The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-08-2020, 12:08 AM   #1
malc1080

Same Wide tires on all four. The ford lightning look

Good evening and hope everyone is doing well! So I tried looking around and I can’t find a post on having the same widest tire on our square bodies. We have seen 275/60/15s and even 295/50/15s n all four it’s a killer look! But has anyone ran 275s and up on all four on a bigger wheel like 17in and up? This idea came up when I found out 2003- 2004 ford Lightnings have 295/45/18s on all four! Now that’s a race truck! So if anyone has pictures of 275 and up on all four corners please post them for anyone else who plans on rocking the the ford lightning look!
malc1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 10:25 AM   #2
evan

Re: Same Wide tires on all four. The ford lightning look

Quote:
Originally Posted by malc1080 View Post
Good evening and hope everyone is doing well! So I tried looking around and I can’t find a post on having the same widest tire on our square bodies. We have seen 275/60/15s and even 295/50/15s n all four it’s a killer look! But has anyone ran 275s and up on all four on a bigger wheel like 17in and up? This idea came up when I found out 2003- 2004 ford Lightnings have 295/45/18s on all four! Now that’s a race truck! So if anyone has pictures of 275 and up on all four corners please post them for anyone else who plans on rocking the the ford lightning look!
Mike is running 295/50/15 on 10" wide wheels front and back but it took some modifications.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=803543&page=3
Old 09-08-2020, 12:16 PM   #3
Loco83

Tried running a 10" rim up front with a 5" BS but it would'nt clear the caliper, maybe with a 4" BS, don't think it would look very good due to the front having a wider track than the rear axle.
Loco83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 12:21 PM   #4
malc1080

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan View Post
Mike is running 295/50/15 on 10" wide wheels front and back but it took some modifications.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=803543&page=3
Perfect example! What a great Looking truck! I wouldn’t change a thing! You did a good job on the front because the 295s don’t even stick out like other post I saw with the same setup.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-08-2020, 12:25 PM   #5
Loco83

He did a great job getting the 10's to work up front, i forgot all about this truck, i'll be going to 18's next year and then going to try for 10's on the front.
Loco83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 12:53 PM   #6
malc1080

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco83 View Post
He did a great job getting the 10's to work up front, i forgot all about this truck, i'll be going to 18's next year and then going to try for 10's on the front.
I’m sure you’ll be able to get it done. You’re truck is nice too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-09-2020, 09:11 AM   #7
mikentosh

Quote:
Perfect example! What a great Looking truck! I wouldn’t change a thing! You did a good job on the front because the 295s don’t even stick out like other post I saw with the same setup.
Posted via Mobile Device
The reason I could make this work on Greenie was that most aftermarket drop members (mine is a Choppin Block one) have a narrowed track width for guys that want to run a big diameter wheel at full drop...I used it to my advantage with the 15x10 up front. Those wheels are all 5” backspacing and I’m actually running a spacer up front to get the track width to line up with the rear 😊

If you want to see a wide tire/square setup with a larger wheel diameter then take a look at my previous project, Cannonball C10...it has 19x12s all corners with 345/30R19s!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...602304&page=14
mikentosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:09 PM   #8
malc1080

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikentosh View Post
The reason I could make this work on Greenie was that most aftermarket drop members (mine is a Choppin Block one) have a narrowed track width for guys that want to run a big diameter wheel at full drop...I used it to my advantage with the 15x10 up front. Those wheels are all 5” backspacing and I’m actually running a spacer up front to get the track width to line up with the rear 😊

If you want to see a wide tire/square setup with a larger wheel diameter then take a look at my previous project, Cannonball C10...it has 19x12s all corners with 345/30R19s!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...602304&page=14
What an awesome truck! I saw your truck when I was watching United by Trucks on youtube when he filmed the pro touring truck shootout by street trucks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-09-2020, 12:36 PM   #9
mikentosh

Quote:
What an awesome truck! I saw your truck when I was watching United by Trucks on youtube when he filmed the pro touring truck shootout by street trucks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Oh yeah I haven't had a chance to see UBT's video of the event yet. I sold that truck to a buddy here in the Bay Area a couple of years back, and he sent it over to Saudi Arabia for the Riyadh auto week last year...it arrived back to the US through an east coast port so he kept it his friend's shop in Bowling Green...which was convenient for the pro touring truck shootout 😃

We actually have recently revisited another old build of mine, which I haven't updated in a long time:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=684425

This one is back to running a 19x12 square setup again. I'll need to update that thread, but attaching a teaser pic here.
Attached Images

Old 09-09-2020, 12:49 PM   #10
malc1080

Quote:
Oh yeah I haven't had a chance to see UBT's video of the event yet. I sold that truck to a buddy here in the Bay Area a couple of years back, and he sent it over to Saudi Arabia for the Riyadh auto week last year...it arrived back to the US through an east coast port so he kept it his friend's shop in Bowling Green...which was convenient for the pro touring truck shootout 😃

We actually have recently revisited another old build of mine, which I haven't updated in a long time:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=684425

This one is back to running a 19x12 square setup again. I'll need to update that thread, but attaching a teaser pic here.
Yea it looked like an awesome event. Kinda jealous that here in Cali we had truck events get cancelled.

You did a wonderful job on the build and your friend just has to enjoy it. All the hard work was done lol. He sure sounds powerful being able to move a vehicle like that and travel. Good for both of you!

You sure build awesome race trucks! I really love the square setup as well. It suits the Squarebody so well. That will definitely be my goal on my Squarebody. I’ll be following along on your thread builds!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-09-2020, 01:00 PM   #11
mikentosh

Quote:
You did a wonderful job on the build and your friend just has to enjoy it. All the hard work was done lol. He sure sounds powerful being able to move a vehicle like that and travel. Good for both of you! ]
Thanks! The amazing thing was that the Saudi government paid for all the transportation of the vehicles back and forth to the US...to help alleviate the great concerns that most owners had about the show 😊
Old 09-09-2020, 01:24 PM   #12
malc1080

Quote:
Thanks! The amazing thing was that the Saudi government paid for all the transportation of the vehicles back and forth to the US...to help alleviate the great concerns that most owners had about the show 😊
Wow what a nice government. Paying so their citizens and visitors can enjoy an auto event
Posted via Mobile Device