The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-10-2017, 09:23 PM   #1
Maximus

Help ID Aftermarket Gas Tank, Square Bottom, Side mounted, Photo Included

Anyone know who or where this gas tank may have come from? This blazer sat untouched for the better part of 10+ years by a Previous Owner, so its not a "new" tank by any stretch of the imagination...

Tank has a flat bottom, a drain plug on the REAR passenger side of the tank (not bottom) and is mounted with side brackets.

they seem to have jacked up the venting system (if tanks full on a hot day it will overflow fuel from filler neck) and the sending unit doesn't work. debating trying to fix problems with this oversized tank or just go another route.
Biggest annoyance is getting the sending unit in the Blazer working, and to be fair I have not crawled under far enough to hit the back of the sending unit with an Ohm meter... but if it has failed it would be nice to know what I have so I can try and find a replacement...

Also side question, if this tank doesn't have a vent should I consider a vented gas cap? I didnt see a vent on the sending unit, maybe theres one by the filler? But i know its not vented now as it overflowed in heat...

You guys seem to know a TON about these trucks, so here's todays challenge lol...

Bottom view:

Filler neck from left side of frame:

Abandoned vent lines? shot looking up towards filler neck on quarter panel:

Front side of tank looking at sending unit configuration and location:

So.... ANY ideas?
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:46 PM   #2
lks dcvn

Re: Help ID Aftermarket Gas Tank, Square Bottom, Side mounted, Photo Included

No idea what the tank was from originally. Looks home made from the pix, but I'm not there to truly check it out. If it were me - I'd find a stock blazer tank (or Boyd Welding tank) and swap it out with a new sending unit and be done with it.
lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 02:07 PM   #3
cleszkie

I thought at first it might be an old Northwest Metal Products (NMP) 38 gallon tank. But it is definitely not. I have never seen a sending unit mounted to the side of a tank, and seems like a really bad idea, as the seal would eventually leak with gas sitting behind it. You definitely need to run some kind of vent.

Last edited by cleszkie; 04-11-2017 at 02:16 PM.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:43 AM   #4
Maximus

sounds like when I start to drive this beast a little more I just need to invest in a new factory replacement tank. I hate how they don't make a tank with the proper blazer filler neck but I will deal with that when I get there.

As for the sending unit, its not uncommon at all for sending units to be on the front side of a tank, my '65 mustang's tank top is actually the trunk floor, so the sending unit had to be on a side to be outside of the car....
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote