The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-10-2017, 04:05 PM   #1
64jmb

1966 C10 Factory in dash AC question

Had a question:

I have a 1966 C10 Custom Cab with Factory in-dash air. I have redone everything in the truck including modernizing all the electronics and new wiring harness for the whole truck but not the AC set up yet. I do not want to use the old AC components and was thinking of using the Vintage Air set up with the original knobs and sliders and vents in the dash now. I spoke to them and they told me you can only use the sliders on the left or the 3 Fact AC knobs on the right.... but I can use the factory original vents by re-routing the vent hoses to the main center vents.... I am trying to figure out what the best thing is to do.... thoughts.... suggestions.... this truck very rare and and is a keeper... so I want to do it right and I have hear great things about the vintage air conversion.... let me know guys what you think.... what you all did .... they told me at vintage air the factory air trucks are so rare that they did not even make a kit conversion for that because most of the trucks did not have air in them...so they designed it for non air trucks...thoughts?? Especially, they guys that had factory AC what you did to convert yours over...Here is a pictures of my dash. You can see the vents and the sliders for the heat and defroster. The 3 pull knobs for the AC are to the right side of my factory vents not pictured.
Attached Images

Last edited by 64jmb; 01-10-2017 at 04:31 PM.
64jmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:37 PM   #2
LT1 Burb

Re: 1966 C10 Factory in dash AC question

I don't understand why you want to change it over, just rebuild it and convert it to 134A,that is what I did with mine.
Attached Images

LT1 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:21 PM   #3
64jmb

Hello I have spoke to several people about rebuilding it, not one seems to want to try. Who in AZ do u know could rebuild it correctly and change it over to 134A? I thought it would be easier to change it to vintage air system.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:45 PM   #4
LT1 Burb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64jmb View Post
Hello I have spoke to several people about rebuilding it, not one seems to want to try. Who in AZ do u know could rebuild it correctly and change it over to 134A? I thought it would be easier to change it to vintage air system.
No offence but the sure fit vintage air system sucks, I guess it depends on what you want to do, do you want your truck to look stock or be stock.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:52 AM   #5
corvettejim1968

Vintage Air 4 Sure Fit is the best set up from what ive been told. only 9% of these trucks had factory air. i make after market "factory looking" a/c vents and nsb29 makes the ductwork so they will work with the Vintage Air. im also in Phoenix if you want to stop by and see it in person.

https://coolc10.com/
corvettejim1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:00 PM   #6
64jmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvettejim1968 View Post
Vintage Air 4 Sure Fit is the best set up from what ive been told. only 9% of these trucks had factory air. i make after market "factory looking" a/c vents and nsb29 makes the ductwork so they will work with the Vintage Air. im also in Phoenix if you want to stop by and see it in person.

Thanks for the information I may do that and stop by sometime and chat about .... just really want to start looking at this now so by then I know what I am doing for sure! BTW those extra vents look fantastic and look factory for sure!
Old 01-10-2017, 07:24 PM   #7
The Rocknrod

You might call Old Air or Vintage Air and see if they will rebuild yours or sell you parts to do it:
http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalo...1030&Year=1966
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:42 PM   #8
LT1 Burb

I rebuilt my own, there isn't much to them. All the parts are available and you get your factory setup. I bought a condenser, new lines, TXV and flushed the evap, good to go.
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2017, 10:42 AM   #9
60-66

Hotfun on here rebuilt his AC unit with new parts , I think its all upgraded for the new Freon. I like Lt1burbs idea best if your trying to preserve the value of your truck. Keep it looking stock with new modern internals , best of both worlds. Condensers evaporators etc are all available on ebay or other sources.
WANTED :1964-1966 PANEL TRUCK
60-66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:58 AM   #10
64jmb

Smile Re: 1966 C10 Factory in dash AC question

Thanks guys! Allot of great information. I am going to without no doubt keep it looking stock as you can see in the picture but modernize it. I have already put a brand new crate 350, and it has a all newly rebuilt turbo 350 trans motor mounts trans mounts all rebuilt power steering and gear box... all new HCI electronic ignition electric fans with relay with the large aluminum radiator 90 volt alternator and a completely new wiring harness and fuse box and list goes on and on and on .... she is a VERY rare truck for sure... she is a real custom cab short wide bed auto factory air V8 with all the goodies so I am keeping this truck and stock looking for the most part for sure! I drive it to quite a bit...and it is 115+ degrees here too to boot. So I could not ready drive it totally stock and not have some issues I guess with all the old stuff that was in there... I have been driving classic cars for 30 years.... I am the one who actually drives them and love every bit of the experience for sure! This is all great information.... I have kicked around rebuilding the system but when the wiring harness was in REAL bad shape before I did not do it... now that all that is all been replaced... That may be a option... Like LT1 I would want it taken out and COMPLETELY and clean and sanitize and rebuild everything... nothing spared on it for sure... 2 of the 3 knobs still pull out as well on the dash, they look really cool like the Impala knobs.... is there much wiring to the old systems? The harness like I mentioned is totally replaced... even pulled the dash cluster and went through that.... but I left the LOVLEY patina on the outside of the truck,... she took 50 years to get to look like this... So that is not changing...well please keep letting me know what you think I am planning on doing this before the nice toasty 115 degree weather coming this summer...
Old 01-12-2017, 06:20 AM   #11
AUS64c10

I have a 64 C10 with the factory AC system. The original compressor is long gone. The system is charged with R134a gas and it works fine for what is it is.

It's never going to be as efficient as a modern set up but it's enough to be comfortable driving the truck on a hot day. I purchased my truck from Mesa AZ and now have it here in Melbourne Australia.

If my truck never had AC fitted then I wouldn't hesitate to throw in a Vintage air system. But if you have all the factory stuff sitting there it seems a real shame not to try and get it in and running with the original gear. It surely must add more value to the truck having the original AC fitted.
AUS64c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:26 PM   #12
64jmb

Thanks for the info! So you put in a Sandin compressor to replace the GM compressor and you changed I am assuming the condenser and new lines and rebuilt all the rest inside the truck? Does it blow pretty cold? Did you replace the blower motor? And you are using all the original factory controls too then?
Old 01-12-2017, 04:47 PM   #13
AUS64c10

It was all in and running when i brought the truck. My compressor is a Sanden 508 with a 5 1/4" clutch. New lines, condensor and txv were all fitted at the same time as far as i know. In the cab I am still using the original controls and blower unit. Not sure how cold it runs but i can test in the weekend with a thermocouple and let you know.
AUS64c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:27 PM   #14
64jmb

That would be great. I am have having trouble finding anyone that wants to work the old system at all. My mechanic does not want to touch it and to take the liability of it. I have one mech. that has worked on this since I had started the restoration on all the mechanical stuff. I really do not want to have multiple people working on it and messing stuff up. I just may have to convert it to a vintage air system from my mechanic to the current factory air stuff and I am not even sure it will work with it. I am thinking it will, but not 100% sure. But I am really leaning that way for all the new stuff.
Old 10-22-2021, 10:51 PM   #15
aboylejr

Hello,
I was reading old messages and came across yours. You mentioned how rare your truck is, and I have one that is very similar. 66 C10, 327, powerglide trans, big rear window, factory air. Just how rare is the truck? Please email me. Aboylejr@gmail.com
aboylejr is offline   Reply With Quote