The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-14-2016, 11:24 PM   #1
58GMCSB

Stock restore or custom?

Just looking for opinions here. Im trying to decide on which way to go with my little project. My ultimate goal is to sell it because i would like to pick up a 57 chevy truck for project. My question is would it be better for resale just cleaning it up and selling it as it is, which is pretty much bone stock, or rodding it out?

Right now its stock to the core. 6 cyl, hydramatic, straight axle, drum brakes all around. I was thinking cleaning up the frame, freshening everything up, MAYBE updating brakes to disc, maybe get it in black primer then see what she'll bring on the market
58GMCSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 01:23 AM   #2
chopit

Re: Stock restore or custom?

If you are just wanting to flip it, I wouldn't put a lot of money in it.

Get the tag-title situation straightened out first. Bill of sale/sketchy title only vehicles are at the bottom of the money.

And if you start "rodding it out" be prepared to spend some time and bucks. Even then be prepared to not make profit depending on your budget, skillsets to do it yourself and not pay others and determination to finish it. (Sounds like you really want something else and that can kill motivation for a long project).

Unfinished projects are also at the bottom of the money.

Spending more on it does not guarantee making more on it.

The real key is did you buy it cheap enough to spend a couple dollars on it and still make a profit at what the market will bear. Old vehicles can be an expensive endeavor.

I just flipped 2 AD trucks to end up with the one I wanted damn near free. (which by the way is an unfinished project that the previous owner spent big bucks on and even before the 2 flips to cover cost I got at a steal and he willingly took a big hit to get it gone.)

Kept it simple...Bought them right, did as little as possible to get them profitable, priced them to sell quick and moved on. Will probably flip one more for the funds to finish the one I kept...if I find the right deal.

If you are buying to resell you make your money when you buy...not when you sell, if you get my meaning. Same holds true for flipping anything including houses...done a few of those in my time also.

Honestly tho, after all that being said, only you can know your best move depending what you paid for it, what you want to put in it, how much you think it will sell for in your market and how much you are willing to discount from full market to move it quick.

Just a humble opinion from someone that is much more skilled at flipping than at fixing (altho I manage at that too lol).

Last edited by chopit; 01-15-2016 at 01:37 AM.
chopit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 02:04 AM   #3
chopit

Might want to post a picture of truck for anyone passing through that didn't see your other thread or know what you have ...
chopit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 10:05 AM   #4
Speedbumpauto

Sell or trade what you have for what you want. A small amount of "shoe shine" might help the price a bit but the standard motto in our group is, "it takes sixty thousand dollars to build a thirty thousand dollar truck." I have one of those thirty thousand dollar trucks. If it's not fun, don't do it.
Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 10:40 AM   #5
58GMCSB

Yeah i suppose a pic would be good.

This is the truck. I picked it up in a trade for a motorcycle i had that was worth about $2k. I'd say about 90% of the original parts are there, but the bed will need to be pretty much rebuilt. Frame is solid, motor hasn't run for me, but I'm fairly sure it won't take much (as long as there isn't some catastrophic issue like a rod knocking or something).

I think it will be a fun project and it's not that I don't like the truck, i think it will probably look fairly nifty when i get done. I'd just like to have a 57 and i've been looking around and there seems to be a few floating around my area for about 4k that are in similar or better shape. My guess is that this thing minus a paintjob is probably going to cost a few grand to get road worthy and worth selling
Attached Images

58GMCSB is offline   Reply With Quote