The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-18-2017, 08:18 PM   #1
Charliechevy

Help! Seatbelt bolt

Hey, so I messed up I was taking the bolts out of the seat belt in my C20 and broke them off, I've been trying to drill them out with no luck at all any suggestions?
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Charliechevy; 09-18-2017 at 08:26 PM.
Charliechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:30 PM   #2
truckster

Re: Help! Seatbelt bolt

If you can, weld a nut to the broken bolt. It gives you something to grip, and the heat will loosen it right up.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:36 PM   #3
mongocanfly
Post Whore

some pics of the damage would help get more detailed responses...but as truckster stated the ol "weld a nut on it" trick works well..
and welcome aboard...
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 01:11 AM   #4
'63GENIII

If it is going through the floor, it may be buggered up on the end causing it to bind / strip while coming up into the cab. Might try the welding trick and bring it all the way through from the bottom?

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:35 AM   #5
In The Ten Ring

As soon as I read the title I thought "someone broke one off." I figured so because I broke a gas tank retainer bolt.

The main thing seems to be center punching the bolt head well. Drill all the way through the bolt till you come out the pointed end of the bolt. First pass is a small bit, your pilot hole. Increase the size of your hole with larger bits each time. This relieves the pressure on the bolt.

Get a fluted extractor (these are square shaped with the corners being sharp flutes) and ram that into the now hollow bolt. Remove the extractor with a crescent wrench or your drill counterclockwise. You may have to chase your bolt hole threads with a tap and die set (I do not own one but my dad does).

I know all this because that is what my dad showed me when I screwed up trying to extract my broken bolt and even broke off the extractor head in the shallow hole I had drilled in the bolt shaft (I used a Dremel Tool to grind that out).

I had asked him about welding on a nut but no 220 in my garage and no room for a welder anyway. Then you'd have to wonder about shielding your floor paint from heat but I don't know, you won't be on that broken bolt but a second or two with your arc.

Good luck. Hit us with pics if you can so we can give better advice.

Last edited by In The Ten Ring; 09-23-2017 at 05:04 AM.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:21 PM   #6
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

Was this truck in the terrible fire? That may have some bearing on the situation
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:49 PM   #7
jmcleek

seat belt bolts are grade 8 and don't drill well plus they used red lock tite. If you can get to the other end of the bolt weld a nut to it and thread it out. when still hot spray pin oil on it.
jmcleek is offline   Reply With Quote