The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2012, 01:50 AM   #51
robnolimit

Re: 55-59 CPU Rear axle Flip Kit

part # RA-200, No Limit rear axle mount flip kit. Fits 3" dia. axle to stock type 2" wide leaf springs. Includes axle pads, U-bolts, U-bolt plates with lower shock mounts, and U-bolt hardware. List $129
2011 Truckin' Throwdown Champion
GoodGuys 2010 National Champion

Proud to put our products up against all others!
robnolimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:58 AM   #52
mr48chev

I still want to know where he buys 3/8 grade 8 nut and bolt pairs for .10 a pair.

Nice little Tech article Michael, I hope it helps some of the Task Force guys.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:07 PM   #53
_Ogre

Re: Where can I buy the kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Task Force View Post
Does anyone know where I can find/buy the spring perch kit shown in the picture? I would like to use a similiar kit because of the shock mounting arrangement (stock). Price & Place?
i bought my spring pad mounts from a local trailer supply house, also bought the bottom 4 hole plate there. maybe $25 total at the trail supply house.
i bought the u-bolts from a suspension shop, $6 each times 4. $66 total for my flip kit.

i reused the shock mounts with monroe-matic 33086 shocks
the sway bar was on the 86 trans am rearend when i bought it, pep boys swaybar links $15. home made upper bracket.

the picture you posted has no c-notch, unless you flip the mount as suggested you will always sit on the bump stops.
i boxed my frame front to rear, home made c-notch kit from 4'' schedule 40 pipe (pm me if you need some)
also relocated the bump stops to the side of the frame. new bump stops $10 from pep boys.

i pulled my springs apart, blasted them, removed the bottom overload springs and painted with por15.
new center bolts $4 and poly spring liner $45 from brothers (half roll left over if you want to buy it)
new rear shackles from brothers $38 and new spring pins up front.

bump stops and upper sway bar link bracket

stock shock mount and partial view of the square spring plate

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:34 PM   #54
NW Task Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnolimit View Post
part # RA-200, No Limit rear axle mount flip kit. Fits 3" dia. axle to stock type 2" wide leaf springs. Includes axle pads, U-bolts, U-bolt plates with lower shock mounts, and U-bolt hardware. List $129
Sweet! Thanks! I just placed my order........
Old 11-04-2012, 09:57 PM   #55
NW Task Force

Arrow *update*

I almost finished my rear axle flip conversion this weekend. I cut off the rivets holding the rear leaf spring perches and flipped them over per the instructions posted at the begining of this thread. I slid the new trans am rear axle under the bed and bolted on the wheels. At this point I am just waiting for my axle perch kit from NO LIMIT. I guess this item is on back order. Should be here soon. Can't wait to finish this part of the project.
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2012, 10:11 PM   #56
JumboAMONGus

oh yes take pics m, im still gonna do this , soon , wanna see how it sits , cause ill only be running front mono springs
JumboAMONGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:26 PM   #57
NW Task Force

No axle perches yet from NO LIMIT. Can't wait to get this rear axle bolted up and truck down on rubber.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:24 AM   #58
NW Task Force

Unhappy Bummed out........what went wrong?

Today I recieved my axle flip kit from NO LIMIT. I spent the evening getting everything all mounted up and to my surprise the truck is not sitting right! Once the kit was installed I lowered down the truck so that it is sitting on my garage casters.......way too low!!!! The bump stops are like 1/8" from the axle tube. What gives? The fuel tank and other items are not even installed yet. This is not the same results as the truck featured at the begining of this thread. I was expecting plenty of room between the axle tube and bump stop as seen in the photographs. I followed the whole writeup carefully and just cannot believe how it "dumped" the rear to the ground. The only thing I can come up with is that my original leaf springs are severly worn out causing the truck to sag big time. I need to get to the bottom of this and find whats causing this........ Looking for some advice from anyone who has gone down this road. Hopefully Youngsta and the guys from NO LIMIT will chime in.
Attached Images

Old 11-15-2012, 01:54 AM   #59
JumboAMONGus

wow i was waiting for you to show pics that is low looks like your fender is on top the axle , . how it sit level with the front end ? does the front end sit up higher , ? or level
Old 11-15-2012, 01:57 AM   #60
NW Task Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboAMONGus View Post
wow i was waiting for you to show pics that is low looks like your fender is on top the axle , . how it sit level with the front end ? does the front end sit up higher , ? or level
Uh no! The frontend is sitting way up high like a "gasser". Given I don't have my transmission or engine installed yet, its still way too low in the rear. My gas tank and bed still isn't even installed.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:17 AM   #61
JumboAMONGus

only thing i can say is add some really long shackles to raise it up or some add leafs .
Old 11-15-2012, 08:51 AM   #62
vwjohnny

Will longer shackles work? Longer shackles will lower the truck on a stock setup. Since the shackle assembly have been flipped I am not sure which direction this will take you. Would be nice if they gained you 2 inches of "lift". I'm anxious to see the outcome. Here's a link. Hope it helps. http://www.performanceonline.com/195...d-Shackle-Kit/

Another idea might be to install a set of air shocks to help out your tired springs. Just a thought.
J
vwjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:27 PM   #63
JumboAMONGus

he flipped the rear spring perch so the longer shackles will raise it , but to raise 2 inch that be 4 inch over stock length shackles, those be some long shackles ..
Old 11-15-2012, 06:02 PM   #64
NEWFISHER

Notch the rear and toss a dropped front axle in it...looks great!
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:44 PM   #65
NW Task Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWFISHER View Post
Notch the rear and toss a dropped front axle in it...looks great!
I was intending to keep the frame intact in the back with no "C" notching. The front end is not stock (Camaro IFS).
Old 11-15-2012, 08:53 PM   #66
NW Task Force

So here is the pic of what the "finished" product is supposed to look like (according to the original thread post)................

Can sagging worn-out springs really cause my truck to drop down that bad?
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2012, 12:58 AM   #67
NW Task Force

Exclamation Still looking for some help.............

Ok folks, here are some more pics of what I am dealing with after the flip kit installation. I really would like to know what dimension people have between the frame and the top of the axle tube (For those running the axle on top of the leaf springs) with the truck sitting down on rubber. I really am dreading on having to buy a new set of leaf springs. Is it possible to correct ride height with a good set of air shocks? I lifted the rear bumper with my floor jack a few inches, that made a huge difference. If only I could keep the back end up at that height.
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2012, 12:08 AM   #68
youngsta

Re: Still looking for some help.............

Quote:
Ok folks, here are some more pics of what I am dealing with after the flip kit installation. I really would like to know what dimension people have between the frame and the top of the axle tube (For those running the axle on top of the leaf springs) with the truck sitting down on rubber. I really am dreading on having to buy a new set of leaf springs. Is it possible to correct ride height with a good set of air shocks? I lifted the rear bumper with my floor jack a few inches, that made a huge difference. If only I could keep the back end up at that height.
Hey NW, I have been working a lot of overtime and have not been on since your install. Looking at the pictures it does appear to be really close between bumpstop and axle tube. I will take a measurement of mine when I get home tomorrow afternoon. 1st I noticed that some of our trucks have bumpstop bolted directly in arch (yours) and some are bolted to outboard bracket (mine). Probably two different assembly plants. 2nd maybe you bolted the perch 5/8 back and maybe it should be in (verify with the pro's)? 3rd what size are the rear tires? They don't look that tall mine are 29 1/2 in diameter. 4th remember I have one coil removed from my front springs and 2 drop spindles and short front tires. Your results maybe a combination of several of these factors. Don't get discouraged it takes a little trial and error to get stance on these trucks right. Especially when your doing for the first time. Post a photo from the side of truck with all four tires on the ground so we can see the stance. Lastly it very well could be the springs are clapped out, but probably not.
youngsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:01 PM   #69
youngsta

NW, I have taken some measurements and pics as promised. It would appear you did everything correctly. I have one whopping inch between the snubber and axle tube. I drive my truck at least once a week if not more to work 50 miles round trip. I don't have any problems with bottoming out. I do have new bumpstops so the rubber is not hard or dried out. No deformations or dents in axle tubes or bent frame issues whatsoever. Some measurements I have taken to help you. My rear tire height is in fact 28 inches. Bottom of rear bumper is 12 inches from ground and that is with my 21 gallon fuel tank 95% full. Also I have my new 4l60e tranny and convertor sitting in the bed right now. The bed step in front of rear wheel is roughly 8 1/2 inches from the ground. The truck rides no rougher than my best friends 2002 corvette. However being that the truck is lowered I do slow down for dips, bumps, and whatever road irregularities I come across. I will post some reference pics for you.
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2012, 10:05 PM   #70
youngsta

Rear bumper height.
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2012, 10:08 PM   #71
youngsta

Bed step height.
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2012, 10:14 PM   #72
youngsta

Axle to snubber distance different angle.
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2012, 10:34 PM   #73
youngsta

Quote:
Uh no! The frontend is sitting way up high like a "gasser". Given I don't have my transmission or engine installed yet, its still way too low in the rear. My gas tank and bed still isn't even installed.
I'm thinking that you should leave it how it is now and finish motor and trans install and get your front end ride height dialed in first. Then address the rear again if you feel that the truck doesn't balance out visually. Those leaf springs should hold your bed wood and gas tank plenty without going lower. Just curious what size are the rear tires on there now? Are they the same on all four corners?
Old 11-19-2012, 11:54 PM   #74
NW Task Force

Youngsta,

I was really glad to see you on here. I apologize if I seem a little frantic about the results. I have a few things going against me on the suspension/ride height. Right now the rear axle tube to the bottom of the frame is approx 2.5". The rear wheels are 15" 225/70/15 tires. The front wheels are 14x7 rims. The sizes are all off because they have just "garage roller" to get my truck around the shop/driveway. The final setup will be 15" wheels wrapped in tall/skinny bias ply white walls. The front camaro IFS is all stock. I have not installed rear shocks yet too. To make it all look correct I will most likely need the drop spindles and springs up front to compliment the rear. Like you said...........I can always adjust ride later.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:27 PM   #75
_Ogre

i'm not sure what you were expecting but lowering your truck usually lowers the truck
take a sawzall to the bumpers and whack half the rubber off the bump stop or weld up something similar to mine
mine hang about an inch below my frame, i have about an inch of travel
i also added air shocks to stiffen the ride, since the air shocks i rarely hit the stops

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote