The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-26-2017, 12:11 AM   #1
drew8mc

Strange Clicking Sound Under Load

I was on a longer trip with my truck for the first time. I was doing some highway driving. I was going through one of the only sections with a hill and started to give it more throttle to not lose speed. All of a sudden I heard a strange click sound. Then it happened a couple more times. It sounded like it was coming from the bottom side of the engine, right near my feet. It did not sound like pinging or detonation or rod knock or valve train noises. Is this a transmission issue? Each time it happened the RPM's would drop with a loss of power. After limping it up the hill it didn't happen again.

I'm running a tired 327 with a 200 4R transmission. It was only turning 2.5k tops at highway speed.

Any insights from the more experienced folks would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Drew
drew8mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:33 AM   #2
Ironangel

Re: Strange Clicking Sound Under Load

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew8mc View Post
I was on a longer trip with my truck for the first time. I was doing some highway driving. I was going through one of the only sections with a hill and started to give it more throttle to not lose speed. All of a sudden I heard a strange click sound. Then it happened a couple more times. It sounded like it was coming from the bottom side of the engine, right near my feet. It did not sound like pinging or detonation or rod knock or valve train noises. Is this a transmission issue? Each time it happened the RPM's would drop with a loss of power. After limping it up the hill it didn't happen again.

I'm running a tired 327 with a 200 4R transmission. It was only turning 2.5k tops at highway speed.

Any insights from the more experienced folks would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Drew
Check the flexplate for cracks and loose bolts where it attaches to the crank and the converter bolts as well. Might want to make sure the motor mounts and transmission mount are intact and tight.
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote