #125
The Rocknrod

Ya they only make adapters from early carbs to latter air cleaners, not latter carbs to early air cleaners. Unfortunate.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote