The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-08-2014, 08:40 PM   #1951
69Rumbler

Re: SoCal checkin' in

Please note that you must be a supporting member to post classified items. This includes but is not limited to What Its Worth, Want To Buy, Want To Trade, and For Sale. Please consider supporting the forum by subscribing. Further information on the subscription levels available are located here

If you need any further assistance with that please contact any Admin for help.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:41 AM   #1952
InitialBoss

Hey guys, I've run into a little snag with my truck. It appears to be leaking trans fluid or the fluid is spurting out of the fill tube. I noticed that there appeared to be fluid underneath my truck and on my cardboard boxes I put under it. I'm thinking it's splashing my hood because I notice a big stain on the underside of my hood near where the trans fluid dipstick and filler tube area is. I'm wondering if the previous mechanic created too much vacuum when he thought that was the reason why the truck was having shifting issues? He was trying to get more vacuum since it was only getting 6-7" or so and he said it needed 10-15" IIRC. Would that be a reason why that may be causing the fluid to shoot out of the filler tube?

Do you guys recommend a shop in the IE to have them check it out or should I take it to a trans shop? Once I get this fluid leak sorted out, I then need to make sure all my fuses are working and all my exterior and interior lights work. I still need to fix my funky speedo and fuel gauge too. I've been busy with a new baby boy so my time has been a little tied up. I really want this truck to be reliable but now it seems like one thing breaks and another does soon after.

I'm also wondering if it's worth fixing up the truck to potentially haul a car on a trailer? I want to pick up a classic mustang and I know this I6 won't be able to haul a 3-4k lbs car, but would it take much to fix up to haul one? Sorry for the long post guys but I'm getting frustrated with the fluid issues. I don't want to hassle with that so I can fix the other things on my list. These other "issues" always seem to cost more money.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:59 AM   #1953
VWNate1

Post Re: SoCal checkin' in

ATF coming out the filler tube ? that's a new one on me , have you checked the tranny fluid level when it's HOT , truck idling on a *perfectly* flat and level place ? .

Off hand I'd say you need a new Mechanic .

As much as I love old Chevy trucks , this may not be a good choice for a working /towing vehicle as you're not a Mechanic and any 36 year old truck is going to need fairly constant fiddling to make it a reliable daily driver .

I'd love to have found it a few years ago when I needed a I6 powered automatic short bed .
'69 C/10 shortbed sidemount survivor 250 L6 W/ 350TH
Old 01-12-2014, 05:32 AM   #1954
InitialBoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWNate1 View Post
ATF coming out the filler tube ? that's a new one on me , have you checked the tranny fluid level when it's HOT , truck idling on a *perfectly* flat and level place ? .

Off hand I'd say you need a new Mechanic .

As much as I love old Chevy trucks , this may not be a good choice for a working /towing vehicle as you're not a Mechanic and any 36 year old truck is going to need fairly constant fiddling to make it a reliable daily driver .

I'd love to have found it a few years ago when I needed a I6 powered automatic short bed .
Ha ha, yeah, this guy is good with repairing brakes and stuff but with other things, I wish I knew of another mechanic. It's weird because it wasn't leaking at all and hasn't been driven too much but it is old and seals wear out. Then all of a sudden I noticed a lot more drips and signs of liquid underneath it and on the cardboard. I'll check the level again when the ATF is warmed up sufficiently. I just remember seeing a little bit of the stain under the hood about 2 months ago. Then last Saturday, I noticed there was quite a bit more. The oil level is showing full, so I'm thinking that's ok.

I don't know why but for some reason, I wish the truck also came with a tach. LOL. I don't really need it I guess but it seems to be naked without it. Ha ha.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:49 AM   #1955
VWNate1

Post Re: SoCal checkin' in

Well ;

If you look underneath the truck right where the ATF fill tube fits onto the tranny , it'll often be wet ~ if so , the tube seal is prolly gone bad , it's very easy to replace , there's two types of tube seals and you'll want the " Top Hat " style one ~ look it up on NAPA's OnLine catalog then order it in (about $6) and be sure to clean al the accumulated ATF & grime away far around that side of the tranny BEFORE you replace the seal ! a tiny bit of crud falling into the tranny can kill it .

The tube has one bolted bracket holding it in place about 1/2 way up , remove this bolt and grasp the now squeaky clean tube near the tranny and twist it back and forth as you push it up and out of the tranny ~

Wipe the entire tube clean and down inside the tranny's hole too , then press the new seal in until the lip is flush then twist the tube back and forth until it pops into place , replace the support bolt and you're good to go .

The filler tube is delicate so DO NOT BEND IT ! you can twist it 'round in the hole as you remove or install it but that's it ~ using pliers, hammers or pry bars will almost always ruin it .

Have fun .
Old 01-12-2014, 06:10 AM   #1956
InitialBoss

Quote:
Well ;

If you look underneath the truck right where the ATF fill tube fits onto the tranny , it'll often be wet ~ if so , the tube seal is prolly gone bad , it's very easy to replace , there's two types of tube seals and you'll want the " Top Hat " style one ~ look it up on NAPA's OnLine catalog then order it in (about $6) and be sure to clean al the accumulated ATF & grime away far around that side of the tranny BEFORE you replace the seal ! a tiny bit of crud falling into the tranny can kill it .

The tube has one bolted bracket holding it in place about 1/2 way up , remove this bolt and grasp the now squeaky clean tube near the tranny and twist it back and forth as you push it up and out of the tranny ~

Wipe the entire tube clean and down inside the tranny's hole too , then press the new seal in until the lip is flush then twist the tube back and forth until it pops into place , replace the support bolt and you're good to go .

The filler tube is delicate so DO NOT BEND IT ! you can twist it 'round in the hole as you remove or install it but that's it ~ using pliers, hammers or pry bars will almost always ruin it .

Have fun .
Cool, thanks Nate, I'll check it out tomorrow, if I get a chance. I love learning how to do these fixes but when they come right after another it gets tedious. Ha ha. I'm looking forward to the time when I have all my gauges working, my lights work, and my seat is all fixed or replaced. Then I can just cruise!
Old 01-12-2014, 12:27 PM   #1957
Dano69c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by InitialBoss View Post
Cool, thanks Nate, I'll check it out tomorrow, if I get a chance. I love learning how to do these fixes but when they come right after another it gets tedious. Ha ha. I'm looking forward to the time when I have all my gauges working, my lights work, and my seat is all fixed or replaced. Then I can just cruise!
It takes a lot of little fix ups to get an older vehicle in running order. Just do one thing at a time and just stick with it.
There will be a day, after you yourself get everything done correctly, when you will be able to cruise with a big smile on your face and yes then you can consider yourself a mechanic.

Dano

It ain't yours, if you didn't build it!
Old 01-13-2014, 11:26 PM   #1958
69Rumbler

Any one over do an A 5.3 swag and can let me know how much it should cost ... Any shops at round do it ?
Thanks
Old 01-13-2014, 11:37 PM   #1959
hopped up

I think we should do a c10 meet on jan 24. Delmo is having a GPRS party at old crow speed shop. I think it would be cool if we showed up as well. I'll be there for sure it's from 5pm-??? There's always lots of cool cars at the parties at the shop, I'm sure he won't mind if we show up. It's an open invite so I hope Delmo doesn't mind me posting this up. I'm sure it's cool. Oh yeah and they have a taco guy!!! That's reason enough to go lol. And see some if his top secret projects as well
Old 01-14-2014, 01:00 AM   #1960
VWNate1

Thumbs up Re: SoCal checkin' in

Just where is this ? .

Why don't you clear it with them and then post a time to show up Friday 1/24 .
Old 01-14-2014, 02:08 AM   #1961
hopped up

Quote:
Just where is this ? .

Why don't you clear it with them and then post a time to show up Friday 1/24 .
Delmo said come one come all! I'll get a flyer a post it up with all the info. Last party was really fun , so I'm looking forward to it. Lots of out of towners will be in for the grand national roadster show. So plenty of cars you don't normally see
Old 01-14-2014, 02:15 AM   #1962
VWNate1

Thank you ~

I'm dependent on others for transportation right now so as soon as you have the flyer I'll pass it along to my ride .
Old 01-14-2014, 09:51 PM   #1963
ItsRandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopped up View Post
I think we should do a c10 meet on jan 24. Delmo is having a GPRS party at old crow speed shop. I think it would be cool if we showed up as well. I'll be there for sure it's from 5pm-??? There's always lots of cool cars at the parties at the shop, I'm sure he won't mind if we show up. It's an open invite so I hope Delmo doesn't mind me posting this up. I'm sure it's cool. Oh yeah and they have a taco guy!!! That's reason enough to go lol. And see some if his top secret projects as well
GPRS? Old Crow Speed Shop? Do tell!
Old 01-14-2014, 10:02 PM   #1964
Lee H

I think he's referring to the Grand National Roadster Show at the Fairplex January 24-26th.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Old 01-14-2014, 10:19 PM   #1965
VWNate1

I've never gone to The Roadster Show , maybe I oughta .

Either way I'd lke to make the next C/10 meet & greet .

I think I've found the body shop who ill be re painting my '69 C/10 .
Old 01-14-2014, 10:24 PM   #1966
InitialBoss

So where is this place exactly? I'm thinking I may be able to make it if all is going well with my truck. Depends on the time of day the meet is. If it's late in the evening, then it's a no go. I don't have working interior console lights.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:44 PM   #1967
hopped up

Gnrs pre party on fri nite. 5 pm
Old 01-15-2014, 01:08 AM   #1968
hopped up

Heres the flyer for the party
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-15-2014, 03:06 PM   #1969
69Rumbler

Still looking for a shop that will do a 5.3 swap . any info will help thanks !
Old 01-15-2014, 05:04 PM   #1970
osaltyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Rumbler View Post
Still looking for a shop that will do a 5.3 swap . any info will help thanks !
I had a hard time finding someone reputable and reasonable, so I did it myself. Not too hard.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:08 PM   #1971
Dano69c10

Hmmm, that's my wedding anniversary day. Wonder if the wife would consider going to Del's on that day...?

It ain't yours, if you didn't build it!
Old 01-15-2014, 09:20 PM   #1972
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Of course it would be a Friday night when I have to work. Dang!
Old 01-16-2014, 12:12 AM   #1973
hopped up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano69c10 View Post
Hmmm, that's my wedding anniversary day. Wonder if the wife would consider going to Del's on that day...?
Just tell her you have a surprise for your anniversary. And take her to Delmos. No I'm not married lol.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:14 AM   #1974
hopped up

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDOG View Post
Of course it would be a Friday night when I have to work. Dang!
That sux vdog, I'll eat a few extra tacos god you. And a few cold ones lol
Old 01-17-2014, 02:12 PM   #1975
InitialBoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by osaltyone View Post
I had a hard time finding someone reputable and reasonable, so I did it myself. Not too hard.
Hey Osaltyone,

Have you had issues with smog? Or did you have a hard time sourcing the engine?