The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-24-2016, 01:45 PM   #1
vintovka

54 seat cover quesion hog rings or clips?

Rapidly running out of $$ on the rebuild and down to DIY upholstery. The covers are a bit short and cannot use the suppilied hog rings to attached to original locations. This is standard bench seat with the lowrer frome shaped like a "C" all arounf the bottom. Hog rings cannot be fully clamped onto the "C" . Anyone use "j" clamps? If so what size?
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 07:31 PM   #2
vintovka

Re: 54 seat cover quesion hog rings or clips?

Let me be a liitle more clear. The little hog rings do not grap properly and may rip the cover up. I think if I can find some steel 1/2" wide by 3/8 diameter "c" clips i can attach the cover to the inside of the bottom frame. Problem now is where to get Am as rural as heck and can be 400 mile round trip to big city.
Old 12-24-2016, 10:00 PM   #3
mr48chev

We came through Brookings on the way back from Trog in October. I remember laughing at the huge "Need Weed?" sign on the edge of town.

Can't help much on the question but did you maybe use some extra thick padding under the seat cover?

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 10:49 PM   #4
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

I only remember clips on the front and side edges and hog rings on the back edge.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 11:59 PM   #5
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
We came through Brookings on the way back from Trog in October. I remember laughing at the huge "Need Weed?" sign on the edge of town.

Can't help much on the question but did you maybe use some extra thick padding under the seat cover?

The signs have gotten bigger and soon CA will go dopey as well. Sadly the insurance companies will have no qualms about raising car and homeowners premiums accordingly.

The padding is actually much less than required by instructions that came with the kit. As reported by others. the covers were made way too short by accident or to cheap out. No amount of heating and stretching is helping will help. In process of paying shop to add 3" all the way around.
Old 12-25-2016, 08:27 AM   #6
Skidder865

I was going to suggest the same, add a couple inches of material to the cover. That would only take a couple of minutes for someone that has a sewing machine. Should be a cheap fix. I used hog rings, but I made my own cover. Good Luck
Skidder865 is offline   Reply With Quote