The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-21-2018, 01:12 PM   #26
daddyjeep

Re: 1980 Chevy C10 - Ugly but Functional

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty76 View Post
Like your thinking. Soft 8s are cool.
... they are, but gold ones might be really cool
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=786514
daddyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 04:17 PM   #27
skyphix

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep View Post
... they are, but gold ones might be really cool
Thanks guys! I have used Plastidip to test out color changes on wheels many times in the past... and I have a connection with a local powder coater if I like them gold

I've always liked the white/gold theme but I followed rally racing for years so thats probably the influence. I wasnt sure if I'd like it on the truck but the photoshop looks pretty good to me...
skyphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 04:18 PM   #28
3drburb

Your truck is not ugly at all.
I played around with gold rallies for my project but used Oldsmobile engine gold because that's what I had on the shelf and I like it.
Attached Images

3drburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 04:37 PM   #29
skyphix

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3drburb View Post
Your truck is not ugly at all.
I played around with gold rallies for my project but used Oldsmobile engine gold because that's what I had on the shelf and I like it.

Thank you, and that does look good! Originally I was going to do a lot less body work than I am now, so it was going to be dented up with exposed trim holes just fresh paint - polishing a turd. Now I'm going to actually pull as many dents as I can, get it straight(ish, like the factory,) and spray it with single stage automotive paint rather than implement paint, so LESS ugly. My mechanical plans have changed too - rebuilding the front end completely, inspect and replace if needed the rear leafs - if they're in good shape they might get an add-a-leaf if the lowering springs in the front dont give me the stance I am looking for, and I will probably be going with a 4l60e or 4l80e right off the bat or soon after the swap is done and tested because the fluid color in my th350 is... not great.

Itching to get moving on it, but Im working 250 miles from home, and home just got dumped on by another 6" of snow, so I really need to figure something out to get it inside so I can start tearing it down.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:06 PM   #30
3drburb

That sounds like a nice plan.
That a long drive and tough weather to deal with.
If it still runs and drive you may be better off making it a driving project to keep your motivation up on those long days and tiring weekends, that's what I did on my Burb and I am so glad I did.
3drburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 12:21 PM   #31
skyphix

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3drburb View Post
That sounds like a nice plan.
That a long drive and tough weather to deal with.
If it still runs and drive you may be better off making it a driving project to keep your motivation up on those long days and tiring weekends, that's what I did on my Burb and I am so glad I did.
I’m home now - and now that there’s snow there’s liquid brine which in Maine kills metal quicker than anything I’ve ever seen, so it’s the perfect time to tear it down. It has been a driving project up to this point.

My plan is to do the body work other than paint between mechanical work over the winter. Realistically I wouldn’t drive it again until May or June when all the salt is off the roads anyway. In April or May I get a 2006 Yukon that is being junked but had a low mileage 5.3, so I want to have everything ready (suspension, brakes, steering, and trans sorted) by then to drop the 5.3 in and go. Hopefully have it ready for tech inspection at the local drag strip by August or so. It’s lofty goal considering I am learning on the fly but hoping the planning I’ve done keeps me on track and motivated. I mean, I’ve already gotten further with this project than any of my past car projects so it’s promising anyway. Funds will be my limiting factor, and a garage, but I’m working on both.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:28 PM   #32
skyphix

Small update:

I’ve been piecing together my wheels and thought I had all 4, but an incorrect part number screwed me. Luckily the seller is great and giving me a full refund and a return shipping label.

So I have one 17x9 with 4.25 backspacing soft 8 style wheels and two 17x8 with 4.5 backspacing soft 8 style wheels. Just gotta find that other 17x9 for a good price. I’m only about 140 into wheels so far, including shipping on them.

These things are definitely heavy. Going to want to pick lighter ones up eventually or at least a light set of wheels for the drag strip.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:49 PM   #33
808_67C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyphix View Post
Snow, cold, and working away means no real work on the truck until I get the garage situation sorted.

I have been playing around with learning photoshop and mocking up - this is a rough mock up I did quickly this afternoon. Wheels wont be the Rallyes but instead a 17x9 Soft-8 knock off because I got one on ebay for 23.50 shipped...

Wheels will probably be just black, the gold was just for fun
I remember the early 90s Camaro IROC came in white with gold... always like that! Be different and chance it!!! You can always change it later if you get bored of it.
67 C/10 SOLD http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489298
79 K5 Blazer SOLD http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=657461

Last edited by 808_67C10; 12-03-2018 at 08:54 PM.
808_67C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:45 AM   #34
LT7A

I really like those wheels, but yeah, at nearly 40 lbs a corner, I got a little concerned. But I haven't weighed the stockers, so maybe it's not that far off? Dunno.

That "Olds" gold looked good and there might be some options to go with paler gold, or a darker bronze gold that wouldn't look as "gold medal-ey" as the rendering. How ever you decide to do it, it's a nice way to add definition to the picture.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:43 PM   #35
skyphix

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808_67C10 View Post
I remember the early 90s Camaro IROC came in white with gold... always like that! Be different and chance it!!! You can always change it later if you get bored of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
I really like those wheels, but yeah, at nearly 40 lbs a corner, I got a little concerned. But I haven't weighed the stockers, so maybe it's not that far off? Dunno.

That "Olds" gold looked good and there might be some options to go with paler gold, or a darker bronze gold that wouldn't look as "gold medal-ey" as the rendering. How ever you decide to do it, it's a nice way to add definition to the picture.

Thanks guys. I am sure the wheel/tire package will be quite a bit heavier than the small stock rallyes Ive got, but it gets me rolling for cheap and I doubt tires will last me too terrible long with the LS swap and a drag strip 15 minutes from my house

I'll see how far I get with the paint job this spring - if it ends up just getting primed then the wheels will stay black, but if I get to where I paint it white, I think a darker gold is where I'll go with it. Probably slightly darker than what the rendering shows. I like a dark but still bright gold against white (akin to the 04/05 Subaru WRX STi - I daily drove one for 80k miles in 2004/5 but it was black with gold wheels.)

This is basically a "getting it running, not right" year for my truck, so its a good time to experiment, hah!
Old 12-10-2018, 06:08 PM   #36
skyphix

Some turns of events:

I am pushing body work to the "between mechanical work" level - so it may or may not get painted before next summer. It doesn't need a ton, but I know once I start, I won't be able to NOT get it as perfect as possible so rather than hold the project up because there's still a wave after I pull one of the more difficult dents, I am going to do the super obvious stuff (bad patch jobs, fix the floor, etc) and push that to next winter.

I also decided I am going to bend a piece of sheet metal and replace my gauges with a simple panel and tablet mount. I work in IT as my day job and while the truck is keeping a sort of grungy/budget feel, tablet is way cheaper for me to set up after the LS swap than the gauges I'd otherwise want to have.

LS Swap piece is pretty much hashed out. I found a local company that does the harness conversions for me, and they also have good prices on used OD transmissions. I'm thinking a 4L60E gets me on the road on the cheap and will hold up while the 5.3 is stock with such a light truck not doing any work. Once I burn that up I'll upgrade to an 80 OR if an 80E pops up at the shop for the right price (under 800, lets say) at the right time, I'll go straight to that and never have to worry again for the power levels this particular engine will see.

Engine is going to get dropped in bone stock with the exception of some swap cast manifolds. Small shot of nitrous will get added once the bugs are worked out, and a HEALTHY cam next winter. Shooting for sub 9 in the 1/8 after the cam and maybe a 7.9 with nitrous and other supporting mods.

The trans was unexpected but my Th350 I dont think is in the best shape. I am also pushing the need for better gears and either a locker or a limited slip up the list pretty far.

I am fully rebuilding the front suspension and going to go through the rear brakes - they are sticky and grabby and tend to apply well before the fronts, despite the correct MC, so I am guessing there is some adjustment needed. I also ended up buying wheels and tires this year which I hadnt planned on. Once I get the tires on, I'll know where I need to trim in front to make them fit and not rub.

So next spring it will probably still be primer, albeit fresh primer with a sealer, but way more mechanically sound with a fully rebuilt suspension, brakes that have been gone through more thoroughly, some safety stuff like seatbelts that are actually bolted down and work, and a functional dashboard... on top of the LS Swap.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:21 AM   #37
808_67C10

Quote:
Some turns of events:

I am pushing body work to the "between mechanical work" level - so it may or may not get painted before next summer. It doesn't need a ton, but I know once I start, I won't be able to NOT get it as perfect as possible so rather than hold the project up because there's still a wave after I pull one of the more difficult dents, I am going to do the super obvious stuff (bad patch jobs, fix the floor, etc) and push that to next winter.

I also decided I am going to bend a piece of sheet metal and replace my gauges with a simple panel and tablet mount. I work in IT as my day job and while the truck is keeping a sort of grungy/budget feel, tablet is way cheaper for me to set up after the LS swap than the gauges I'd otherwise want to have.

LS Swap piece is pretty much hashed out. I found a local company that does the harness conversions for me, and they also have good prices on used OD transmissions. I'm thinking a 4L60E gets me on the road on the cheap and will hold up while the 5.3 is stock with such a light truck not doing any work. Once I burn that up I'll upgrade to an 80 OR if an 80E pops up at the shop for the right price (under 800, lets say) at the right time, I'll go straight to that and never have to worry again for the power levels this particular engine will see.

Engine is going to get dropped in bone stock with the exception of some swap cast manifolds. Small shot of nitrous will get added once the bugs are worked out, and a HEALTHY cam next winter. Shooting for sub 9 in the 1/8 after the cam and maybe a 7.9 with nitrous and other supporting mods.

The trans was unexpected but my Th350 I dont think is in the best shape. I am also pushing the need for better gears and either a locker or a limited slip up the list pretty far.

I am fully rebuilding the front suspension and going to go through the rear brakes - they are sticky and grabby and tend to apply well before the fronts, despite the correct MC, so I am guessing there is some adjustment needed. I also ended up buying wheels and tires this year which I hadnt planned on. Once I get the tires on, I'll know where I need to trim in front to make them fit and not rub.

So next spring it will probably still be primer, albeit fresh primer with a sealer, but way more mechanically sound with a fully rebuilt suspension, brakes that have been gone through more thoroughly, some safety stuff like seatbelts that are actually bolted down and work, and a functional dashboard... on top of the LS Swap.
Sounds like a hell of a plan bro - need pics or none of it happened! LOL
67 C/10 SOLD http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489298
79 K5 Blazer SOLD http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=657461
808_67C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 11:58 AM   #38
skyphix

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808_67C10 View Post
Sounds like a hell of a plan bro - need pics or none of it happened! LOL
There will be more soon! Probably after the new year. Im working on the garage situation since Maine isn't exactly warm in the winter months. Stay tuned!
Old 01-04-2019, 03:00 PM   #39
skyphix

It was 36 degrees on new years eve so I decided to start her up and let her idle, and take a video for when I sell the engine. I should have the front end apart and the engine and trans pulled in a month or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Jz_ybBeg-E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbMIiYaBwTo
Old 01-14-2019, 03:00 PM   #40
nobox351y

Swapping in a 4l80e has made my daily driver a lot more fun. From the t400-to a 4l80e has me wanting to drive it all over. Wish I would have done it when I first swapped the ls into the truck.

Keep up the good work.
nobox351y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 05:36 PM   #41
skyphix

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobox351y View Post
Swapping in a 4l80e has made my daily driver a lot more fun. From the t400-to a 4l80e has me wanting to drive it all over. Wish I would have done it when I first swapped the ls into the truck.

Keep up the good work.
Excellent! That makes me feel better about the unbudgeted extra expense. I had planned on doing it down the road anyway and decided rather than having to buy a transmission controller then, I'll just leverage my PCM to control both and do the 4L80E now.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:27 AM   #42
nobox351y

I have only worked with the older 99-02 pcm. Do some research on what you need for the 4l80e and pcm. At some point the transmissions got their own controller and some guys have had difficulty making different year pcm and tcm working together.

At the same time, a 4l80e controller from jakes transmission is $180 if it becomes a real problem.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:39 AM   #43
skyphix

Quote:
I have only worked with the older 99-02 pcm. Do some research on what you need for the 4l80e and pcm. At some point the transmissions got their own controller and some guys have had difficulty making different year pcm and tcm working together.

At the same time, a 4l80e controller from jakes transmission is $180 if it becomes a real problem.

When I talked to the company thats doing my wiring harness (same company I am getting my trans from) they said the 06 is still a PCM and can control both with the correct program flashed on. Since I am having them flash my PCM anyway to get rid of the VATS and all of that garbage they'll load on the 4L80E control portions at that point. My PCM is from an 06 Yukon 4x4 but they said it'd work just fine.

I'm also going to throw my parts/price sheet up here. I have this as a Google document but can put it in Excel in case anyone else wants it.

Here's a direct link to the full size image
https://i.imgur.com/yxnM9B4.jpg
Attached Images

Last edited by skyphix; 01-16-2019 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Uploading the price sheet made it tiny and unreadable.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:37 AM   #44
nobox351y

Glad you got answers for all of that stuff. Hope you're making some progress.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:48 PM   #45
skyphix

Quote:
Glad you got answers for all of that stuff. Hope you're making some progress.

Getting two feet of snow this weekend so most of the actual TRUCK progress is slowed, but I am working on building some of the smaller stuff - mount for the tablet, I got a bluetooth speaker as an interim solution for an audio system before I go all out and build a removable sound wall for behind the seat, so I need to build a mount for that, working on a wiring harness for my new horns, etc. Nothing really exciting as of yet.

As you can see in the spreadsheet, I order the front end parts in February - that is the first task since its a safety thing. Then I'll yank the engine and trans out, maybe fix my passenger side door hinge pins, etc.

Thanks for following and your encouragement!
Old 02-11-2019, 11:35 AM   #46
skyphix

Didn't want to let this die off and I had forgotten to update this. I found a high mileage 5.3 with a lifter tick (but ran strong and had decent power) for $150 - complete, including harness, PCM, fuse block, etc. So I picked that up unexpectedly to teach myself to rebuild. Its under cover right now but I'll be disassembling it as I can and bringing pieces actually into the house to rebuild them, keeping it protected and fogged with oil as parts come inside. This is purely a learning experience, so if I find something catastrophic, its not a big deal to me. It will ultimately, as long as the block is in decent shape which I suspect it is, get rebuilt stock-ish, then turbo, then forged internals with a 4" crank and .030 over to keep pretty thick walls for more boost and put into a semi-dedicated "budget" race car (i.e. fox body mustang, 2nd or 3rd gen F Body, etc.) Thats bucket listing though so for right now, its just a base for me to learn internal engine work for now.

I also have basically taken possession of my donor vehicle. I don't physically have it - I have to sell a couple of vehicles first to make room for it here but I should have it here no later than April (approx 2 months ahead of schedule.)

Confirmed its a Z code flex fuel (L59) with non-CasTech 706 heads. Other than frame rot its actually extremely clean so I am hoping to fund part of my swap by parting out the remainder of the Yukon. All I'm using is parts of the exhaust, the engine/wiring/etc, gas pedal... everything else will be posted locally. Engine has under 50,000 miles on it so I plan on keeping this pretty close to stock. There's some history with this engine that I'd like to not take a chance of completely blowing it up until I can rebuild it myself. Hah! I know its quite a bit of work to swap engines back and forth as I rebuild the cheap high mileage core I picked up but I really don't mind - its good practice and I enjoy it. I also have the stock 79ish SBC and TH350 I have to figure out what I am going to do with. Do I teach myself to rebuild transmissions on the TH350? Do I sell it as a rebuildable core? Same with the 79 SBC. I'll probably just sell that as a running engine that could use a refresh since I seem to have settled on or at least focused on Gen3/4 SBC's vs. Gen 1/2's.

Its been a wet winter here - snow followed by rain and then sub-arctic temperatures so everything is ice, which means no progress on my truck at all. I'm OK with that. I've pushed body work (Besides floor board and a new spray of sealer/primer) to this summer and am focusing on preparing for the drivetrain swap by collecting parts and tools needed.

Hopefully everyone is having a good and productive winter!
Old 03-03-2019, 12:06 AM   #47
skyphix

Still getting hammered with weather with another 8-12" coming Monday, so no progress on the truck... but parts ordering is happening, and I am working on selling my 4runner so that I can get the Yukon here and order the remainder of the swap parts, including the trans. I'll probably dig the truck out so I can get the dashboard torn down to figure out what I am going to do with my tablet for the gauge cluster.

Decided to sell the old engine and trans combo - I'll pick up a TH400 to back my turbo engine for the race car build (more on that later) with the cash I get from this.

I got my tablet dashboard setup and I'm testing it in my current daily driver. GPS on the tablet is TERRIBLE so I'm just going to use the OBDII speed until I fix the GPS code.

I got my tablet mount in, just need to figure out exactly how I'm going to mount it to the dash/column.

Just found a set of exhaust manifolds off of an envoy - I had almost decided to go with Speedway Engineering shorty headers instead but I paid $100 shipped for the exhaust manifolds so thats a $70 savings over the shorty headers where I wouldn't likely see much benefit anyway.

Still need to figure out tires for the new wheels as well - going with 275/60/17 in the rear and the front tire size is up in the air. Part of me wants to just do 255/60/17's in the front to really fill out the wheel wells and trim whatever I have to to make them fit, part me of me says just do 245/55/17 and not worry about clearance, and gain some additional rake.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:59 AM   #48
skyphix

Its snowing here AGAIN, and will turn to rain/ice tonight, with more snow tomorrow night. On the order of 10" over the next couple of days is possible.

I've been doing some mock ups for little things like my gauge cluster tablet and bluetooth speaker, but since my garage flooded and the weather hasn't been cooperating to get it cleaned out, I can't even set up a small welding station out there, or even set up my engine stand to get the L59 out of the Yukon and swap out the exhaust manifolds.

I did find a local place that has some used tires in a size that will work on the front for me. 235/65/17 - about a 29" tall tire. I am using a 30" tall tire in the rear. I am pretty confident the 235/65/17 will fit in the front since I have gobs of room with a 235 cross section 29" tall tire right now, even with a spacer to help clear my drop spindles. I won't need the spacer with the new wheels. Used tires were a cheaper way to make sure of that before I buy a matching set front and rear.

I'm trying to sell my motorcycle, and my 4runner to help fund this project and some maintenance/repair on the 4 season daily drivers, and eliminate some debt so I can pick up a new (used) 4 season daily this fall (04-07 CTS-V.)

Frustrated at the moment with no progress, but figured I'd update this for anyone following.

Last edited by skyphix; 04-08-2019 at 12:45 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 12:28 PM   #49
daddyjeep

Quote:
Its snowing here AGAIN, and will turn to rain/ice tonight, with more snow tomorrow night. On the order of 10" over the next couple of days is possible.

I'm trying to sell my motorcycle, and my 4runner to help fund this project and some maintenance/repair on the 4 season daily drivers, and eliminate some debt so I can pick up a new (used) 4 season daily this fall (04-07 CTS-V.)

Frustrated at the moment with no progress, but figured I'd update this for anyone following.
You keep that s&#$ up there. Pick whatever 4 letter "S" work you want for that. I've had enough for one year.

CTS V for an all season car. That could be fun to drift around in when the white stuff falls.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=786514
daddyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:24 PM   #50
skyphix

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep View Post
You keep that s&#$ up there. Pick whatever 4 letter "S" work you want for that. I've had enough for one year.

CTS V for an all season car. That could be fun to drift around in when the white stuff falls.
Trust me, we've called it worse things than any S word in the last week or so. Ended up with 6" of snow (and the flu) yesterday.

I just had a job change which puts me driving a lot less, and I figure with a good set of snows the CTS-V makes the perfect winter vehicle, hah! 400hp and rwd makes the most sense for for sure.

I will probably wind up getting a beater truck/SUV as well but thats only for really bad days when I have no choice but to go out. My career actually allows me to work from anywhere, so if I cant make it into the office, its not that big of a deal.