The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2017, 11:42 PM   #1
mattchooch

broken rear drive shaft

so last Saturday i was driving on the free way and i heard funny sound coming out of my blazer. then out of nowhere i heard a loud pop. it was my rear dive shaft. im not really an expert about drive shafts but my blazer has a 3 inch lift and on both side of the drive shafts the u joints broke. n i have a leak from my transfer case and the piece where the u joints connect to the transfer case is broken.... any advise
mattchooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 01:39 PM   #2
cleszkie

Re: broken rear drive shaft

Sounds like you either had misalignment of the driveshaft angles and/or u-joints that needed maintenance/replacement really badly. Could have also been a retaining strap on your rear pinion yoke letting go or coming loose enough to let the rear u-joint free. Once one end lets go and you don't stop right away, the other end will go. Either way, it isn't pretty. Just be thankful it didn't punch through the floor of the Blazer, or hit another motorist.

Do you run a CV joint, or do you just have two standard u-joints on either end of the driveshaft? The broken piece you are talking about is called the transfer case rear output driveshaft yoke. These can be purchased new. The leak is probably due to damage to the output seal that rides on the yoke. That is also available new.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 02:53 PM   #3
mattchooch

Re: broken rear drive shaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleszkie View Post
Sounds like you either had misalignment of the driveshaft angles and/or u-joints that needed maintenance/replacement really badly. Could have also been a retaining strap on your rear pinion yoke letting go or coming loose enough to let the rear u-joint free. Once one end lets go and you don't stop right away, the other end will go. Either way, it isn't pretty. Just be thankful it didn't punch through the floor of the Blazer, or hit another motorist.

Do you run a CV joint, or do you just have two standard u-joints on either end of the driveshaft? The broken piece you are talking about is called the transfer case rear output driveshaft yoke. These can be purchased new. The leak is probably due to damage to the output seal that rides on the yoke. That is also available new.
yeah i just use the the 2 standard u joints
mattchooch is offline   Reply With Quote