The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-14-2013, 12:33 AM   #1
woodwright
Enjoying left field

70 GMC burb questions

I've been looking at a 70 1/2t gmc burb lately, and I have a few questions. As far as I know its all original, with a 402, automatic, and a tach dash. If I get it I will replace the big block with either an LS or a diesel, and an overdrive tranny. But I just wanted to make sure that this wasn't some super rare rig before i tear it apart. Also, how would I go about figuring out its value? I know it depends on the area.

70 Chevy 4WD "Ultimate Work Truck" SOLD
woodwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:47 AM   #2
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Re: 70 GMC burb questions

If you posted some pictures of the Burb it would be easier to evaluate and I'm sure you would get some informed good opinions on its value right here. A picture of the spid would be good as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:36 PM   #3
vectorit
What?

These trucks value system to me is purely subjective.
There are many things that pump up the value on these trucks, but I think the one thing that makes them bring premiums are when they are rust free unmolested originals.

If they have been repainted in their past, and have all the typical rust and wear and tear. I think it's all up to the owner on deciding where they focus the restoration, and how they go about doing it - either OE or some sort of modernization work.

In my opinion untouched, they only bring a few thousand.
Restored with new paint, typically they bring 10k+. Pro paint job on a Suburban is expensive in itself...

If I was going to restore to a degree of wanting to drive all of the time, and have fun with high speed limits I would definitely go with an LS upgrade.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:36 PM   #4
woodwright
Enjoying left field

As far as I can tell, its all original. I'm doing some work for the owner, and we've been talking about just trading for it. Hes got 4 trucks, 3 suburbans, 2 Blazers, all 67-72. Plus a 63 suburban, 72 lemans, and a couple other rigs. Hes got one suburban and one of the blazers that are restored, that he drives every day. The 70 that I'm looking at is the nicest of whats left. I'm not into building a trailer queen, I build drivers. Eventually, our daily drivers will be my 70 k10 with a 6.5TD, our 64 Nova with a FI inline 6 and a 5 speed, and a 67-72 blazer or suburban with a newer powerplant.

70 Chevy 4WD "Ultimate Work Truck" SOLD
woodwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:53 PM   #5
GuyO

It doesn't sound that - by the way you describe it as a "super rare rig". When you get the Vin, you can decode it and compare to Chevy production numbers to get an idea of uniqueness. How I bridge the gap of restore vs. Modify is I keep the old tranny and other original parts and do the performance upgrades. Also, there is nothing wrong in my opinion with a 402. That said, I like HEI, aluminum intakes, and 750 cfm carbs. You might be able to have your cake and eat it too!
GuyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:05 AM   #6
ThreeQtr

The value of the suburban's seem to be on options, years, and condition. Like everything else. The 1967 and four wheel drives being rarer.

This restored original one sold for $21,000 earlier this year.
Attached Images

ThreeQtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:01 AM   #7
ThreeQtr

Here is one made to look late model. It was owned by a member on here named Jeoff, but he also sold it earlier this year.
http://www.oldride.com/classic_trucks/735953.html Not affiliated with seller.
Attached Images

ThreeQtr is offline   Reply With Quote