The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-06-2024, 03:28 AM   #1
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

What're you gonna do? Rant.

I had to pay a $250 deductible to get my car out of the body shop. WTF. He hit me! I was just minding my own mentally challenged business when this empty skull ran a red light and smashed into me. How did this cost me $250? What did I do?

I've had speeding tickets that were less and I actually was responsible for those. Boys will be boys.

I guess that they just do it because they can.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 07:43 AM   #2
Boog
laying low

Re: What're you gonna do? Rant.

It's like a penalty (fine) for putting your vehicle at that spot when the other driver came by. It's nuts.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 07:45 AM   #3
sakustoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post
I had to pay a $250 deductible to get my car out of the body shop. WTF. He hit me! I was just minding my own mentally challenged business when this empty skull ran a red light and smashed into me. How did this cost me $250? What did I do?

I've had speeding tickets that were less and I actually was responsible for those. Boys will be boys.

I guess that they just do it because they can.
I would talk to your insurance company. Get them to go after the other persons insurance to cover that. There's no way a bodyshop should charge you a deductible to give your car back.
sakustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 09:12 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

Don't even get me started on the win/win industry that is so fat that it's the only one I know of that looks for the slightest picky little things for an excuse to turn away business.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 09:47 AM   #5
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Same as Tim, I just went thru the wringer with insurance after some wizz head pulled a uturn in front of me and totaled my truck...
Cost me plenty..
I also had to pay my deductible, but i got refunded for that later on..

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver

Last edited by mongocanfly; 02-06-2024 at 10:44 AM.
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 10:26 AM   #6
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

That doesn't make any sense. Agreed, go after the kid's insurance company for it, though you shouldn't have to.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 10:43 AM   #7
72c20customcamper

Did your company pay for the damage ? If so your deductible comes into play if your company subros it they should get your deductible back in a while it could take months
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 10:46 AM   #8
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakustoms View Post
I would talk to your insurance company. Get them to go after the other persons insurance to cover that. There's no way a bodyshop should charge you a deductible to give your car back.
The shop has every right to get the deductible. If it’s 3000 and insurance pays that minus the deductible. If Paul’s insurance paid the claim should the shop eat the deductible?

On the other hand if the other guys insurance paid it , no deductible should be involved
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 11:41 AM   #9
chevmn

I hate to say it, but you might want to talk to an attorney, or at least talk to the other guys insurance and threaten to. The last couple times I dealt with insurance companies it was quite a challenge to wrestle anything out of them. On the last one where I was hit in the rear, they were totalling my old car, and of course not wanting to pay much for it, and I fully planned on keeping the car and fixing the damage myself. After a couple mentions of just contacting my attorney, and mentioning that I really needed to check on some lower back pain, the figure became acceptable. Funny how that works. Keep in mind insurance companies are in it for profit, and not our benefit. Oh, and most shops I have dealt with will work with you on deductibles, especially in your situation, but I know the shops have really gotten greedy. I usually try to let the insurance pay me, then I deal directly with the shop. I have seen a few shops make side deals with insurance companies (probably pay off for the adjusters), and not to the benefit of the consumer
chevmn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 01:05 PM   #10
sakustoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
The shop has every right to get the deductible. If it’s 3000 and insurance pays that minus the deductible. If Paul’s insurance paid the claim should the shop eat the deductible?

On the other hand if the other guys insurance paid it , no deductible should be involved
Totally agree here. If his insurance picked up the tab then yes he owes the deductible. I guess I'm just going off the assumption that the other persons insurance paid the claim.
Old 02-06-2024, 01:24 PM   #11
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

No attorney's for me. They'll get my $250 back and charge me $8,000 to do it. Forget that. I never questioned the fee. Probably should have but I was tired and just wanted to get the car and get back home. I was an hour away and it was getting dark and I didn't have my glasses which I need to drive in the dark especially up that dang windy canyon road, so I just paid and put the pedal to the metal. I could fight it but I probably wont because I'm sick of fighting about everything which seems to be the norm these days. Maybe I'll get a check in the mail, I just did from my health insurance and have no idea what it was for. I didn't care, I cashed it $300 I really don't get the system and don't care to. Ignorance is bliss.

On the other hand. The car turned out beautifully. The shop did a great job. The tab was over $6000 and it took a month (parts shortage yeah sure ).

Tim, I know what you mean about the insurance racket. My homeowners insurance just went up again because of the fires a couple years ago. No one wants to write houses up here. You can't get it unless you pay through the nose. In my case it's $8600 for a year and lucky to get it at all if you can call that lucky.

What the hell. These are only distractions. Life is beautiful.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 02-06-2024, 01:59 PM   #12
sakustoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post
No attorney's for me. They'll get my $250 back and charge me $8,000 to do it. Forget that. I never questioned the fee. Probably should have but I was tired and just wanted to get the car and get back home. I was an hour away and it was getting dark and I didn't have my glasses which I need to drive in the dark especially up that dang windy canyon road, so I just paid and put the pedal to the metal. I could fight it but I probably wont because I'm sick of fighting about everything which seems to be the norm these days. Maybe I'll get a check in the mail, I just did from my health insurance and have no idea what it was for. I didn't care, I cashed it $300 I really don't get the system and don't care to. Ignorance is bliss.

On the other hand. The car turned out beautifully. The shop did a great job. The tab was over $6000 and it took a month (parts shortage yeah sure ).

Tim, I know what you mean about the insurance racket. My homeowners insurance just went up again because of the fires a couple years ago. No one wants to write houses up here. You can't get it unless you pay through the nose. In my case it's $8600 for a year and lucky to get it at all if you can call that lucky.

What the hell. These are only distractions. Life is beautiful.
Glad you got your car back and are satisfied with it. That's the number one important thing.

As for $8600 for homeowner insurance... Holy crap that's insane. But I supposed it's the price for being able to live where you want to.
Old 02-06-2024, 02:14 PM   #13
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevmn View Post
I hate to say it, but you might want to talk to an attorney, or at least talk to the other guys insurance and threaten to.
That $250 is going to be eaten up in the first hour your attorney spends talking to you.
Old 02-06-2024, 02:25 PM   #14
Rich84

Make a call to your Insurance agent. Like said before, if his company paid then there is no deductible. Subrogation does take some time though.
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 03:36 PM   #15
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Wow..that's some insane homeowners...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 06:21 PM   #16
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

I have a friend who just had an accident totally not his fault. He is a long haul trucker and was in a lumber yard in Vermont 1000 ft away from everyone else rolling up straps on his flatdeck and some idiot in a box truck backed up into his nose doing almost 9K worth of damages. Thank god the whole incident was caught on dash cam , completely absolving my friend. Turns out the box truck driver presented an invalid ID card, the address corresponds to a vacant lot, and my buddy is out his deductible, lost pay as well as a hotel room and transportation to and from the crash site to NJ where he lives. Luckilly the damages to his truck were covered by his own insurance carrier less the above. Although they are looking to get the money back, they have to find this guy if they can, and usually that results in a whole lot of people not caring and him getting away with it.
Paul your insurance needs to go after the guy who hit you for the deductible and the rest of the damages , at which time you should be refunded as long as the idiot is not in the wind like this guy i spoke of

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 05:17 AM   #17
chevmn

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
That $250 is going to be eaten up in the first hour your attorney spends talking to you.
They should go after the other (at fault) insurance company. Usually it doesn’t cost to ask, but I’d not pay if other driver is at fault. I’m no fan of lawyers either but sometimes just the threat will get results.
Old 02-07-2024, 09:01 AM   #18
special-K
Special Order

Why would Paul's insurance company be paying the bill when the other vehicle ran a red light? There should be no doubt about who was at fault, therefore no doubt about whose insurance pays the bill.

When I first got my '95 Suburban, which I bought in Georgia with a perfect body, I had a guy hit me. Sitting in a line of cars at a traffic light where "ahead of me" the single lane splits into three, left turn, straight, and right turn. So from 10' wide to 30' wide. Where the road was 20' wide and not yet marked as separate lanes, with my right blinker on, I went to turn into the bank on the corner. Just at their property is curbing. Before that is a pothole filled gravel shoulder from right turners squeezing past the line of straight and left turners. As I start my turn I notice movement in my right peripheral and stop. I look back to see this imp who was trying to squeeze through. All I heard were my tools getting jolted. I pull on in to the drive-thru and I see the imp pulling in. The allegedly male person walks up with his nasal voice and says, "You hit my car". I said, "Buddy, I wasn't driving backwards. I'll talk to you when I'm done my business". Meanwhile, he calls his insurance to tell his lie, claiming no turn signal and I turned from the left lane. I told my company the truth that at that point there was only one lane and his impatience and haste is what caused the accident. My guy looked at Google Earth and verified the lanes had not formed until after the bank entrance.

All good now, right? After no call from USAA I call and ask where they'd like me have my paintless repair taken care of. That's when I learn they found both of us at fault. She said their wussy was clearly at fault, as there was no lane for him where the accident occurred, but I was also at fault for leaving him room to try to squeeze by? I didn't realize I was responsible for the other driver's decision. I told her, "Obviously there wasn't enough room or we wouldn't have contacted. Did you raise children and did you teach them to own up when they did something wrong or did you teach them to lie and try to get away with it??". And what about him ignoring my signal that had been on through the entire red light? We had just begun moving and this guy came from back before the line, down the shoulder just whizzing along like the impatient entitled S.O.B. (actually, not the son) he was. What a crock!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 02-07-2024, 01:29 PM   #19
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Believe it or not my insurance company called me. They are fighting with the kids insurance. I guess that's how they do it. But I'm getting my deductible back. They said that the other insurance should pay it.

I paid a hospital $300 a while back and a week later they sent me a check for $300. I don't get how these things work.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 02-07-2024, 02:02 PM   #20
Accelo

My car has a feature I love.
When you honk the horn it starts recording from 30sec back in time.
All 6 cameras are recording.
I guess it could absolve one or prove them guilty.

A friend of mine is a Lawyer. Worked for an insurance company for a short time.
Their job was to fight every battle, no matter the fault, as long as it saved the company money. Couldn't take it for long and moved on.

In 2008 my insurance cost doubled. I complained to the WA State insurance commissioner.
What I found out is;
By law the insurance company is guaranteed not to loose money.
The answer came back, "The stock marked had gone down and their investments lost money so they had the right to up rates.
When the market came back my rates went down. That's sarcasm. LOL.

When you have a powerful lobby the laws favor big money/corporations.

Last edited by Accelo; 02-07-2024 at 02:14 PM.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 02:31 PM   #21
chevmn

About 10 years or so ago someone pulled out and broadsided my wife. She at first thought they were going to just leave, but she saw the driver and passenger switch seats (big red flag there). They came back, and come to find out apparently it was a father/daughter deal, and he took responsibility and stated he was driving, and gave her the insurance info. I drove to the scene, and at first insisted to wait on law enforcement for a report. Ultimately he talked us into just swapping info, and going on (bad move). By the end of the day his story changed, and claimed my wife swerved into his vehicle. Fortunately both insurance adjusters found him at fault, and his insurance paid for our damages. Fast forward a few months, and I filed a claim with their insurance for "loss of value" -- meaning once a vehicle has been damaged, it is worth less on trade or sale assuming it is known. We ended up getting an additonal $1200 in lost value. No attorney was involved, and they never put up a fight over it. A little known way to claim additonal loss. We took the extra $1200 and applied it toward a trade on a new vehicle.

We never mentioned the seat swap, and my guess was the daughter was not insured, so we felt best to let things go as long as his insurance paid up. But I worried about what might happen, and they were pulling out from a bar when they hit the wifes car. Probably the reason he was reluctant about law being involved. But from now on, I will insist on a police report.
Old 02-07-2024, 02:39 PM   #22
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post
My car has a feature I love.
When you honk the horn it starts recording from 30sec back in time.
All 6 cameras are recording.
I guess it could absolve one or prove them guilty.

A friend of mine is a Lawyer. Worked for an insurance company for a short time.
Their job was to fight every battle, no matter the fault, as long as it saved the company money. Couldn't take it for long and moved on.

In 2008 my insurance cost doubled. I complained to the WA State insurance commissioner.
What I found out is;
By law the insurance company is guaranteed not to loose money.
The answer came back, "The stock marked had gone down and their investments lost money so they had the right to up rates.
When the market came back my rates went down. That's sarcasm. LOL.

When you have a powerful lobby the laws favor big money/corporations.
Wasn't there some insurance company years ago that got in some real trouble for denying every single claim no matter of what the circumstance were? I can't remember the name. My memory isn't so hot these days.

It just goes to show that if the press gets some dirt on them and shines the light on them even their paid off cronies can't help them. They're too busy running for cover.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 02-19-2024, 09:08 AM   #23
special-K
Special Order

I brought this back because I have a rant (not worth it's own thread)

I'm looking to order a chair slipcover from Overstock for my poor old chair I use in my bedroom. The material is giving out. Ok, so I find one that looks like it was made just for this chair. Perfect! I'm going to buy it. Put it in my cart, on sale today, and shipping adds $4.99. OK, no problem. I look down lower where they offer all these ways to pay and I see "Add $8.32 for free shipping" WHAT?? Am I stupid for thinking if I pay $12.31 for shipping it isn't free????

Tim

Old 02-19-2024, 09:53 AM   #24
Axle

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Why would Paul's insurance company be paying the bill when the other vehicle ran a red light? There should be no doubt about who was at fault, therefore no doubt about whose insurance pays the bill.
If you live in a no-fault state/province, the only thing that gets assigned to drivers is fault percentage. Yes, percentage. Your own company foots the bill for your stuff, the other drivers company foots the bill for their drivers costs. Fault determination will play into who's rate go up and how much. All this does is get a lot more cars written off.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 12:22 PM   #25
special-K
Special Order

How about this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I brought this back because I have a rant (not worth it's own thread)

I'm looking to order a chair slipcover from Overstock for my poor old chair I use in my bedroom. The material is giving out. Ok, so I find one that looks like it was made just for this chair. Perfect! I'm going to buy it. Put it in my cart, on sale today, and shipping adds $4.99. OK, no problem. I look down lower where they offer all these ways to pay and I see "Add $8.32 for free shipping" WHAT?? Am I stupid for thinking if I pay $12.31 for shipping it isn't free????
Thanks for the explanation, Axle

Tim