The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-15-2018, 09:58 AM   #301
Willie Makeit

Re: LS factory cruise control hook up

Hey man ... tried to reply to your last PM but it states your inbox is full.

thanks!
Willie Makeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:45 AM   #302
78PlowRepo

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemade87 View Post
Heres a picture of what I did on mine . I wired it to work along side of the cruise control . It is not wired in to the pcm . The light is energized when I hit cruise . So when the cruise is set the light will come on . Also when I hit the brake it is disengaged . It has worked like clock work . If you did not know how it was wired you would never know the difference . I wired it to engage a relay when you hit cruise . I use the same power supply from the set button to energize both . It has never hiccuped .
homemade87 Would you please tell me more about your cluster. I've never seen a factory cluster with a cruise indicator in it. Does it also have a MIL? What year is it? What did it come out of? Did you mod it? I'd be grateful if you could share a full pic of it so I can see what gauges are beyond the frame. I would love to have one like this in my truck as I really dig the large tach with the mini fuel in one.

lsnova71 I know it's been a while since you offered to the group, but I'd like to get on the waiting list for one of your refurbished cruise turn signal levers. I hate how the aftermarket switches are backwards.

This is my first forum membership thru all the years of web crawling. Thank you to everyone for sharing their knowledge...without you many of our projects wouldn't be. Cheers!
78PlowRepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:46 AM   #303
Jbalgiere

pm sent
Jbalgiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 11:07 PM   #304
elf w/capital T

Ahhhmaazziinngggg! Thanks guys!
elf w/capital T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 02:37 PM   #305
BlueJeep

Thanks to the volumes of information in this thread, I'm almost there to cruise control! Wiring is done and checks out. I have an s10 steering column that doesn't send power to the C terminal when the RA button is pushed....so I ordered a new cruise control switch. I believe when I have this fixed I still won't have working cruise because I have LED taillights.

LS1NOVA71 has said that putting an 1157 bulb off the brake switch should give the resistance I need to overcome this. My question is, what does it take for a resistor to do this same thing. Common 6ohm 50 watt resistors they sell for LED's advertise as getting very hot. I'd rather not have something under the dash that gets hot like this but will if that's my best option. Are there other options? Thanks!

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
88 Jeep Wrangler rockcrawler
BlueJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:21 AM   #306
ls1nova71

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJeep View Post
Thanks to the volumes of information in this thread, I'm almost there to cruise control! Wiring is done and checks out. I have an s10 steering column that doesn't send power to the C terminal when the RA button is pushed....so I ordered a new cruise control switch. I believe when I have this fixed I still won't have working cruise because I have LED taillights.

LS1NOVA71 has said that putting an 1157 bulb off the brake switch should give the resistance I need to overcome this. My question is, what does it take for a resistor to do this same thing. Common 6ohm 50 watt resistors they sell for LED's advertise as getting very hot. I'd rather not have something under the dash that gets hot like this but will if that's my best option. Are there other options? Thanks!
I have found out that resistors do tend to get hot which is why I never use them. You can also use a micro relay, using only the coil part which will also work, and being a relay they are made to be on for extended amounts of time without getting hot.

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 07:38 PM   #307
BlueJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1nova71 View Post
I have found out that resistors do tend to get hot which is why I never use them. You can also use a micro relay, using only the coil part which will also work, and being a relay they are made to be on for extended amounts of time without getting hot.
Thanks! I like that idea a lot better. I'll do that this weekend and report back.

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
Old 06-01-2019, 12:41 PM   #308
BlueJeep

I picked up a new cruise control switch this week and a micro relay and holder. Got the switch replaced and everything now tested out good. Then installed the relay (just the coil) and now my cruise works!

Thanks for all the info in this thread! My 16 hour drive on Friday to the start of the Hot Rod Power Tour will be so much more enjoyable this year.

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
Old 06-01-2019, 01:35 PM   #309
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: LS factory cruise control hook up

Quote:
I picked up a new cruise control switch this week and a micro relay and holder. Got the switch replaced and everything now tested out good. Then installed the relay (just the coil) and now my cruise works!

Thanks for all the info in this thread! My 16 hour drive on Friday to the start of the Hot Rod Power Tour will be so much more enjoyable this year.
I have had one of ls1nova71 unit's now for a couple of years. I had alarm and auto start installed after I did the cruise. I went to use it and it wouldn't work. I kept putting it off because I don't drive the truck every day. Well I drove the truck a few weeks ago from SC to Mississippi without cruise. I fixed it this past week because I will be going on my 6th HRPT as a L/H in it this year. I drove my 56 Bel Air last year.

BlueJeep;8535108 if you need anything when you get close to Charlotte hollar at me. Your welcome to run with us if you like also.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 06:10 PM   #310
ls1nova71

Quote:

Glad you got it going! I assume you're driving straight through? What kind of vehicle are you driving? I'm leaving Thursday, will be in a rusty '33 Ford 4 door. If you see it, stop by and say hi!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
I have had one of ls1nova71 unit's now for a couple of years. I had alarm and auto start installed after I did the cruise. I went to use it and it wouldn't work. I kept putting it off because I don't drive the truck every day. Well I drove the truck a few weeks ago from SC to Mississippi without cruise. I fixed it this past week because I will be going on my 6th HRPT as a L/H in it this year.
Andy, glad you got it fixed! I'll keep my eye out for your truck.

Old 06-01-2019, 06:28 PM   #311
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: LS factory cruise control hook up

Quote:
Glad you got it going! I assume you're driving straight through? What kind of vehicle are you driving? I'm leaving Thursday, will be in a rusty '33 Ford 4 door. If you see it, stop by and say hi!

If your doing the tour you need to hook up with me on Friday. We have Friday night vet car show in Mooresville plus Saturday night starting line party at a friends house with plenty of free food. BBQ will be the main course. Bring your own bottles. There will be several members here and from the Bang shift forum. You need anything hollar. I'm from Charlotte area and the guy doing the starting line party has lifts in his garage if anything needs last minute work. He doesn't charge nothing but donations are welcome. Most work is done for beer!
I hope we can meet up I'd like to thank you for the help on the cruise.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 06-01-2019, 07:21 PM   #312
BlueJeep

Quote:
I have had one of ls1nova71 unit's now for a couple of years. I had alarm and auto start installed after I did the cruise. I went to use it and it wouldn't work. I kept putting it off because I don't drive the truck every day. Well I drove the truck a few weeks ago from SC to Mississippi without cruise. I fixed it this past week because I will be going on my 6th HRPT as a L/H in it this year. I drove my 56 Bel Air last year.

BlueJeep;8535108 if you need anything when you get close to Charlotte hollar at me. Your welcome to run with us if you like also.
Thanks! I might have to look you up.

Quote:

I drove straight through last year, and it was no fun! Leaving Friday AM, will get there Saturday PM. Will stop somewhere along the way. If I run into you I will thank you in person!
I'll be in this:
Attached Images

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
Old 06-13-2019, 10:37 PM   #313
67C10GS

awesome thread, subbed for sure
Old 06-19-2019, 09:38 AM   #314
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: LS factory cruise control hook up

It was sure nice finally meeting you ls1nova71. The cruise worked great. The truck ran fine all week.

BlueJeep sorry we never got together. I passed you on the 4 lanes coming out of the Cumberland Gap tunnel though.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 06-20-2019, 11:42 PM   #315
ls1nova71

Quote:
It was sure nice finally meeting you ls1nova71. The cruise worked great. The truck ran fine all week.
Nice meeting you too Andy, its cool to be able to put a face to a name! Also met NC_John, BlueJeep, and dayj1 on the tour, it was definitely the place to meet people.

Old 06-21-2019, 10:35 PM   #316
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: LS factory cruise control hook up

Quote:
Nice meeting you too Andy, its cool to be able to put a face to a name! Also met NC_John, BlueJeep, and dayj1 on the tour, it was definitely the place to meet people.
Yes it is for sure. I would like to see some more of the ride you where in on the tour. That thing was nice.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 06-26-2019, 03:49 PM   #317
clay68c10

Any chance you have any more switches?
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 08:05 PM   #318
TA_C10

Quote:
You are corrrect. I didn't mention it because relays have the ability to confuse the heck out of some people. On this set up, if you were only using the relay for a load, you could just tap it into the brake light wiring, in either the right or left brake light, it doesnt matter you only need one, and just use the 85 and 86 terminals of the relay, the module would see ground with enough resistance through the relay coil. If someone wants me to draw a diagram i will, just let me know.

Posted via Mobile Device
I just want to clarify post #9 in this thread in case someone else comes along like I did. I created all my own diagrams before I installed my new wiring harness and when you get into the details you need to know exactly how this works.

So cruise control(dbw or cable box), LED lights, and a relay. What ls1nova71 means exactly here is that you take the brake switch wire(from the inside of cab, white wire off switch) or either left or right brake light wire outside of cab, and splice into that, one end of the wire attached to relay 85 pin, the other end of the wire attached to relay 86 pin. You DO NOT GROUND the relay. You are only using the relay coil inside the relay like it's a "resistor".

Someone like me who needed that detail, might benefit from this post.

EDIT: See posts below, I was wrong....

"It's only money".

Last edited by TA_C10; 03-06-2020 at 01:45 PM.
TA_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 03:24 AM   #319
ls1nova71

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA_C10 View Post
So cruise control(dbw or cable box), LED lights, and a relay. What ls1nova71 means exactly here is that you take the brake switch wire(from the inside of cab, white wire off switch) or either left or right brake light wire outside of cab, and splice into that, one end of the wire attached to relay 85 pin, the other end of the wire attached to relay 86 pin. You DO NOT GROUND the relay. You are only using the relay coil inside the relay like it's a "resistor".
This is not exactly what I meant. I suppose you could wire it this way, however, by splicing the relay in as you describe, you are putting it in series rather than parallel in which case you would be losing some voltage to the brake lights. This may not be noticable on LED brake lights though, but I would recommend just tapping off the brake switch wire and grounding the other side of the relay so you have the full 12v going to the brake lights.

Old 03-06-2020, 01:41 PM   #320
TA_C10

Oh, so you DO ground the other side of the relay? Ok, that is how I have it now and I thought I had it wrong after re-reading your post and the wording you used. I'm no wiring expert so I sometime need things explained to me like I am a 3 yr old....

I have the American Autowire harness so I used the 3rd brake light wire(blue) that is tapped into the white wire already on the brake switch connections.

"It's only money".
TA_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 07:39 PM   #321
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

I am currently in the middle of a 2013 LS truck swap into a '86 C10. I am trying to connect the TCC wires between the 2 trucks. I have the 2 (lt blue/wht stripe) wires ID... both come from the same pin at the '13 ECM. I have ID the lt. blue wire & brown/wht stripe wire from the '86 switch (in cab). The '86 lt blue wire comes thru the firewall with a green wire both end at a connector, the green wire then runs single to a connector (byself). looking for help with how/what to connect at what point(s)? any assistance would be greatly appreciated .... thank you again!
rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 11:29 PM   #322
ls1nova71

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodstored-72 View Post
I am currently in the middle of a 2013 LS truck swap into a '86 C10. I am trying to connect the TCC wires between the 2 trucks. I have the 2 (lt blue/wht stripe) wires ID... both come from the same pin at the '13 ECM. I have ID the lt. blue wire & brown/wht stripe wire from the '86 switch (in cab). The '86 lt blue wire comes thru the firewall with a green wire both end at a connector, the green wire then runs single to a connector (byself). looking for help with how/what to connect at what point(s)? any assistance would be greatly appreciated .... thank you again!
Just saw your post on LS1Tech and figured it would be easier to get in touch on here and saw this post. Anyway, basically on a GenIV swap, you just have to hook the TCC wire to the brake switch so that it has power when the brakes are APPLIED, the opposite of the older engines. So just test the two wires on the brake switch, one will be hot all the time and the other will be hot when you press the brake pedal, hook it to that wire, the same wire that supplies power to the brake lights.

Old 11-24-2020, 02:21 PM   #323
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

ls1nova71, THANK YOU!!for the reply... I guess (then if I understand) the lt blue wire from the '86 (coming out from Firewall) is the hot wire when brakes APPLIED then I can connect 1 of the '13 lt blue wire to it? also what do I do with the 2nd lt blue wire from the same pin from the '13 ECM? for some reason the '13 "X conn." at the mounted factory underhood fuse box has 2 small ga. lt blue wires coming from the same pin, this is what is confusing me... I don't understand the purpose of 2 wires splitting at the factory connector - if the wires do different things... i am having a hard time with deciphering the '13 wire diagram

I appreciate your patience I am far from a electrical guy.. so I apologize for my dumb questions I can tell by your builds that you are very knowledgable and talented builder
Old 11-24-2020, 07:40 PM   #324
ls1nova71

Thanks for the compliments, sounds like you are on the right track. As for the second wire coming from the ECM, without looking at a schematic its hard to know for sure what it went to, but it was something on 2013 truck, something your swap doesn't have, so you can just cut the remaining wire out or tape it up good so it doesn't short out against anything.

Old 11-28-2020, 01:42 PM   #325
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

LS1nova71, THANK YOU!! I am going to wire test this weekend & then finish that particular connection. My next big hurdle is the grey fuel pump pwr wire ('13 ecm) to go ??? with the factory dual tanks from the '86!

I really appreciate your time in answering questions!! the board is still good to have for me being an 'ol skool guy W/O FB or IG ...