The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-25-2017, 03:36 AM   #1
reaperz1

need advice on buying suspension components

I have a 72 c10 I am restoring and I don't want to lower it just stock height but would like to improve the suspension performance and traction. so does any one know where I can get kits for the front a rear suspension, either to rebuild it or to replace components or a combination of the two, just want to make sure the suspension will compliment each other instead of mix and match. another note I do still have leaf springs and will need them for towing. I am up for any recommendations, I am just really dated on parts any more especially if it is not a motorcycle lmao.

thank you again
reaperz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:13 AM   #2
JohnJ@RideTech

Re: need advice on buying suspension components

A good set of shocks would work wonders with new leaf spring bushings.
Were there any other upgrades you were thinking about doing while you were under there?
Office: 812-482-2932
JJohnson@ridetech.com
Instagram: @ridetech_john
JohnJ@RideTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 04:54 PM   #3
69gmcc10

Re: need advice on buying suspension components

Options for "handling Kits" and stock ride height don't really exist because the easiest way to improve handling is to lower the center of gravity, especially on trucks, so your kind of starting at a disadvantage. That is not to say that that better handling cant be had, you just need to be realistic with your goals and the parameters you have placed on yourself. Also, your question is a little vague because we do not know the current condition of your trucks suspension or any mods you have already done, but we area real good at spending other peoples money so here are some generic things to start thinking about that should be checked off anybody's list to improve there ride and a few ideas to get a little more.

If you want to keep the stock height replacing worn out suspension components (inner and outer tie rods, ball joints, pitman, idler arm, leaf bushings) with some new quality parts will make more difference than you could ever imagine. I always go moog.

Shocks, Buy good shocks, Monroe OESpectrum are a good start, you can go Billsine, or even crazier if you like.

Get a 1 ton sway bar for the front of your truck with some polly bushings. You can buy new factory style units from Early Classic, source the bar from a junk yard and just buy the bushings, or buy an after market bar with more modern technology from the likes of Helwigh or No Limit.

With leafs the best option you have to hook up the rear suspension is a set of caltracs, if you are unfamiliar look them up. but you could also get a torque bar or something of the sorts.

Other things you can do to make a difference and also improve handling are ditch the worn out steering box and get a faster ratio from a later model or the after market, new body mounts to stiffen up the chassis, and a good wheel and tier combination for your driving needs/wants.

03 Silverado build thread-http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=591582
69gmcc10 is offline   Reply With Quote