The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-14-2013, 04:43 PM   #1
910hugger

Headers vs Ram Horn

Well I am currently on the fence about the idea of swapping my factory manifolds for a set of headers on my 72 K5 . The heads are being upgraded as well as a cam, intake, carb, dist swap. The exhaust also needs an upgrade and figure if I was going to make the change now would be the time.

Who is running headers and who isn't ?

If so what brand? Specs? Issues? Regrets ( hopefully not )?
910hugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:50 PM   #2
910hugger

Re: Headers vs Ram Horn

Better list the specs of parts going in before asked:

355 8.5:1
Dart Pro 1 Aluminum heads 2.02/1.60 72cc chamber
Comp Xtreme roller 270
Comp roller lifters
Comp Gold 1.5 roller rockers
Edelbrock Performer RPM
Edelbrock 600cfm
MSD dist

The headers should help on performance and flow better but this is more of a daily driver.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #3
truckster

I've been running headers on mine and I'm switching back to manifolds. It seems I fix one leak and the next one pops up. Plus I just don't like the noise; it seems the headers make a lot more noise in the cab.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #4
Effeckt

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
I've been running headers on mine and I'm switching back to manifolds. It seems I fix one leak and the next one pops up. Plus I just don't like the noise; it seems the headers make a lot more noise in the cab.
I am doing the exact same thing. I just bought a pair of Dorman 674-504's for mine that I will be installing here in the near future.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:29 PM   #5
turp mcspray

I'm a header fan! I put some Summit brand headers on my blazer about 15 years ago. Also have summit brand on my 65 elcamino, which are identical to the hookers on my 68 chevelle. I've never had any problems with any of them.
My Blazer build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342299
turp mcspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:28 AM   #6
rsavage

I have mixed feelings on headers. I have had them on several vehicles over the years. On a lot of applications (don't know about our trucks as I have used only exhaust manifolds) it makes changing the starter a real PITA if not almost impossible without removing or loosening that side. They also put a lot more heat into the interior in the summer than do manifolds and the tubes often run closer to the starter and oil filter putting more heat into the oil and sometimes causing heat soak issues with the starter. I love the sound, but I actually just took the headers off my 65 GTO and went back to exhaust manifolds for all the above reasons. Our trucks have more room so maybe the starter wouldn't be a problem. Why don't you ask for folks to post some photos of both sides from underneath to see clearances.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:00 AM   #7
68panelman

I too have headers, Hedman brand, they don't leak now, but I do have a back-up set of manifolds for when they do. Seems every truck I bought had them and i always went back to manifolds. They always gave me starter problems, Leaks ect.
68panelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:07 AM   #8
jc06vmax

Watching this one.. I'm a huge fan of headers, but I hate leaks just as much as I love headers. I just had my exhaust redone from the manifold back and it's leak free right now...but it's hard to beat the sound of headers..

Decisions decisions..
Posted via Mobile Device
jc06vmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #9
Firebirdjones

I've run headers on mine for years. I've never had any problems most people seem to associate with them, but I tend to think some of those problems come from cheaper brands with thin flanges, cheap gaskets, etc...

With a good quality header, and a good gasket, I never have to even touch the headers,,,,for years!! I prefer a copper gasket, they don't blow out, they are reusable if you remove them for any reason, and they just flat work I prefer a header with a 3/8 thick flange and also prefer a standard 3 bolt gasket flange on the collector (again with copper gaskets).
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:03 PM   #10
910hugger

On my 68 I ran headers for 6 years and the issues I had were collector gaskets twice and headers bolts lossening off. The sound cannot be beat though!!!

Starting to lean towards a goodvset of headers, copper gaskets and a properly built exhaust ( good rubber mounts LOTS )

Any recommendations on brand of headers?
I have used hooker and herman.

Actually I had headers on my 93 sierra and never had an issue in 5 years
Old 02-15-2013, 02:23 PM   #11
jc06vmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
I've run headers on mine for years. I've never had any problems most people seem to associate with them, but I tend to think some of those problems come from cheaper brands with thin flanges, cheap gaskets, etc...

With a good quality header, and a good gasket, I never have to even touch the headers,,,,for years!!
What brand headers have you run in the past? I almost feel like it's luck of the draw as far as how good the fit is for headers, regardless of the brand...which makes me want to lean towards a cheaper set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 910hugger View Post
Starting to lean towards a goodvset of headers, copper gaskets and a properly built exhaust ( good rubber mounts LOTS )

Any recommendations on brand of headers?
I have used hooker and herman.

Actually I had headers on my 93 sierra and never had an issue in 5 years
I've had Pacesetter long tubes on my 06 Sierra for 3 years now with absolutely no issues. Some guys on the SSS board run $1200-$1700 sets of headers and still aren't absolutely perfect. I opted for the absolute cheapest available and ended up getting away with it.

On the flip side, my buddy ordered a set of Pacesetter long tubes for his 01 Ram and has had problems ever since. From leaking to having to dimple them to be off the frame to more leaks, it's all happened to him.

Since these trucks have been around for over 40 years, and with the market for SBC parts, surely some company has hit the nail on the head as far as design and quality go without breaking the bank..?
Posted via Mobile Device
jc06vmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:22 PM   #12
Firebirdjones

It depends on the car in question as I have a slew of different brands with completely different engines.

On our 4th gen Fbodies with LS power, I've run Pacesetter with good results, Kooks with good results. On the LS Vette I like the ARH's. On my big block chevelle I use Hooker Super Comps with no issues. My 4x4 blazer, Hedmans that were somewhat cheaper but fit fine and no leaks or issues.
I run a cheap set of $89 Hedmans on my 79 pickup with a 502, cheesy thin flanges too, but with copper gaskets, they work fine, haven't touched them in a couple years since I installed the 502. Ran them for 15 years on the original 454 before that, worked fine. I just reused them on the 502, However this engine could use a larger diameter, more collector length to optimize it, but there wasn't anything wrong with them so they went back on.
I was running Hooker Super comps on my 70 formula as well when not pure stock racing it, and had them on for years without touching them. Going back to the ram air manifolds per rules though.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:00 PM   #13
910hugger

On a sbc in 67-72 what are header brand preferences ?

I have used hedman and hooker both worked well, collector gasket issues.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:00 PM   #14
OC 72

Have you looked at these?
Corvette ram horn manifolds...

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/ram-ho...ifolds-th.html
OC 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #15
Ole Beater

I bought hegmanns through summit with the ball and socket collector. No problems at all at the collector. I occasionally tighten the bolts at the heads though. The other problem with headers is the finnish. Hedmans come painted with cheap paint that doesnt hold up.
Ole Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:42 PM   #16
Dale99

I put manifolds on. Ive had 7 sets of headers over the years and had problems with leaks and connections coming loose over the years. Ive had good brands, cheap brands, different types of connections. All had problems.
1972 Jimmy 4x4 L05,4L60E,np205http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=546364
1967 C10 L6/3tree(dads truck)
Dale99 is offline   Reply With Quote