The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-20-2015, 03:20 PM   #26
pound41

Re: 72 Blazer--rear hatch latch dimensions

I have never had to look for a replacement for mine but several summers of my youth spent working for a garage door company. That is what most of those components are springs that kick back or return.and the brackets. Garage door handle works as a hatch handle etc. Good luck
pound41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 02:41 PM   #27
1rippen6

Just wondering if you ever finished this project?
1rippen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 01:44 AM   #28
HuntUSMC

I hope to make a lot of progress this winter. My project has been at a stand still as the metal fabricator had a mild stroke this summer.

(He's giving me a good deal on the work, I'm not in a hurry, and he could probably use the money for medical expenses.)

I'll definitely post some updates as soon as I can get started. Thanks!
HuntUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:00 PM   #29
1rippen6

I got this in the other day would you be interested in it or would you be interested in selling me a couple springs.
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2016, 02:12 AM   #30
HuntUSMC

I appreciate the offer but I think I'll try my hand at the fabrication. Send me your mailing address and I'll just send you a couple...appreciate all of the measurements you posted.
HuntUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:37 AM   #31
1rippen6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntUSMC View Post
I appreciate the offer but I think I'll try my hand at the fabrication. Send me your mailing address and I'll just send you a couple...appreciate all of the measurements you posted.
PM'd my address Thanks Dwayne
Old 07-13-2016, 04:22 AM   #32
robs71k5
K5drive

Huntusmc looks like your on the right track but you will find out quickly that you need to find a piece of heavier wall pipe with .5 inch inside for you sleeve to fit into and machine the pipe diameter and a little "c" clip slot for the the retainer to hold the assembly onto the bracket . Then once I had the pipe turned down I planned to insert the square key stock inside the pipe with an egg shaped piece for the latch rod holes located and weld the three pieces together . I have completed mine with exception of welding it but haven't taken any pictures of it . I guess I should get some pictures online so people can get the gist of a simple fix . I think I might even be able to do it on a drill press if it came down to it .
robs71k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:32 PM   #33
robs71k5
K5drive

HuntUSMC you might have some trouble if you simply put the lock ring into that square shaft stock . It's not big enough to fit into the other nos parts it mates up to . I turned down a heavy wall pipe to look like photo and the 1/2 inch square shaft stock you found fits into it perfectly. If you cut the square stock you will have enough to make two assembly"s and you only have to weld the ends . That way it looks like blazer hardware, talks like Blazer hardware and makes Blazer owners happy like Blazer hardware stuff does . I have a couple extra already turned down I could part with for my time and could make them available to others as well and hr labour plus shipping

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  56.7 KB
Old 07-15-2016, 10:18 PM   #34
robs71k5
K5drive

Sorry HuntUSMC I didn't notice your photos of the end product . Looks good and just ignore my comments. You and I had achieved same destination from two different directions . Well done !
Old 03-21-2017, 07:43 AM   #35
1rippen6

Just wondering if you ever finished the mechanism. I finally tried to use the spring to fix the one I have and its wrapped in the wrong direction. I am going to look and see if they have them in the opposite direction if they do it should be mint.