The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2017, 11:36 PM   #1
WyattTX

Is this drivetrain a good idea or a bad one?

It has been a while since I have lurked around on this forum, but I got a good deal on some parts, and was thinking of throwing something together. What I am thinking of working with is a detroit 10 bolt front axle, a np208 transfercase, a th350 transmission, a 305 engine, and whatever rear axle I decide on. I would install this in an '85 1/2 ton Suburban. If this is a bad set up let me know please, I wont get offended. It is strictly coincidence I even have these parts. I was not really looking for them, or planning to build anything. But I caught an offer I could not refuse. I appreciate the help. Thanks.
WyattTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 12:49 AM   #2
kwmech

Re: Is this drivetrain a good idea or a bad one?

Pretty much all stock parts, should be a decent set-up. The 305 may struggle a bit with the heavy 'burb body though
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:18 AM   #3
andrewmp6

If you just want a driver i think your good to go but if its a daily driver id look more in to a 700r4 tho.How do you want to use it and what size tires you want to run ?
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:56 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

That's all good stuff that came in hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of GM 4wds and ran them for hundreds of thousands of miles through all types of uses. We all know what it takes to break what or what it takes to not be breaking it. There's a full spectrum of drivetrain options for all the uses and this stuff is best suited for what "most" people use their 4wds for.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:16 PM   #5
WyattTX

Thanks I will give such projects heavier consideration.
WyattTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:05 PM   #6
abig84

i ran half ton axles under a suburban with 38s for years. expect it to chew up bearings and ball joints yearly if you run that big of tires. this truck even seen offroad quite frequently but never really anything hardcore so i knew to ease into the throttle and ease out as i didnt want to snap them axles.

i always hear a locker in the front will screw up your steering as its always goign to want to pullstraight when trying to turn in 4x4.
abig84 is offline   Reply With Quote