The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-08-2017, 02:43 PM   #1
flyingcubby

71 Blazer double Hatch glass replacement

After 46 years a stupid accident in that the rear hatch came down on some 2x4's after hitting a pot hole and shattered. The only saving grace is the window tinting. To the question,does anyone know where to buy a replacement glass. Is it single pane or double. Thanks in advance for any ideas.
flyingcubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:19 PM   #2
JMo241

Re: 71 Blazer double Hatch glass replacement

I actually have an extra...my hatch was busted but glass was good. Bought a new hatch with glass in it. If you ever get up to Dallas I would sell it to you.A glass shop might just be able to cut you one but idk what kind it is or how much.
JMo241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:22 PM   #3
flyingcubby

What are u asking for it, would u be willing to ship...Mike shoot me a pm please
Old 03-08-2017, 07:26 PM   #4
stangtjk

There is a seller on eBay that sells replacement glass (Auto City Classics). They didn't have a listing for blazers but I asked on one of the c10 listings if they could do a full set of glass for a blazer including the sides and rear glass for the hardtop and they quoted me somewhere in the neighborhood of $500. That included door glass and windshield. I haven't pulled the trigger yet so I can't attest to the fitment.

Last edited by stangtjk; 03-08-2017 at 07:31 PM.
stangtjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 04:49 PM   #5
flyingcubby

Thanks for the reply, 1rippen6 made a tracing of the extra one he had for me, Now the local glass company that said they would cut one for me backed out. So I'm hoping one day somebody will have one up for sale.

Jmo241 where did you purchase your new glass for yours. I really need to get mine replaced.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:00 AM   #6
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcubby View Post
Thanks for the reply, 1rippen6 made a tracing of the extra one he had for me, Now the local glass company that said they would cut one for me backed out. So I'm hoping one day somebody will have one up for sale.

Jmo241 where did you purchase your new glass for yours. I really need to get mine replaced.
I would think there would be a lot of glass shops in the San Antonio area. If the shop you contacted can't cut flat laminated glass, they probably shouldn't be in the business.

Just FYI, the original glass is probably tempered - I'm not aware of any Blazers that came with laminated side glass. If you want, you can take your pattern to a good glass shop and get a quote for a piece of tempered. They'll send the pattern to a tempering shop and it usually takes about a week or so to get your glass back.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:10 PM   #7
JMo241

I bought a hatch off of here with glass in it....the glass I have is from my old hatch....I might just save it in case I pull a move like you did lol
Old 06-21-2017, 10:37 PM   #8
flyingcubby

update, no glass shop herein san antonio area will cut a piece of glass. I've looked on the net for custom glass cutters for antique cars & trucks. Still waiting for their responces. The learning curve from my experiance is "Don't trust the hatch supports"
Old 06-22-2017, 08:26 AM   #9
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Quote:
update, no glass shop herein san antonio area will cut a piece of glass.
Man, that surprises me. The first glass shop I tried when I was in Ca. did them all right up.
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:51 AM   #10
JMo241

I'm heading down your way this weekend flying cubby....sent you a pm
Old 06-22-2017, 10:47 AM   #11
flyingcubby

Respond to your PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo241 View Post
I'm heading down your way this weekend flying cubby....sent you a pm
Old 06-22-2017, 07:38 PM   #12
70k5pk

I had a rear hatch glass cut at Thad Ziglar Glass by 410 and Vance Jackson if I remember that address correctly. A little pricey $200
70k5pk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:26 PM   #13
flyingcubby

Went past there two week ago took templete. The glass man said they would no longer cut the glass. Said they didn't want the liabilty. Jason who lives in Dallas area said a while back he had an extra hatch glass. He text me today that he was comming this way this weekend and bringing it with him so I could buy it from him. Great guy. So by the end of the weekend I will have the replacement. Thanks for your advice. Our parts are getting harder and harder to come by.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:33 PM   #14
Maximus

Quote:
Our parts are getting harder and harder to come by.
No kidding! I spent a year looking for a decent whole hatch I could buy, found one driving distance, considered selling my crappy hatch (fiberglass is junk but it has some hardware and good glass) but realized if I ever need a piece off it I would be SOL, So I kept it and will use it as spares... I grew up restoring a '65 mustang and then my '55 chevy stepside, I was spoiled with parts availability at a young age.....

but whenever I think the blazer is hard to find parts for I remind myself of my old Caddy I have in queue....

Glad you were able to solve your rear glass situation!
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 01:05 PM   #15
flyingcubby

Maximas, when we lived in Fresno we had a large selection of places where we could get parts for the Blazer. Until we moved from there in 2010 it was a parts paradise. Living there for 40+ years we had acquainces with many people. Now being here in Texas for less than a year is a different story.I thank the people here on the site that have helped all. There are many repop parts out there to be had. Come to find out ppg stopped making replacement glass for the hatchs for our toys two years ago. Now its a hunt and peck situation. I learned my lesson, don't drive on pot hole roads with 2x4's sticking out the back with the hatch open. Disaster just waiting to happen. I'm really Blessed for what Jason is doing. Antique glass companies want $300 or more plus $150.00 shipping if they feel like cutting it. For us old retired folks thats out of my price range..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
No kidding! I spent a year looking for a decent whole hatch I could buy, found one driving distance, considered selling my crappy hatch (fiberglass is junk but it has some hardware and good glass) but realized if I ever need a piece off it I would be SOL, So I kept it and will use it as spares... I grew up restoring a '65 mustang and then my '55 chevy stepside, I was spoiled with parts availability at a young age.....

but whenever I think the blazer is hard to find parts for I remind myself of my old Caddy I have in queue....

Glad you were able to solve your rear glass situation!
Old 08-23-2018, 09:44 PM   #16
70k5pk

Need to know if anyone has right front utility seat brackets for sale for 1970 K5.
70k5pk is offline   Reply With Quote