The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-10-2016, 07:36 AM   #1
Curbdog17

72 power steering question

I'm in the process of setting my 72 up with power steering, and none of my local parts stores can order the power steering gear box.
Are there any other models or years power steering gear boxes that are a direct bolt in?
Thanks.
Curbdog17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 07:54 AM   #2
Jrainman

Re: 72 power steering question

they are direct bolt up to 87, I think the one I used was 79-86 just make sure the PS pump you use also has metric fittings early pumps and gear have SAE thread and Newer style have Metric . Do a search here all the information is here on the best way to go.
Jrainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:03 AM   #3
Curbdog17

Thanks
Old 08-10-2016, 09:16 AM   #4
EARNHARDT#3

Go with a 77-80 gear box. They have a quicker (3.5 turn) ratio than the older ones yet still have the same sae fittings as the earlier pumps. That way you can get a pump and lines "for a 72" and it'll all work together.
EARNHARDT#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 09:21 AM   #5
Curbdog17

The pump I have is from a 2000 silverado. It's on the motor I'm using. I think I will need to have line made anyway.
But I do like the idea of a quicker ratio.
Thanks
Old 08-10-2016, 09:25 AM   #6
FlameOut

It's weird they can't order a stock steering box. I ordered mine for my 72 w/ps from advanceautoparts but cancelled and just ordered from rockauto becausenitnwas a much better price

2004 Chevy Silverado Z71 Ext Cab 1500
1972 Chevy K-10 SOLD
1967 Chevelle SS
FlameOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:41 AM   #7
Curbdog17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOut View Post
It's weird they can't order a stock steering box. I ordered mine for my 72 w/ps from advanceautoparts but cancelled and just ordered from rockauto becausenitnwas a much better price
I know, I tried autozone, advanced, and Orielly.
I might just get a junk yard box.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:51 AM   #8
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

not all C10 boxes are the same to 87. Somewhere after 76 or 77 they changed to metric. The shaft will be different
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:53 AM   #9
davepl

If you have to order a new box, consider a faster ratio or even a CPP500 box. I'm about to have to do this myself...
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:01 PM   #10
Curbdog17

I ended up buying a used box from a 74 c20. It bolted right up no problem. I did need to trim the bumper bracket though.
Thanks for the info eveyone.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:28 PM   #11
FlameOut

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
If you have to order a new box, consider a faster ratio or even a CPP500 box. I'm about to have to do this myself...
I may have to go that route now too. In my post above, I said I had bought a re manufactured box from RockAuto (Lares 959) and now the damn thing is leaking after about a month. Right where the pitman arm attaches. It has a limited lifetime warranty, but I can already forsee the hassle of trying to return a 35 lb steering box, and then waiting months for a replacement

2004 Chevy Silverado Z71 Ext Cab 1500
1972 Chevy K-10 SOLD
1967 Chevelle SS
FlameOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:20 PM   #12
ck5566
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOut View Post
I may have to go that route now too. In my post above, I said I had bought a re manufactured box from RockAuto (Lares 959) and now the damn thing is leaking after about a month. Right where the pitman arm attaches. It has a limited lifetime warranty, but I can already forsee the hassle of trying to return a 35 lb steering box, and then waiting months for a replacement
There product was defective and they Will stand behind it, return should be on them 35 lbs or 100 lbs that's called a Warranty!

I had a similar return problem that when I called and talked to a tech person and explained what was going on with the front wheel cylinders being they had a fitment problem, I sent a Email to them with an explanation and some pics with what was wrong with there W/C's they seen the problem and Credited my Card with NO PROBLEMS also told me to keep the ones they original sent (no good to me).

In my opinion Rock Auto was right on the ball, never have I had any problems with any person on the other end of the phone.
ck5566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:15 PM   #13
franken

The local parts store can get it, but you may have to provide the number of the part you want. Every parts store has a website where you can enter details of the vehicle and find parts. Almost every parts store has halfwits working there that know almost less than nothing and can't do anything useful.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 01:26 AM   #14
ck5566
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken View Post
The local parts store can get it, but you may have to provide the number of the part you want. Every parts store has a website where you can enter details of the vehicle and find parts. Almost every parts store has halfwits working there that know almost less than nothing and can't do anything useful.
Not to be an a$$ but what did you start out doing in the work force? Most people have to start somewhere if what you are implying to the halfwit comment I don't thing that's fair to say. I sold auto parts back in the late 60's to mid 70's and a few years also in the early 80's and that had its challenger from time to time. To understand Autos these days you almost have to go to some kind of University or MIT or something like that too even understand why the Manufactures have did what they did to cars by making them so Fricken complicated. **Food for thought, Einstein in his early years of school wasn't that good at Mathematics but look what he accomplished later in his years. I guess in your mind Einstein at one point in time was a Halfwit.

I Apologize to any and everybody that this might have offended in any way, all or most of us start out somewhere by knowing or not knowing that's called LEARNING. I also might have been a little bit of a halfwit in my early days of growing up but with a little hard work I retired as a Electrical Engineer 30+ yrs under my belt. HOORAY for Halfwits!!! **I just had to get that off my mind.
Old 08-13-2016, 09:43 AM   #15
Corey'sgotachev

We are fortunate here in the PNW to have a local company that rebuilds steering boxes. I had great success on my 93 Jeep YJ.

Redheadsteering.com

https://www.redheadsteeringgears.com...tags=1&ixwps=1

^ appears to be what you are looking for?

Hope this helps...
Corey'sgotachev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:01 AM   #16
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Red head gears have a very good reputation. That's what's going on my K/20 when I get around to it. As for the parts store gears, I've had mixed results with their rebuild quality. A couple of those units leaked almost immediately out of the box, and 1 was ok.
I know that some people in the parts store are just starting out in adult life, but we've got a local guy here who's probably in his 50s that is as useless as a splinter in your butt. He used to manage the local dollar general before autozone came to town. Now he manages the autozone. Id probably have better luck with fence posts listening to and getting what I need. In my case with the exception of Napa, the local stores are all what I'll call "retail" experts. They are just trying to move parts and don't really care if it's what you need or not. None of them seem to have any one who has much of any automotive experience. They just put stuff in the 'puter and do what it says. Our Napa is pretty good at getting exactly what you need and not taking years and multiple trips to do it.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 12:36 PM   #17
bMr

+1 on Redhead. Their box is what is in my truck and is the about the best money I've ever spent on it. Day and night difference from my prior experience with rebuilt steering boxes.

I went through 3 parts-store rebuilt boxes on an '88 C1500. None were what I would call rebuilt, they were resealed and painted. And a waste of money and time.

+1, also, on the parts store halfwits. Though I doubt the rate of halfwits in that industry is greater than the rate of halfwits in other industries. It is just relative. Someone at NASA is probably calling a co-worker a halfwit, too.
bMr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 12:57 PM   #18
ck5566
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbdog17 View Post
I know, I tried autozone, advanced, and Orielly.
I might just get a junk yard box.
YOU MUST BE IN THE WRONG PART OF THE COUNTRY OR YOUR LOCAL PARTS STORES ARE NOT DOING THERE JOB RIGHT. HERE IN SO CAL WE HAVE NO PROBLEMS ORDERING A STEERING GEAR BOX. Also a lot of Restoration Catalog places have re manufactured gear box's. May be your not looking hard enough?
Old 10-14-2016, 06:15 PM   #19
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck5566 View Post
Not to be an a$$ but what did you start out doing in the work force? Most people have to start somewhere if what you are implying to the halfwit comment I don't thing that's fair to say.
I started out at 7-Eleven and I knew more about the products we sold than most parts counter people know about car parts. I still know what Clamato juice cost in 1988 (that'd be $2.85).

It's not about how smart you are (though it helps) or where you start out, it's about taking whatever job you HAVE seriously and doing it well.

Now, that said, there's always an exception. But those guys tend to wind up at NAPA I think... not Schucks.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 05:18 PM   #20
50mercfan

A1-Cardone part number; 27-7501. go to any parts store, they should be able to order it for you.
50mercfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 07:12 PM   #21
El Dorado Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck5566 View Post
Not to be an a$$ but what did you start out doing in the work force? Most people have to start somewhere if what you are implying to the halfwit comment I don't thing that's fair to say. I sold auto parts back in the late 60's to mid 70's and a few years also in the early 80's and that had its challenger from time to time. To understand Autos these days you almost have to go to some kind of University or MIT or something like that too even understand why the Manufactures have did what they did to cars by making them so Fricken complicated. **Food for thought, Einstein in his early years of school wasn't that good at Mathematics but look what he accomplished later in his years. I guess in your mind Einstein at one point in time was a Halfwit.

I Apologize to any and everybody that this might have offended in any way, all or most of us start out somewhere by knowing or not knowing that's called LEARNING. I also might have been a little bit of a halfwit in my early days of growing up but with a little hard work I retired as a Electrical Engineer 30+ yrs under my belt. HOORAY for Halfwits!!! **I just had to get that off my mind.
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote