The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2018, 04:48 PM   #1
Trackbar

Questions on Body Dip or Dustless Blasting Cab.

What is everyone point of view on having my 70 C-10 cab dipped to remove rust or to have it Dustless Blasted? Anyone have these done or any other ideas?
Trackbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 05:09 PM   #2
darrellyates

Re: Questions on Body Dip or Dustless Blasting Cab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackbar View Post
What is everyone point of view on having my 70 C-10 cab dipped to remove rust or to have it Dustless Blasted? Anyone have these done or any other ideas?
I strongly advise against dipping parts for rust removal. There are those that will argue, I'm sure, but I've seen many a dipped car which later rusted badly where metal seems are, around spot welds, and hidden folds and areas. Just very hard to get all the chemical out of those areas, or so I've been told.

I've always had very good luck with sand or media. I don't particularly like soda, as it's good for paint, not for rust. My preference is for plastic media for general paint and removal, with some "grit" (sand or oxide) for actual rust removal. That way you also don't overheat panels and warp sheet metal. I've seen sand in water, which is very good as well, but tends to be a little more expensive, plus it will flash soon after.

Experts will have differing opinions, just my opinion/experience. Remember, this comment is worth exactly what you are paying for it.

Good Luck!
darrellyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 05:53 PM   #3
russgoodman

Re: Questions on Body Dip or Dustless Blasting Cab.

I had my cab dustless blasted. I highly recommend it. There was still a little bit of crushed glass hanging out in low access places like on the backside of the dash. Other than that, it was great. Didn't warp the metal, knocked off all rust, bondo, dirt, etc.
Attached Images

2008 GMC Sierra Denali - 6.2L AWD - my daily
2011 Ford Flex Limited - Ecoboost AWD - wife's daily
1987 Buick Regal Turbo T - 63K miles - Strip/Street car
1965 Ford Mustang Coupe - 289, c4, 53K miles
russgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote