The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-04-2023, 04:45 PM   #1
nsiti

Suburban steps

Hi, I'm looking for suggestions for steps for my 5" lifted Suburban, so that passengers and I can get in and out more easily.

I've seen some neat power steps from AMP research and Rockslide Engineering, but they don't have models designed for our trucks and don't comment on modifications for liability reasons. Has anyone customized one of their models?

If a power step is not possible, what fixed steps would you recommend?

Thanks in advance,
Nick
nsiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 09:09 PM   #2
kev2809
low n' slo

Re: Suburban steps

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=718917

I read this a while back.. well skimmed through it. it was for the blazers but I don't think the amps one worked out

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
,.,,,.,.,,.,|_O _______ O_]
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 05:21 PM   #3
nsiti

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev2809 View Post
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=718917

I read this a while back.. well skimmed through it. it was for the blazers but I don't think the amps one worked out
Hi, I read that thread, thanks for linking. It wasn't conclusive. The issue seemed to be where and how to attach the boards to the underside. Apparently there are several AMP kits that attach differently. I don't mind fabbing a custom bracket, but haven't figured out which kit would be the best starting point. A call to AMP wasn't helpful.
Old 04-09-2023, 12:58 AM   #4
Richard

Does the Suburban have torsion boxes like the Blazer or just the rockers like the trucks?
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 07:37 AM   #5
Bigdav160

No torque boxes.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 10:06 AM   #6
kev2809
low n' slo

i wonder if something from a square body would work? but imo, if there was something off the shelf, someone on here would have had it already im guessing. might have to browse through a bunch of different models until you see something that looks like it would be easy to mount

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
,.,,,.,.,,.,|_O _______ O_]
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 03:51 PM   #7
Richard

This is the one I purchased to install on my 72 K10. https://www.amp-research.com/images/...MPIS-75104.pdf If the inner rocker is the same as the truck it should work. Provides about an 8" drop from the rocker where you step in. The thing I like is that this one fully retracts behind pinch weld at bottom of rocker. Install should be pretty easy, the top of mounting flange needs to be trimmed down to bolt holes. Drill through pinch weld for lower holes and install riv-nuts in inner rocker for upper bolts. I also have some 4 degree shims to go inbetween the inner rocker and linkage assembly as that surface is slightly angled. Hope to have install pics in my thread in the near future.
Old 04-09-2023, 09:25 PM   #8
68panelman

I have yet to find any manufacturers for steps on any 67-72, at least those not attached to sheet metal floor or worse, rocker panel, which was would never do. I always wanted to build off the frame, but then 20" of canterlevering steel would have to be pretty beefy, 3/8 minimum
68panelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 11:33 PM   #9
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68panelman View Post
I have yet to find any manufacturers for steps on any 67-72, at least those not attached to sheet metal floor or worse, rocker panel, which was would never do. I always wanted to build off the frame, but then 20" of canterlevering steel would have to be pretty beefy, 3/8 minimum
Wondering why you feel attaching to the rocker panel is bad? Structurally one of the strongest parts of the cab. All the newer trucks attach the factory steps in that way. Infact the Amp steps for these later trucks just use factory mounting points on the inner rocker. Work at a body shop and I have replaced several rockers on newer trucks as well as seeing the inside of the ones on my 72 while I was doing repair on them. Nothing more inside the newer rockers than on my 72. Modified Amp steps for my 94 as none were specifically made for it. Attached to rockers, used for over 5 years now and no signs of deterioration.

Wanted to add that even the fixed drop Hickey steps from the 67-72 era also attached to the inner rocker. Do not see a problem myself.

Last edited by Richard; 04-10-2023 at 12:33 AM.
Old 04-10-2023, 07:25 AM   #10
nsiti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
This is the one I purchased to install on my 72 K10. https://www.amp-research.com/images/...MPIS-75104.pdf If the inner rocker is the same as the truck it should work. Provides about an 8" drop from the rocker where you step in. The thing I like is that this one fully retracts behind pinch weld at bottom of rocker. Install should be pretty easy, the top of mounting flange needs to be trimmed down to bolt holes. Drill through pinch weld for lower holes and install riv-nuts in inner rocker for upper bolts. I also have some 4 degree shims to go inbetween the inner rocker and linkage assembly as that surface is slightly angled. Hope to have install pics in my thread in the near future.
Thanks for your comments Richard. Sounds promising. I'll keep an eye out for those install photos in your build thread (which is impressive from what I skimmed).

Nick
Old 04-10-2023, 08:19 AM   #11
68panelman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Wondering why you feel attaching to the rocker panel is bad? Structurally one of the strongest parts of the cab. All the newer trucks attach the factory steps in that way. Infact the Amp steps for these later trucks just use factory mounting points on the inner rocker. Work at a body shop and I have replaced several rockers on newer trucks as well as seeing the inside of the ones on my 72 while I was doing repair on them. Nothing more inside the newer rockers than on my 72. Modified Amp steps for my 94 as none were specifically made for it. Attached to rockers, used for over 5 years now and no signs of deterioration.

Wanted to add that even the fixed drop Hickey steps from the 67-72 era also attached to the inner rocker. Do not see a problem myself.
Metal fatigue would my issue, especially with my 6'2" 230 lb rear standing on it. it's just a decision for myself.
68panelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 01:49 AM   #12
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68panelman View Post
Metal fatigue would my issue, especially with my 6'2" 230 lb rear standing on it. it's just a decision for myself.
Understand completely, we all have our preferences. At 5'10" was at your weight in the past and the steps still held up. With hard work I am holding steady at 45lbs less now. If wanting steps, hope you find a solution you are satisfied with.
Old 04-11-2023, 01:53 AM   #13
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsiti View Post
Thanks for your comments Richard. Sounds promising. I'll keep an eye out for those install photos in your build thread (which is impressive from what I skimmed).Nick
Thanks for the kind comment. Will try to let you know when I do the install.
Old 03-04-2024, 12:08 AM   #14
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsiti View Post
Thanks for your comments Richard. Sounds promising. I'll keep an eye out for those install photos in your build thread (which is impressive from what I skimmed).

Nick
This thread popped into my head today. Almost a year later but I finally installed the steps. Starts at post 275 in the build thread.