The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-09-2017, 09:44 PM   #1
Texas66

Help With Upper Control Arm and Spindle Rubbing

Just bought my '66 SWB FS and getting started on the rebuild. The front suspension had a set of Belltech 2.5" drop spindles and springs. I decided to remove those and go back with stock height spindles and a heavier load spring for the 454 under the hood. I installed new upper and lower ball joints and when I put it all together the "tip" of the upper control arm is rubbing the top of the spindle. Hopefully my pic will post and where the two spots are rubbing can be seen.
So I'm wondering if they sent me the wrong spindles? The McGaughy's p/n ordered is not what's stamped on the spindle. Also the hole for the outer tie rod is too small for the tie rod that's on the truck. Ordered a new one tie rod and it's the same problem.
I also wonder if they send me the wrong upper ball joints?
Are the upper and lower control arms not stock?

On the "Suspension" thread I was told I need to put it all together and once on the ground the weight would take care of these rubbing. Before I did all that I jacked up the lower control arm but never got a good gap (still rubs).

Your help and ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

Texas66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:15 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Help With Upper Control Arm and Spindle Rubbing

I would email or call McGaughy's and see what they have to say. Those control arms are original and the spindle is for a '60-'70 truck. Your steering linkage appears to not be the original '65 steering linkage. That would be why the tierod is too big for the taper in the spindle. When I have upgraded to disc brakes, I always upgraded to the later model steering linkage from the donor truck.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:57 AM   #3
Texas66

Captainfab
Thanks for your input!

Finally got time to work on this again. I called McGaughy's to make sure I was shipped the right spindle and see what they thought.
The customer service there was really great.
After taking a few measurements and sending them a few pictures it was determined the spindle is right for my '66 and Brandt gave me the outer tie rod p/n I need for this spindle.

I ordered the tie rods and they came in yesterday. The bolt and taper is a match for the spindle but,,,,, the threaded end of the new tie rod is a smaller diameter than the previous one, and smaller than the currently installed inner tie rod and adjusting sleeve.
I'm not aware of an adjusting sleeve or an adapter to tie different size tie rods together like I have. Please let me know if there is.

Since I'm new to learning steering linkage I'm thinking that if I order the inner tie rod to match the new smaller thread outer, I may then find the new inner won't fit the center link, etc, etc.

At this point it seems I can either change out the entire steering linkage to match the new spindles I have.
Or
Find out how to determine what year the current steering linkage is and then find a stock height spindle to match and also fit the current control arms which I believe are stock.
I'm not sure of the best way to do this other than taking parts off and matching them at the auto parts store. I probably should have done that before ordering the spindels but hey. Education isn't free and thank God for forums like this.

I'd like to keep the current steering linkage so what's the best way to determine what year linkage I have and what stock height spindle will fit it and my current control arms?
Old 04-15-2017, 02:45 PM   #4
pwrbrkpadguy

I just finished my disc brake upgrade,passenger side spindle did the exact same thing. I ground down the small amount of steel and all is well.
pwrbrkpadguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 05:56 PM   #5
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I am guessing you got adapter tie rod piece. I have seem some of the lower spindles that use the 71-87 sleeve outer tie rod with the original 63-70 inner side tierod. That would explain why the diameter is off. I would imagine if you could find an original style tie rod collar you would be goo then.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:51 PM   #6
Texas66

Pwrbrk, Palf
Thanks for the input. Hopefully when I get the truck back on the ground the rubbing will be cured.
Issue for now is the two different sizes on the inner and outer tie rods.
Is there such a thing as an adjusting sleeve that works for this situation? I thought adjusting sleeves are the same size on both ends. If someone makes one that has different sizes on each end then that should solve my problem.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:53 PM   #7
dracko

On an unrelated note, does that brake line get pinched when turning hard right? Looks tight too.
dracko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:52 PM   #8
Texas66

It doesn't get pinched. I haven't driven it much at all. Bought it, drove it home, then started taking it apart.
Old 04-16-2017, 12:08 AM   #9
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

My comment about the steering linkage not being original was based on the appearance of the idler arm. I suppose it is possible the the PO mixed and matched parts from different years of trucks. As for the tie rod mismatch, it sounds like you will need a pair of those aftermarket aluminum tierod adapter sleeves. Most of the big name parts suppliers have them. I would verify before purchase that they will work with the parts you have.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:41 PM   #10
dracko

Cool man I've just been looking at brake lines lately because that's next on my To-Do list
dracko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:33 PM   #11
Texas66

Captainfab
I believe you're right about the steering linkage. I'm going to pull the inner tie rod and see if the guys at the auto parts store will pull an inner for an early to mid '70's C10 to see if we can find a match.

Right now my inner tie rod thread is a 11/16-18 LH thread and the outer is a 5/8-18 RH thread.
I'll try the online stores like you mentioned to see if I can find one that carries a sleeve that works for that.

Do you know what '70 model's C10 spindel will fit my '66 control arms? I've seen where some say 1973 thru 1978 stock height spindles and ball joints will work and some say 1971 thru 1978.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:37 AM   #12
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The '71-'72 C10's use an oddball balljoint. The '73-'87 C10's are all basically the same. Just change the balljoints and add the spindles.

I don't think the later model tierods will work with your original draglink. This is why I always recommend changing the entire steering linkage to that from a donor truck.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:50 PM   #13
Texas66

Yeah I might be starting over with this set up. Time to take measurements and see what will and won't work.
Thanks for your help and input.