The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-18-2017, 08:53 AM   #1
bds32

Fuel gauge problem after other work

Hello, I am new to the forum after lurking for a couple of months. Hopefully this is in the right section. I had a problem pop up this weekend and looking for some advice. I bought a 1970 K10 a couple of months ago and yesterday I installed a new turn signal switch. The switch works perfectly. I then replaced an aftermarket window washer pump with the same style pump. All worked well.

I then noticed that my fuel gauge no longer works and is sitting on E. It worked prior to me starting the repairs. Everything else on the dash seems to work fine. I checked back under the dash to see if I could locate any obvious problems but did not. Everything looks and feels connected. I researched this topic and found many posts on this site with a lot of good info. However, I can't help but thinking that somehow, the work I did yesterday affected the gauge.

Pursuant to the advice of other folks here, I pulled the tan wire from the fuse panel and the needle went to the three o'clock position. To eliminate a possible problem with the tan wire from the sending unit to the fuse panel, I then ran a new wire from the sending unit to the fuse panel. It goes back to E. Remove, goes back to the 3 o'clock position.

Ideas?
bds32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 11:50 AM   #2
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Fuel gauge problem after other work

Quote:
Originally Posted by bds32 View Post
Hello, I am new to the forum after lurking for a couple of months. Hopefully this is in the right section. I had a problem pop up this weekend and looking for some advice. I bought a 1970 K10 a couple of months ago and yesterday I installed a new turn signal switch. The switch works perfectly. I then replaced an aftermarket window washer pump with the same style pump. All worked well.

I then noticed that my fuel gauge no longer works and is sitting on E. It worked prior to me starting the repairs. Everything else on the dash seems to work fine. I checked back under the dash to see if I could locate any obvious problems but did not. Everything looks and feels connected. I researched this topic and found many posts on this site with a lot of good info. However, I can't help but thinking that somehow, the work I did yesterday affected the gauge.

Pursuant to the advice of other folks here, I pulled the tan wire from the fuse panel and the needle went to the three o'clock position. To eliminate a possible problem with the tan wire from the sending unit to the fuse panel, I then ran a new wire from the sending unit to the fuse panel. It goes back to E. Remove, goes back to the 3 o'clock position.

Ideas?

Well you are in the right place.

You have all but eliminated everything but the sending unit as the problem. It appears that the unit has one of three problems
1. It is grounded through the sending unit directly, without going through the variable resistor.
2. The float arm is stuck down or the float is full of gas.
3. There is no gas in the tank.

You will have to pull the sending unit out of the tank and attach the tan wire,
ground the sending unit flange, Then move the arm up and down to check the gauge with the key on. The gauge should follow the float arm from empty to full as you move the arm up and down.

If you need advice on pulling the sender just post back.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 11:56 AM   #3
bds32

Re: Fuel gauge problem after other work

Thank you sir. Will do.
bds32 is offline   Reply With Quote