The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-28-2016, 07:26 PM   #1
68 shotgun

Which headers don't bottom out

Hey guys, I'm kinda new to this so I. Swapping my turbo 400 for a Tremec TKO 5sd, I found out that i need headers to connect Zbar to rod.
So I need new headers, can sumbody tell me which headers will fit for 5 speed and not be lower then my frame. Truck is low already and going lower soon with air ride.
Please help!!!
Pics would be great to lol
Thank you...
68 shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:37 PM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Which headers don't bottom out

I'm sorry I can't specify a current offering, but I have never bought a set of full-length headers that sat lower than the frame. Maybe dumb luck, because so many say theirs hang lower. From my experience, if you use '73-up application headers they hang lower. Maybe some header companies are listing their 73-87 headers as working on 67-72, because they sort of do. I have some Sanderson shorties for my little '67 later on. I thought center dumps didn't work on 2wds, but the member I got them from took them off his truck and said they cleared. I'm see. I also have a set of Headman Elite full headers I haven't tried. To clear the bell crank you need headers that #7 drops vertical or slighty forward. I know old names that worked, but it's been a while since I've done a 2wd with manual transmission and those companies aren't around...Cyclone, Blackjack, etc all worked well

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:36 AM   #3
master 1969 c10

Hi there is a guy on the forum that Make special headers don't hang below the frame rails they are not cheap mine were stainless steel Coded $1000 look great fit great that was about 5 years ago
master 1969 c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 07:41 AM   #4
NC_John

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 shotgun View Post
Hey guys, I'm kinda new to this so I. Swapping my turbo 400 for a Tremec TKO 5sd, I found out that i need headers to connect Zbar to rod.
So I need new headers, can sumbody tell me which headers will fit for 5 speed and not be lower then my frame. Truck is low already and going lower soon with air ride.
Please help!!!
Pics would be great to lol
Thank you...
Check the last page of my build thread for a pic. I am running the Hedman mid-lengths and they stay pretty high. The little drop on the driver side is due to that collector being just a bit lower than the passenger side (maybe designed that way to clear shifter linkages??). I tried to just copy the pic to this reply but am not having any luck doing so on my iPad.

Instagram (current build pictures) 70_nc_c10
NC_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:04 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

You don't need to buy $1,000 custom headers. Someone will come along with an off the shelf header. This is a common problem on low manual trucks. The automatic guys just run 3/4 length. But those run right through the clutch linkage. My buddy neighbor Eddie built his '68, 4/6 drop, 4spd and tossed a set of old headers he had laying around and they run above the bottom of the frame. Frustrating. I asked what brand they were so I could offer help here and he said, "I dunno". so, just get a set of those

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:54 AM   #6
68 shotgun

Email me pics please
c.anastas76@gmail.com
Thank you...
68 shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote