The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-20-2015, 11:21 PM   #26
Coupeguy2001

Re: my 57' build

I had another thought.....
Why don't you build a tribute to your dad, and finish it like he would have.
You can do all the body work, get the engine running, and work with the things that you can find that would hint at what he was doing.
Looks like he was making a true American hot rod, headers, cool engine, original sheet metal, and super clean runner

my build thread is called "my 57 revitalized"
I finished it about 3 1/2 years ago, and it comes up on the forum "projects and builds" occasionally when i update my progress. I was lucky, kind of like you.
my truck sat in a lot close to the street, and i drove by it for years before I stopped and ended up buying it.
Someone plowed into the front left corner, and it was wrecked. Nobody wanted it.
These trucks are so simply designed, that it was easy to get it fixed and on the road again. Luckily, the rest of the truck wasn't too bad.

Here's a pic of it earlier this year.
The thing about white, is even when it's dusty and dirty, it still looks clean. (also, it's so bright in the sun, you can't look at it up close and see it's imperfections too easy) It's far from perfect, just a really fun thing to drive. It's a daily driver, but well cared for.
I never drive it in the rain, old Chevys rust.

Last edited by Coupeguy2001; 11-21-2015 at 12:03 AM.
Coupeguy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 08:06 PM   #27
Anderson 57'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupeguy2001 View Post
I had another thought.....
Why don't you build a tribute to your dad, and finish it like he would have.
You can do all the body work, get the engine running, and work with the things that you can find that would hint at what he was doing.
Looks like he was making a true American hot rod, headers, cool engine, original sheet metal, and super clean runner

my build thread is called "my 57 revitalized"
I finished it about 3 1/2 years ago, and it comes up on the forum "projects and builds" occasionally when i update my progress. I was lucky, kind of like you.
my truck sat in a lot close to the street, and i drove by it for years before I stopped and ended up buying it.
Someone plowed into the front left corner, and it was wrecked. Nobody wanted it.
These trucks are so simply designed, that it was easy to get it fixed and on the road again. Luckily, the rest of the truck wasn't too bad.

Here's a pic of it earlier this year.
The thing about white, is even when it's dusty and dirty, it still looks clean. (also, it's so bright in the sun, you can't look at it up close and see it's imperfections too easy) It's far from perfect, just a really fun thing to drive. It's a daily driver, but well cared for.
I never drive it in the rain, old Chevys rust.

a may do that... thanks for the idea! by the way your truck is nice!
Anderson 57' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 10:20 PM   #28
Coupeguy2001

thx
Coupeguy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 03:33 AM   #29
Nut Case

Hey young dude. You've got moxxie. Check the 327 and heads over very carefully, some 327's of that vintage came with "fuelie" heads (they breath really well) which could be very valuable. I'm not a 327 expert by any means, just herd some talk. But check it out. FYI I'm a BBC guy get one of those and I'm your guy. Chip Foose said it best: make subtle mods so that when people see it they scratch their heads and know something has been done, but don't know what was modified. Good luck Nut Case
Old 11-23-2015, 09:25 AM   #30
Chance48

Welcome Anderson. I was 14 when I got my first old truck to play with. It was an old work truck(1970 f100) my dad had had setting in the yard full of junk. I, by myself started foolin with it and got it running, then I approached him bout giving it to me, haha. To my surprise he did, although to this day I hear about how he coulda sold it for 500.00 bucks, lol.

At any rate, I like your drive and confidence. You can build this, and I personally also would like to see you keep the 327. Those Chevy 6 cylinders where not the best engines, and I promise you'll regret using it. By the time you hit 16, regardless of how level headed you may be, your gonna want that 327 in there for a few reasons, lol.

Good luck and have fun.

Chance

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686729
Chance48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 07:48 PM   #31
Anderson 57'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut Case View Post
Hey young dude. You've got moxxie. Check the 327 and heads over very carefully, some 327's of that vintage came with "fuelie" heads (they breath really well) which could be very valuable. I'm not a 327 expert by any means, just herd some talk. But check it out. FYI I'm a BBC guy get one of those and I'm your guy. Chip Foose said it best: make subtle mods so that when people see it they scratch their heads and know something has been done, but don't know what was modified. Good luck Nut Case
Thanks lol! Anywhere I can get info on the heads?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance48 View Post
Welcome Anderson. I was 14 when I got my first old truck to play with. It was an old work truck(1970 f100) my dad had had setting in the yard full of junk. I, by myself started foolin with it and got it running, then I approached him bout giving it to me, haha. To my surprise he did, although to this day I hear about how he coulda sold it for 500.00 bucks, lol.

At any rate, I like your drive and confidence. You can build this, and I personally also would like to see you keep the 327. Those Chevy 6 cylinders where not the best engines, and I promise you'll regret using it. By the time you hit 16, regardless of how level headed you may be, your gonna want that 327 in there for a few reasons, lol.

Good luck and have fun.

Chance
Thanks chance! Must be fun to hear about that 500 bucks all the time haha
I'm gonna end up finding a second truck that's decent and run with that 327 in it... This truck isn't exact.y gonna be driven everyday and I run our 6 cylinder farm truck quite a bit and I'm ok with it... But I'm definatly still giving it thought!
Old 12-10-2015, 07:51 PM   #32
Anderson 57'

Here's an update! Just bought a steering column out of a bigger truck.. Hopefully can do something with that! I've heard of a way that you can remove the column with a pin? Is there a way to take a column from one box and add it to another without cutting? Because I would like to use my stock box but my dad cut the column off so if not may have to go with cutting...
Old 12-10-2015, 10:49 PM   #33
gotmotors

Reading this thread put a big smile on my face because at age 13 you're getting into a great hobby. Good for you! You are going to be the envy of neighborhood when you get that thing on the road!

Your 327 heads have numbers cast into them under the valve covers that will identify them.
Check here:
http://www.nastyz28.com/sbchevy/sbch.php

Steering columns are pressed into the steering box and I think you're right about the pin. There's a thread here somewhere where a guy was able to tear it apart and reassemble it. It'll help you a lot if you can find it - lots of detail.

I'm in the "keep the 327" camp.

My 55 build
http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97044
gotmotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:22 AM   #34
Anderson 57'

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmotors View Post
Reading this thread put a big smile on my face because at age 13 you're getting into a great hobby. Good for you! You are going to be the envy of neighborhood when you get that thing on the road!

Your 327 heads have numbers cast into them under the valve covers that will identify them.
Check here:
http://www.nastyz28.com/sbchevy/sbch.php

Steering columns are pressed into the steering box and I think you're right about the pin. There's a thread here somewhere where a guy was able to tear it apart and reassemble it. It'll help you a lot if you can find it - lots of detail.

I'm in the "keep the 327" camp.
Thanks and I would hope so! As far as the headers I'm gonna check afters school and I'll try to find that forum for the column..
Lots of people seem to be joining the 327 camp
Old 12-14-2015, 10:17 PM   #35
Anderson 57'

Update! I managed to get ahold of a steering column out of a big truck and I'll just swap the guts. I also got a decent steering wheel to rebuild. I got my heater the rest of the way out! And my gas tank out to find about a half gallon of 30 year old gas! There's still a long way to go though.i also found the original color! Marine blue?. But now my main goal is to to find the gas pedal to carb linkage for a 6 cylinder. Does any body have one or know of a place to get one? sorry about the pics being sideways they are from my phone!
Attached Images

Old 12-15-2015, 09:25 AM   #36
Kim57

Looks like it's in real good shape.
Kim
Old 12-18-2015, 01:25 AM   #37
Anderson 57'

I scanned the pics I had of the truck when my grandparents bought it from my great aunt that had it in Tennessee... on the back of one pic it says "1982 Kodak" ... that was the last year the truck would be driven a long distance for a while! apparently my aunt used the truck as her mud truck and drove it through the fields with it loaded with dogs she said six would be in the bed and one in the cab with her! that whole side of my family is in the south exept for my grandma who moved her in, I believe the 60s... they even did the engine swap for the 327 in the driveway before they left and carried the old 6 back in the bed of the truck! and my dad got a nickname because of that truck on the way back from Tennessee but that's a long story for another time! and remember that was the 80s so the hair kinda dissapeared anyway here are the pics... and once again marine blue?
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2015, 09:31 AM   #38
Kim57

Nice old pics.
Kim
Old 12-22-2015, 06:45 PM   #39
Anderson 57'

no pics but I did manage to go and wire wheel my transmission down and give it a coat of gloss... I cant seem to find a rebuild kit for my ebrake setup though. any ideas? and other than the pics of the transmission tomorrow I wont post probably (you never know) till after the holidays so every one have a good Christmas!
Old 12-23-2015, 06:24 PM   #40
Anderson 57'

I lied! update!!
I decided that it was time to wire wheel my steering box down and paint it, along with my transmission and shifter knob... and, my new/ old seeing wheel came in... I also found a replacement for my rusty but trusty old horn button, it came with the wheel... jb weld and some paint over the holidays for that!
Attached Images

Old 12-23-2015, 06:30 PM   #41
Anderson 57'

even painted some of the tractor
Attached Images

Old 12-24-2015, 02:54 AM   #42
Nut Case

Oh to have young unscared hands, my dad always said "Why is youth wasted on the young". Just pokin fun, when I was your age I thought I'd never live past 50, boy was I wrong, protect yourself as best you can, once your damaged it hurts all the time. My dad may he rest in piece, said "Once your past 50 if you have any ach's or pains, you best make friends with them cause they never go away" OK time for this ole bugger to shut the f*5K up. youngin enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. Extra Nutty Case
Old 12-24-2015, 11:32 AM   #43
Kim57

Looking good.
Kim
Old 12-31-2015, 06:51 PM   #44
Anderson 57'

pics later, but ive gotten quite a bit of small stuff done! I have rebuilt my steering wheel wich took 8 days, because of Christmas but it got done today and I also got my new transmission cover painted so that means no more rust... for now and finnaly got the cab mounts undone from the frame! I also got info on the 235, they will be starting it tomarrow and it will be completely rebuilt within a few weeks! that means paint for that too! soon we will be taking the cab and bed off, seeing if the 327 runs... if it doesn't it goes to the motor stand. if it does it goes to the motor stand too! then everythings off to sandblasting! oh I also painted my second horn button today, wich took three tries because of bad taping and someones fingernail... (not mine)
Old 01-01-2016, 12:02 AM   #45
Anderson 57'

also happy new year to everyone!! oly one more hour and I hope to read all your builds next year!
Old 06-15-2017, 08:57 PM   #46
Anderson 57'

its been a while since ive been on here, and i havent made much progress other than getting the cab undone from the frame. its gonna be interesting using a cherry picker on gravel and grass! the 235 inline is almost finished being rebuilt due to a few difficulties and i still cant find a good fender. over all though its been untouched for the last few months. ill get some updated pictures soon
Old 06-17-2017, 02:24 PM   #47
Anderson 57'

I finally got the 327 out of my truck and onto the stand yesterday with the help of our 4020 loader . it was seized and I managed to get it freed up this morning! honed the cylinders and scraped the rust away and it turns freely now. the 235 should be back from the shop soon and it will be ready to go in. the 327 will go into storage for now and be ready for another project down the line. I might be moving the truck to my sisters barn and set up a shop for myself there eventually too (its got a concrete floor). tomorrow im going out to the junkyard to get all the throttle linkage and clutch linkage parts
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2017, 01:13 PM   #48
Anderson 57'

got my old seat frame for the 57 I got 2 years ago out and painted. i'm thinking about doing a temporary upholstering job with an lmc kit myself and was wondering if any of you guys have any tips? also may be getting an aftermarket fender for the right side from raybuck. they claim to meet or exeed factory metal thickness. anybody ever use their panels?
Attached Images

Old 06-20-2017, 08:46 PM   #49
Anderson 57'

no major progress on the truck itself, but i did manage to get it on some concrete to work on it! loaded it up and hauled it to our farm and put it in a part of the shop thats only used during the winter months so ive got a while to get it up and running on its own power again. its amazing how just cleaning your windshield and wiping off "vintage dust" can make her look a thousand times better! finally did some research on my 327 block, not 100% sure but i believe it is out of a 1966 corvette with a 2 bolt main. the front serial code right below the head says FI020HCH. as you can see, i have some great lighting to work in!
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2017, 10:03 PM   #50
Anderson 57'

Finished up the front brakes today, installed new wheel cylinders,shoes and rubber lines. also installed the shocks that ive had sitting around waiting to be put on! got the bed centered and cleaned out to cut the steel plate out of the bed floor tomorrow. debating on pulling bed and cab now to clean up the frame or get it running and then tear it back apart... vinyl seat cover will be here next week too!
Attached Images