The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-18-2018, 10:13 PM   #1
jazzbum

66 c20 disc swap questions

I've searched all over and have come up goose egg on a couple on fine points of swapping 8 lug drums for 73-87 style discs. Any light you could shed would be much appreciated.

I have a 66 c20 with drums front and rear. I want to swap to discs in front and retain the 8 lug pattern so I can use my existing wheels. I'm looking for the most straightforward way to do it. I do not have the facilities to do a full crossmember swap so I am limited to what I can do at wheel and under the hood.

I am under the impression that all that needs done to physically bolt in the 73-87 disc spindles is to put 73-87 balljoints into the 66 a arms. Is this correct?

Or would it be more straightforward to get everything from the frame out--upper and lower a arms, spindle, brakes--and bolt it into the 66? This assumes that the upper and lower arms from the later truck will physically bolt to the 66. Will they?

As for the tie rod issue that this creates, I guess I will probably use the adapter sleeves that are sold by POL and CPP and others and retain my 66 steering links and ends. The question I have here is, will the c10 adapter that these companies sell also work for my c20 steering with an 8 lug disc spindle, or are the c10 parts smaller/different? Otherwise I suppose I could swap the steering from the donor truck, assuming the widths match. Any advice here?

Also, is there a difference between the spindles found in dually trucks and those found in SRWs? I know the rotors are different, but is the spindle itself different? I seem to see a lot more dually trucks than anything else in the wrecking yards around here, so this would be good to know.

Thanks very much in advance for helping out a newb. Sorry about the novel-length post.
jazzbum is offline   Reply With Quote