The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2015, 09:44 PM   #1
Bear28

Best th400?

Looking at ordering a new th400 from summit, jeggs or somewhere like that for my 86 chev k10 4x4 with a mild built 350. Was wondering if any one has any suggestions on the best manufacturer to go with or any kind of input would be great thanks
Bear28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:49 PM   #2
cableguy0

Re: Best th400?

A th400 even in stock form is stout. So long as its assembled correctly you will be fine. However I wouldn't mail order a transmission. I would find a local builder that stands behind their stuff.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:38 AM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

If you change your trans to a TH400, you will most likely need a different transfer case also. Since you said your truck has a mild 350, I would just stay with the trans that is currently in your truck and just have it rebuilt.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 02:38 AM   #4
Bear28

I have a th400 in it now just wanted another to put in while I rebuild the one I already have then use it for another project
Old 03-27-2015, 08:28 AM   #5
t-tung

Check out Phoenix Transmissions out of Weatherford, Texas. http://www.phoenixtrans.com/catalog/pt400sx/
This is there best 400. Handles up to 850HP for $1800. They have a few models under it too. Hard to beat and they have great customer service. They really took care of my brother while he was stationed in Germany so they have my business from here on out. I have a 350 I'm going to have them build if my 4l60e ever craps out.
t-tung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:45 AM   #6
bbcmudtruck

I second the idea of finding a local builder. Call around and find a shop local to you and see if they have any good 400 cores for a rebuild. It will be alot cheaper than a mail order and just as reliable. Most likely, one of the shops will have a core, if they don't, check on craigslist.
bbcmudtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:43 PM   #7
cableguy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-tung View Post
Check out Phoenix Transmissions out of Weatherford, Texas. http://www.phoenixtrans.com/catalog/pt400sx/
This is there best 400. Handles up to 850HP for $1800. They have a few models under it too. Hard to beat and they have great customer service. They really took care of my brother while he was stationed in Germany so they have my business from here on out. I have a 350 I'm going to have them build if my 4l60e ever craps out.
If im not mistaken they have been sued and lost as well changed names multiple times for ripping people off. Just googled real quick and it is them. I wouldn't send them a dollar.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:56 PM   #8
PhilaTruck
Right on the line, baby!

Third for staying local. I would never mail order (again).

Click and scroll down for site vendors!

Subscribe here!
PhilaTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 03:35 PM   #9
Bear28

Thanks looks like I'll probably stay local if I can find a decent shop at a decent price around here
Old 03-27-2015, 03:40 PM   #10
cableguy0

Also just noticed your in Canada. Shipping costs would probably be stupid because that transmission will be truck freight only. If you have a local cruise in or car show coming up just ask around. Guys will always give the name of a shop they were happy with but more importantly are even quicker to tell you who not to use.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:20 PM   #11
t-tung

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
If im not mistaken they have been sued and lost as well changed names multiple times for ripping people off. Just googled real quick and it is them. I wouldn't send them a dollar.
Damn! Well that sucks to hear. They still took care of my brother. May have to drive up and see the operation face to face before I spend a done with them
Old 03-28-2015, 08:09 AM   #12
donut

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-tung View Post
Damn! Well that sucks to hear. They still took care of my brother. May have to drive up and see the operation face to face before I spend a done with them

If a phone book can't help you out, http://jakesperformance.com/

I'm kinda like duct tape- no real purpose, but handy to have around.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:55 PM   #13
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Are you sure? Phoenix Trans in Weatherford TX. has been around for years, I have rebuilt/refreshed several units they built first that were way out of warranty, Never found a builder error or anything suspicious.

Even though they are a competitor of mine....They do good work from what I have seen.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 10:01 PM   #14
t-tung

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinebarger View Post
Are you sure? Phoenix Trans in Weatherford TX. has been around for years, I have rebuilt/refreshed several units they built first that were way out of warranty, Never found a builder error or anything suspicious.

Even though they are a competitor of mine....They do good work from what I have seen.
Very interested to hear for sure. Haven't been able to dig any deeper. All I know is they bent over backwards for my brother. Even fixed his tranny that was a few months out of warranty for free. All he had to do was ship it to them. They even paid for return shipping.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:57 PM   #15
cableguy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinebarger View Post

I may be wrong on the company. May be similar name from somewhere else. I hate to throw someone under the bus that didn't deserve it. Just trying to watch out for others. Also if im wrong I apologize to those guys. After spending some time searching again I think I am wrong. Disregard my previous post. My error. Right name but wrong location. Thanks for paying attention.