The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-25-2024, 08:10 AM   #1
alderan33

rear main bearing seal fused in place

I have the engine out of my 72 C10. It's a 350. I am freshening it up with a timing chain and oil pump, seals, freeze plugs, etc.. I am trying to change the rear main bearing seal. I removed the cap and after several minutes of gentle prying was able to remove upper piece. It was REALLY on there. The lower piece, however, seems to be securely fused in place. I have tapped it carefully but it will not move. I don't want to further degrade its structural integrity by bludgeoning it. I believe this is the original motor so it has been in place since the factory. Am I going to have to remove the crank to replace the lower part of the seal? I don't have the money for another motor or even a longblock. Any ideas would be most appreciated.
alderan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 10:01 AM   #2
chevmn

Re: rear main bearing seal fused in place

Quote:
Originally Posted by alderan33 View Post
I have the engine out of my 72 C10. It's a 350. I am freshening it up with a timing chain and oil pump, seals, freeze plugs, etc.. I am trying to change the rear main bearing seal. I removed the cap and after several minutes of gentle prying was able to remove upper piece. It was REALLY on there. The lower piece, however, seems to be securely fused in place. I have tapped it carefully but it will not move. I don't want to further degrade its structural integrity by bludgeoning it. I believe this is the original motor so it has been in place since the factory. Am I going to have to remove the crank to replace the lower part of the seal? I don't have the money for another motor or even a longblock. Any ideas would be most appreciated.
When you refer to the "lower piece" are you referring to the half that is on the rear main cap, or the piece on the block side? Might have a look at the thread I posted yesterday, as I was having same issue on the half that is between block and crank.
chevmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 10:50 AM   #3
Accelo

Sometimes we have to go backwards to move forward. I had to deal with one that was glued in one time. I couldn't think of a reason for that but evidently the builder thought it was a good idea. I would loosen the main caps and see if I could get it out that way. With the crank loose you have less chance of damaging it. Once you get a portion loose you may be able to pull it loose from the groove. Shoving it around requires it all to move at one time. Sounds unlikely given the description you have given of the seal in the cap.
Best of luck
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 12:58 PM   #4
HO455
Post Whore

If it is the main cap try heating the cap then putting ice on the bearing half. Soft heat like toaster oven or propane torch, no oxy/acc torches. Too easy to overheat that way. Don't heat the cap more than 200 to 250 degrees.

If it is in the block set the block under a 500 watt quartz light or two, or put it in direct sunlight, (If you're lucky enough ) to warm the block then try putting some dry ice on the bearing half to get it to contract and break the bond holding it.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 07:54 AM   #5
alderan33

Thanks guys. I will try your suggestions this weekend.
alderan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 12:32 PM   #6
70STOVEBOLT

See this thread for additional info:

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851576

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks

Coming soon: EFI

2015 Silverado 1500 LS 4.3/6L80/3.23
70STOVEBOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 12:52 PM   #7
chevmn

After getting mine all out, I think fabricating a tool out of a softer metal might help, and someone mentioned using a nylon drift as well. We ended up using a piece of square keystock being careful to not damage the seal surface on the crank. A piece of square brass might be ideal, but not sure where one might find such. I recently found a swap meet vendor who had some pieces of brass, but nothing I had would fit the bill on this.
Old 04-02-2024, 05:00 PM   #8
HO455
Post Whore

I'd order it from McMaster Carr.

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/br...s-square-stock

I apologize for my earlier post I thought you bearings were stuck in place. I'm glad you got the seal removed.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 08:42 PM   #9
chevmn

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
I'd order it from McMaster Carr.

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/br...s-square-stock

I apologize for my earlier post I thought you bearings were stuck in place. I'm glad you got the seal removed.
There were two of us having similar or maybe the same issue. I finally solved my issue, not sure on this OP and if he was able to resolve. Always good to post result and what ultimately resolved, or any new ideas.