The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-25-2018, 11:39 AM   #1
slammed57

need help from MP&C or any other experienced fabricator

Hey all, I am working on my 57 truck here, I have all done all the fabrication, panel alignment, and gaps so far. BUT I am now on the hood, I have it all squared up where it needs to be. as you can see in the pictures below, where the hood meets the cab, the hood has more of a crown in it than the hood. I have a done a revere hood flip on it so the original hood hinge and springs are not being used putting tension in that area. I also included a pic of where the hood brace is in relation to the hood. What will be the best way to fix this issue, Any advise will be well appreciated

Old 05-25-2018, 01:19 PM   #2
MP&C

Re: need help from MP&C or any other experienced fabricator

How is the crown in the center of the hood?
Old 05-25-2018, 02:07 PM   #3
slammed57

just under a 1/4". this pic is the hood looking back to the cab . the part on the cab is the louvered vent cover that i smoothed out by adding filler pieces earlier . but the picture gives you a basic idea of the crown in center of the hood

Last edited by slammed57; 05-25-2018 at 02:47 PM.
slammed57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 05:51 PM   #4
MP&C

Looks like the hood has settled in the center, which in effect will push the sides outward. I would start by trying to correct the center crown and see if that brings those radius corners back inward..
Old 05-25-2018, 05:51 PM   #5
MARTINSR

First off, I can't stress this enough, you align ALL of the parts together, not do everything and then try to adjust the hood to fit them. I know that is what should be able to be done, but in reality it's just not like that.

You often have to give up a perfect fit somewhere to get a really bad fit "acceptable" somewhere else. Now, it looks like you have a repro fender, that can change everything. You often have to do a country western line dance to get all this stuff working.

It looks to me like the fender is too low and both the fender and the hood could go up. But the photos are a bit funky too.

Check out this "Basics of Basics" on taking photos and looking at something like this. http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/basi...it-499546.html

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:19 PM   #6
slammed57

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP&C View Post
Looks like the hood has settled in the center, which in effect will push the sides outward. I would start by trying to correct the center crown and see if that brings those radius corners back inward..
That’s what would probably work thanks Mr. Robert your advice is always appreciated
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-25-2018, 06:30 PM   #7
slammed57

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
First off, I can't stress this enough, you align ALL of the parts together, not do everything and then try to adjust the hood to fit them. I know that is what should be able to be done, but in reality it's just not like that.

You often have to give up a perfect fit somewhere to get a really bad fit "acceptable" somewhere else. Now, it looks like you have a repro fender, that can change everything. You often have to do a country western line dance to get all this stuff working.

It looks to me like the fender is too low and both the fender and the hood could go up. But the photos are a bit funky too.

Check out this "Basics of Basics" on taking photos and looking at something like this. http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/basi...it-499546.html

Brian
Thanks Brain , I agree with you with everything you said. These aftermarket fenders have fought me all the way and looks to more to come. The fenders may look like they need to Go down but it’s the stamping when they made these aftermarket fenders. You actually have to cut out about 1/4 strip and bring the top of the fender down to where it’s a good fit to the hood. And still have to work the fender to get an even parallel gap.I would not go aftermarket fenders again in the future but thank you for you advice. I’ll let you all know how it turns out in a week or two
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-25-2018, 07:05 PM   #8
slammed57

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post

Brian
Thanks Brain , I agree with you with everything you said. These aftermarket fenders have fought me all the way and looks to more to come. The fenders may look like they need to Go down but it’s the stamping when they made these aftermarket fenders. You actually have to cut out about 1/4 strip and bring the top of the fender down to where it’s a good fit to the hood. And still have to work the fender to get an even parallel gap.I would not go aftermarket fenders again in the future but thank you for you advice. I’ll let you all know how it turns out in a week or two
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-26-2018, 12:16 AM   #9
BIGglaSS

I had the same problem. Like MP&C said, I had to push the crown up in the center. As I recall, I had to unfold the back of the flange of the hood, and re-roll it to the shape of the cowl, then re-fold the flange. I also cut the cowl where it meets the fender, and pulled it up. Still not perfect, but close enough. It took a lot of time and patience. I also had to open the flange on the fender, and stretch out the radius to meet the shape of the door. Kind of like Brian said, take an average of the parts and meet in the middle.

BIGglaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:10 AM   #10
slammed57

Hey big glass good hearing from you. When you say “re roll the hood” are you referring rolling it on a English wheel? To get some of the crown back?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-26-2018, 11:10 AM   #11
BIGglaSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammed57 View Post
Hey big glass good hearing from you. When you say “re roll the hood” are you referring rolling it on a English wheel? To get some of the crown back?
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks, I haven't been on the other site in months, nor have I worked on the 57. I have too many irons in the fire, maybe get back to the 57 later this year.

No E-wheel. It is hard to describe. Start with the center of the hood, and work your way to the outside. With the hood on a stand, gently bend it over your knee to get the crown to match the cowl. When you get closer to the outside where it "water falls" down to the fender, (in this picture) roll it to a tighter radius over your knee. As you work your way over the "water fall", you will have to un-roll the radius so it meets back up with the fender. Basically, you are moving the "water fall" closer to the center of the hood. Clear as mud?
Old 05-26-2018, 12:00 PM   #12
MARTINSR

Good stuff, I was not clear on what was needed, your explanation Bigglass is right on the money.

Brian

Old 05-26-2018, 12:04 PM   #13
slammed57

Thanks big glass you explained it perfectly. I do appreciate it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-26-2018, 01:12 PM   #14
MARTINSR

I am thinking on that hood it would be a big help to put some kind of pressure from side to side at the bottom. In my case it would be a friction jack.

But something like a come-a-long would work too. Or even with one side up against a wall and a heavy object like a tool box on the other side with a block of wood down at the floor on both sides so the pressure is as far down on the hood as possible. A little pressure like that as you are pushing up on the center and out on the corners is going to help.

Brian

Old 05-27-2018, 06:50 PM   #15
MP&C

Ratchet strap around back of the hood??
Old 05-27-2018, 10:05 PM   #16
MARTINSR

Quote:
Ratchet strap around back of the hood??
Simply at the bottom to put pressure in from the sides as you pull up the top and shape the sides in.

Brian

Old 06-13-2018, 01:55 PM   #17
slammed57

well I fixed the issue and used a liitle bit of everyones ideas and came up with this and worked great , figured I post for anyone that can use this idea for a fix. I appologize for some of the pictures are side ways( I couldnt figue out how to rotate them) thanks again everyone for their help

here it is all aliened after

heres what i fabricated to help me reshape the hood brace a bit. it bolts to where the factory hinge would be,

after ,I placed a floor jack with a piece of 2x4 to prevent metal to metal contact and marring the hood brace , starting in the center and every 6" or so move out towards the passenger side . return to the center and then move out
toward the driver side

I measured before and after to prevent of over stretching and it also prevents of taking the hood on and of several times down to maybe 2-3 times. For my application it needed to be moved up about a 1/4" or so. at the ends where the hood ends meet the fenders , you can put them outwards by hand to match the cab cowl gaps

Last edited by slammed57; 06-13-2018 at 02:39 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:25 PM   #18
BIGglaSS

Excellent solution! Looks great!
Old 06-13-2018, 05:20 PM   #19
MP&C

Nice profile on that now, good work!
Old 06-13-2018, 05:40 PM   #20
slammed57

Quote:
Nice profile on that now, good work!
Thanks robert, I appreciate all your post , the time you take to share and advise you give.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:43 PM   #21
slammed57

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGglaSS View Post
Excellent solution! Looks great!
thanks for your help big glass , looking forward to see more work get done on that truck of yours
Old 06-15-2018, 09:55 AM   #22
MARTINSR

BRILLIANT!

Brian