The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-26-2017, 03:15 AM   #1
MASTERBrian

Rear diff swap for 60

I want to start looking, but curious what to keep eyes out for.

1960 suburban, so I have the trailing arm and coil I'll have to add mounts for. The other thing I'm guessing matter is I'm wanting to stay 6 lug and I have 15" rims.

What I've determined is chevy 12 bolt or Ford 9" is preferable. Regarding the chevy 12 bolt, the 4x4's are the way to go for 6 lug, but I believe the internals are different than the cars....does that matter for rebuilding, etc? What about width, does that change from truck to car? I've read in the 80's I think some trucks had rear disc, I'm guessing that can be issue for my 15's...I did cpp front discs and I have paper thin clearance between wheel and caliper/spindle.

I have a sbc350 putting out about 330hp coupled to a t350 trans. I'm not racing, just cruising around town. I currently have an original 3.90 posi and it's fun, thinking maybe a 3.73 posi is what I'd like to end up with. What I've seen is the 12 bolt rear diffs are about $300-1000+. Seems the 10 bolt are less than $100. Ford 9" seems to be about $200. It seems the trick axles are all really low gear and the cars high gear.

What's everyone using and any pointers for my goal? I kind of figured if I could pick one up cheap enough I'd just build it the way I want, but that gets pricy a well. I'm not in huge hurry as I have a spare 62 diff, but told the seals leak and it's not the posi, which is ok I guess. My 60 diff is obviously near impossible to rebuild if it goes south and it's missing several guides for the clutches and it had trama at some point as there is a long, non-factory, weld along the axle tube and I think there's a small leak from it. I'll likely try to patch that with some fuel tank epoxy and maybe if I make no progress and it survives the summer, swap the innards into the spare housing and try to replicate the clutch guides.
MASTERBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:22 AM   #2
andrewmp6

Re: Rear diff swap for 60

First gm truck with factory rear disc was about 2000 if i remember right.On axle widths the trucks are wider then most cars and a full size van is wider then a trucks.If it was me id measure my rear end for the width,Most go axle flange to axle flange.After that id look up axle widths or hit up junkyards tell i find one my width and the lug pattern you like.Then weld on the mounting tabs and stuff and use it.But if your gonna re build it and know how to set one up you could add any diff you want and gear ratio.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote