The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-02-2018, 02:45 PM   #1
UmmYeahOk

Replacement for rear shock bumper?

Hello there. First post as a new member. A month or so ago my husband purchased a 2nd Series 55 GMC 100, and as he started restoring it from the ground up, he noticed that something was odd about these rear mounts in the pictures. It appears as though one of them has broken in half and was lost at some point during its lifetime.

Anyway, I’m trying to source a replacement. New or used, doesn’t matter. He can’t seem to locate it in any parts catalog, and we’ve been digging in swap meets with no luck. Also, what is the official term for this part?
Attached Images

UmmYeahOk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 04:52 PM   #2
sack54

Re: Replacement for rear shock bumper?

that looks like overload spring, add on try a spring shop they should be able to help you out
sack54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 06:32 PM   #3
1project2many

Hello and welcome,

That does not appear to be a factory part. I'm betting that is a type of "load assist" or "helper spring."
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 11:48 PM   #4
dsraven

yup,aftermarket add on overload or helper as said. if you can't find one then try a spring shop that makes springs, or get rid of it and install an air bag helper spring or the extra leaf pack style with frame bumper blocks.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 03:17 AM   #5
MiraclePieCo

Welcome!

If you're doing a restoration you can discard that part entirely; it was not an original GM part and not necessary unless you're hauling heavy loads.

Got any more pictures of the truck?
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:47 AM   #6
dsraven

if doing a restoration that part, and the corresponding "seat" welded to the frame part, could be removed. remember that you then do not have a suspension snubber (in case a big bump or large load causes the suspension to bottom out against the bare frame) so you would need to install something there. if not worried about the stock look then maybe a urethane snubber from a newer truck, like an S10 or the like. they are taller but hollow so the strike sooner but have a softer feel than a simple thin rubber block that will still leave the chiropractor happy. \just a thought.
my old 57 gmc came with a set of short leafs mounted on a small spacer above the stock spring set. there were corresponding frame mounted bumpers for the spring tips to hit when a large load was hauled. no load equals normal ride, a load that would sink the bumpers down equals the springs hitting the frame bumper brackets and the overload springs will take some weight. if an overload spring is what you need you may consider that option. spring shops could fix you up.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:11 PM   #7
UmmYeahOk

I don’t quite know where to locate a spring shop, or if I should just buy a modernized kit. Where I live, EVERYONE owns a truck, and we were holding out. But honestly, my car has hauled more and done more off road than the majority here in town, which is why we held out so long. This truck was supposed to be a parts hauler, but quickly became a project designed to be flipped... ...bad term for vehicles... ...project for sale. We plan on using it ourselves and just wait for the right offer. If there are aftermarket kits for brand new trucks, than do they not come with helper/overload springs from the factory?

Last edited by UmmYeahOk; 05-03-2018 at 03:36 PM.
UmmYeahOk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 02:47 PM   #8
dsraven

not sure about if your truck came with overloads as an option. if you are flipping then I assume you won't be doing a "back to stock" rebuild so I recommend to remove the set up there and simply install some suspension snubbers, cut off the steel angle bracket that is attached to the frame part, and carry on. the stock snubber is likely similar to a rubber block that bolts onto the frame on the same bracket as the one that is above the axle. ity was likely removed then the overloads or helpers were installed. gotta have something there though.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:49 PM   #9
dsraven

or simply bolted to the frame in the middle of the bend over the axle. you can see thewm in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCoFRr6toko
Old 05-03-2018, 04:12 PM   #10
mr48chev

The guys are correct, those were an add on part from the parts house.

they were were bolted on in place of the stock rubber bumper that bolts to the bracket that is riveted to the frame

Take a look at the second photo down the page in this Jim Carter link and compare it to what you have. You need the replacement piece for the rubber part, That chunk of metal probably unbolts http://oldchevytrucks.com/blog/index.php/tag/rear-axle/

The piece you need looks like this. http://www.classicpartsusa.com/produ...SABEgLN8fD_BwE

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote