The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-13-2005, 09:35 PM   #1
Mint68

Help With Exhaust

I am planning to tear the original single exhaust of my blazer in the very near future, but i'm not sure what to put back on. LMC has dual systems for $180.00, but for one its LMC, and two its for a longbed. Does anyone sell quality dual systems for a fair or some what fair price? I have talked to local shops and they seem to want an arm and a leg for the work.

Any ideas? What has anyone done for their exhaust?
Any help would be great!
Mint68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 09:49 PM   #2
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Hmmm, Shop Around, Here My Buddy Does Em For $250 With Flows,
Right Now He's Running A Special $225, The Deals Are Out There

*P.S. - Fill Out Your Location Under "USER CP" (Where You At )
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 11:25 PM   #3
badpeanut
Not a bad nut after all..

I don't know if the pickup system would clear the Blazer gas tank???

I'm just finishing installing Hooker Headers 16527HKR, a 2-1/4" mandrel bent regular steel exhaust system on my '71 Blazer 4x4:

http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLin...ExhstSyst.html

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...7HKR&x=16&y=13

I'm very happy with it except it was not made to work with the factory T-case skid plate and extra crossmember. I had to cut the front pipes in half and add a 12" straight extension to get things to clear.

My only other irritation is that it has oddball 2-1/2" header collector flanges which I had to cut off since my headers have 3" collector flanges.

I believe they also have 2-1/2" systems.
badpeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 03:35 PM   #4
pound41

I have the LMC system on both my blazers and for the price you cannot touch them. sound good with the mufflers. The straight out the back goes around the tank. The factory is out the sides. I have one of each. Did the experiment to see if one had less fumes coming back into the cab. You just mount it up and cut the extra out of the one pipe that is the long bed difference. I know a lot of people have bad experiences with LMC and they are expensive on most things. But people wanted 3-400 bucks to make one here So I got the first one 6 yrs ago and its still on
pound41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 06:24 PM   #5
71Blazer
Goodbye Darlin'

How do you get headers to seal tight? I used high quality reusable copper gaskets but they are the brand X headers that came with the truck. Will RTV work in this case?
Old 01-18-2005, 06:48 PM   #6
vtblazer

I agree with LUV, look around in your area.
I have a local guy that will install/build a complete system for 200 bucks but that's for pipe and pipe work only, customer supplies whatever muffler's they want to run.
Still a good solid deal.
That was the price he gave me for doing my suburban not a blazer.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 08:00 PM   #7
Mint68

Thanks for all the help! Now here is another off beat question. A friend of mine claims dynomax makes mufflers that flow alot better than flowmasters and sound just as good. I've heard his before, and they dont sound to bad, but i guess it just comes down to price. I wouldn't mind trying something just a little bit different, and performance really isn't a huge deal for my tired 350. Any ideas?
Old 01-18-2005, 08:05 PM   #8
Mint68

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Blazer
How do you get headers to seal tight? I used high quality reusable copper gaskets but they are the brand X headers that came with the truck. Will RTV work in this case?
I have never sprang for the high tech copper gaskets, a friend uses them and his headers always seem to be leaking. I just use the cheap paper gaskets and copper RTV. The only problem i have had is due to the header bolts backing out. When i keep all the bolts tight i have no leaking problems.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:45 PM   #9
JimKshortstep4x4

Smile

We like the dual exhaust system that LMC sells. The pipes are 2 1/4" galvanized and they last a long time. We have them on (6) vehicles, (Blazer, Burb, both short and long 4x4's, both short and long 2wd). We use heavy duty clamps and different hangers than what comes with the kit. The fit is good and they are easy to install. I don't think the directions are very good though!

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 04:28 AM   #10
Hoods69BadBowTie
Chevys Kick A$$

I had a dual 2 1/2" exhaust on my '81 Blazer and it was pretty much shot to Shi* but I spent about 40$ on Thrush Turbo GlassPacks which are pretty dam loud and flow pretty good too. I took it into the muffler shop and they cut the old pipe off almost to the middle of the tranny and then charged me like 170$ to bend it out and install it. They ran dual 2 1/2" exhaust all the way to the back of the tires and then put it half way between the stock location and going straight out under the back bumper, so not to much exhaust would be able to get in the back window.
I would go with FlowMasters if you have the money, there not too much more money then the dynomax mufflers though. The dynomax mufflers are nice but not quite as much as the FlowMasters in my opinion.
-Peace
-'86 K5 Blazer Silverado 6.2 4" lift 35"s
-'95 Ext. Cab Shorty 4" Tuff Country rolling 35" M/T's
-'83 Monte Carlo T-Tops. 126,500 Original Miles
-LATER
I would rather push a Chevy then drive a ford!!

Last edited by Hoods69BadBowTie; 01-19-2005 at 04:31 AM.
Hoods69BadBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 04:14 PM   #11
pound41

I have the LMC exhausts on both my blazers. 1st is 8 yrs old 2nd just did it. The straight out the back goes right around the tank just like it would on a spare tire on a pick up. you just lay it out and cut the extra off the one pipe on each side. The mufflers sound good. If you can install your own. You cannot toch that price for clamps/hangers/mufflers you get it all. The kit is not made by LMC they just sell it. I have one stock exit and one out the back
Old 01-19-2005, 05:55 PM   #12
71jimmy

For you guys with the LMC setup, did you have it welded up or just clamped? Are there any reasons for having them welded up?

"If life was fair you'd be able to afford one of each and a garage large enough to house them all."
71jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 06:09 PM   #13
pound41

I just clamped mine but it was tight seams so if you wanted to weld it up you would have no problems. I never have welded any of mine because the passenger side dual goes through the cross member and close to the transfer case. just wanted the flexibilty to remove or move if needed
Old 01-19-2005, 06:35 PM   #14
Big J
Its lookin' like a Blazer!

Heres a trick to seal your headers or exhaust manifolds. Take grease and spread it all over the flange and boltem' up. Start the engine and let it run. When the grease burns it carbons up and seals the manifold. Try it at your own risk

My Build
Big J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 12:26 PM   #15
BigDave
I poop on Ford!

If you're not worried about your ears, try this.

Single chamber Flowmasters with race dumps welded in.

With the cab on I have the blocking plates installed. They terminate on either side behind the rears. With the plates off, I can wake up the world!
Attached Images

Last edited by BigDave; 01-20-2005 at 12:30 PM.
BigDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 05:35 PM   #16
Hoods69BadBowTie
Chevys Kick A$$

Hey BigDave you got any more pics and or info on how this was set up? Did you do it your self or did you take it to the muffler shop?
Thanx for any info, -Peace
-'86 K5 Blazer Silverado 6.2 4" lift 35"s
-'95 Ext. Cab Shorty 4" Tuff Country rolling 35" M/T's
-'83 Monte Carlo T-Tops. 126,500 Original Miles
-LATER
I would rather push a Chevy then drive a ford!!
Hoods69BadBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 07:59 PM   #17
mister.freeze

Big Dave-
The dumps are AFTER the mufflers?!?

I've got Hedman headers, 2-chamber Flows, and they exit in FRONT of the back tires. It's a good setup, pretty loud, but ALWAYS leaks ath the flanges. I'd be willing to cut out the flows and trade them for an X-pipe that will clear the drive train. I think I'll go with Magnaflows. I've been toying with the idea of 2 inline (shorty) mufflers in series on each side and routing the ends up into the wheel wells for a bit of a hidden snorkel effect.
Old 01-21-2005, 12:43 PM   #18
BigDave
I poop on Ford!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoods69BadBowTie
Hey BigDave you got any more pics and or info on how this was set up? Did you do it your self or did you take it to the muffler shop?
Thanx for any info, -Peace
I don't have any other pics but I would be glad to take some more if you need different angles or want to see the routing of the side exhaust. Those are Flowmaster single chamber race mufflers and Flowtech cut-outs. The muffler shop I go to had the Flowmasters in stock and I ordered the cut-outs online. They cut the old mufflers and a section of tail pipe so they could fit the combo then welded everything back in.

Please note. I live in an area where law enforcement is really not very aggressive on loud pipes. Single chamber mufflers are very loud even when connected to a full exhaust. When they are uncapped they are almost as loud as open headers. Beware if the cops in your area are agressive.
Old 01-21-2005, 12:51 PM   #19
BigDave
I poop on Ford!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister.freeze
Big Dave-
The dumps are AFTER the mufflers?!?

I've got Hedman headers, 2-chamber Flows, and they exit in FRONT of the back tires. It's a good setup, pretty loud, but ALWAYS leaks ath the flanges. I'd be willing to cut out the flows and trade them for an X-pipe that will clear the drive train. I think I'll go with Magnaflows. I've been toying with the idea of 2 inline (shorty) mufflers in series on each side and routing the ends up into the wheel wells for a bit of a hidden snorkel effect.
Yes, your eyes do not deceive you. The dumps were installed after the mufflers. Here's why. I love the way an exahuast note resonates underneath the bed of a truck. In my opinion it really makes the tone deeper. It also magnifies the way an engine sounds under hard acceleration and deceleration. However, if I'm running with the cab on for any length of time, you can forget being able to hear. That sound is trapped under the cab and it bounces around in there forever. You can't even hear yourself think.

Also, laws vary from state to state. In Texas you cannot have an exhaust terminate under the passenger compartment of any vehicle. Under the bed is legal. Under a covered bed is not.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:43 PM   #20
mister.freeze

Please tell me more about the laws in TX. The Fox is in Houston, though registered in CA for reasons like that.