The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2017, 09:12 AM   #1
TheRedBarron

New guy with old truck '62 C20

Hey guys,
While cruising down backroads last holiday week I came across this fleetside C20 nearby. It's in good shape and I got a great deal. To keep a long story short, it's in great condition with almost zero rust. The 2500 new style Silverado wheels and tires make it handle like absolute crap. The plan is ECE drop spindles, and drop coils. I have to research, but Bassett racing wheels are manufactured right down the road, so I was thinking a pair of the Inertia advantage wheels in the white.

Here's some pics, and I look forward to getting to know you guys.
https://m.imgur.com/a/qvsD3

Last edited by TheRedBarron; 07-08-2017 at 09:22 AM.
TheRedBarron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 10:15 AM   #2
padresag

Re: New guy with old truck '62 C20

then there has to be a reason as to why it handles that way
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 01:16 PM   #3
jocko

Welcome. One thing about these old trucks is that they DO handle like crap - but it's not because of a new set of modern wheels and tires. Suspension resto or upgrade will help ya some. Show us some pics, don't see a 62 C20 every day.

EDIT: Duh, just saw your link, thanks for sharing - truck looks real nice, congrats on a good find.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 01:46 PM   #4
TheRedBarron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Welcome. One thing about these old trucks is that they DO handle like crap - but it's not because of a new set of modern wheels and tires. Suspension resto or upgrade will help ya some. Show us some pics, don't see a 62 C20 every day.

EDIT: Duh, just saw your link, thanks for sharing - truck looks real nice, congrats on a good find.
Thanks. Question- so I see guys doing a 4/6 drop, but I'm unsure how these guys are getting that extra 2"without notching the frame.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:53 PM   #5
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

It is better if you do the C notch, especially on LB. Mine is a 4/6 drop , but I also have no bump stops installed (they fell out and never got replaced). I very seldom have an issue, but if I hall anything heavy or hit a hard bump the axle will bottom out against the frame. As they say down here, I am fix'n to put in a c-notch.......someday

Your truck looks good. As mentioned, I also don't think the wheels and tires are causing your ride issues, at least just not them. What do you mean by crappy?

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:57 PM   #6
TheRedBarron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
It is better if you do the C notch, especially on LB. Mine is a 4/6 drop , but I also have no bump stops installed (they fell out and never got replaced). I very seldom have an issue, but if I hall anything heavy or hit a hard bump the axle will bottom out against the frame. As they say down here, I am fix'n to put in a c-notch.......someday

Your truck looks good. As mentioned, I also don't think the wheels and tires are causing your ride issues, at least just not them. What do you mean by crappy?
The wheel/tire combo is way too high, and wide. The coils also make it feel like it's standing on a medicine ball. I'll be honest, I'll prolly go the spindle and coil route fisrt, then later down the road notch the frame. I've tried looking on here, but it seems like almost any C10 rear end that uses coils will bolt right up.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:01 PM   #7
padresag

does it still have the torsion bar front or has it been upgraded?
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:06 PM   #8
TheRedBarron

Quote:
Originally Posted by padresag View Post
does it still have the torsion bar front or has it been upgraded?
ron
It's a torsion bar. :/
Old 07-08-2017, 10:45 PM   #9
63burban
Chevy addict

Bring it to the Hartford auto museum August 26th for the all GM truck show.
63burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 11:23 PM   #10
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Welcome to the forum

That is a nice looking truck. Does ECE offer spindles that converts a '60-'62 C20 to 5 lug without changing the entire front suspension?

A '63-'72 truck 12 bolt will not simply bolt up to the '60-'62 trailing arms. They are farther apart than the '63+ trailing arms.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 12:57 AM   #11
2bo.c10

Hey there! Another C20! I have a 65 C20. Check out truckandcarshop.com . they have a coil and shock kit that you can customize the heights for the front and back. Thats what I'll be doing for mine before I notch the frame.
2bo.c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 11:06 AM   #12
TheRedBarron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Welcome to the forum

That is a nice looking truck. Does ECE offer spindles that converts a '60-'62 C20 to 5 lug without changing the entire front suspension?

A '63-'72 truck 12 bolt will not simply bolt up to the '60-'62 trailing arms. They are farther apart than the '63+ trailing arms.
They offer 2/12" drop spindles which is a straight conversion, outside of changing it to 5lug. I thought I had coils in the front, but I'll just loosen the torsion bars and replace with drop shocks. Ill still do drop coils in the back. The better question is do I want to totally replace the rear end or attempt to re-axle the Dana 44 and hook up C10 drums and hubs.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:21 PM   #13
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

A C20 is going to have either a Eaton HO52 or a Dana 60 rear differential, both of which are full floaters. The only one of the two that I would consider converting to a semi floater with 5 lug axles would be the Dana 60. That is going to require cutting off the existing housing ends and welding on new aftermarket ends. You will likely end up with a narrowed differential. Then you will need new aftermarket axles. You will end up with a LOT more money in doing that to a Dana 60 than if you just find a good truck 12 bolt and weld on new trailing arm mounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedBarron View Post
They offer 2/12" drop spindles which is a straight conversion, outside of changing it to 5lug. I thought I had coils in the front, but I'll just loosen the torsion bars and replace with drop shocks. Ill still do drop coils in the back. The better question is do I want to totally replace the rear end or attempt to re-axle the Dana 44 and hook up C10 drums and hubs.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:57 AM   #14
TheRedBarron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
A C20 is going to have either a Eaton HO52 or a Dana 60 rear differential, both of which are full floaters. The only one of the two that I would consider converting to a semi floater with 5 lug axles would be the Dana 60. That is going to require cutting off the existing housing ends and welding on new aftermarket ends. You will likely end up with a narrowed differential. Then you will need new aftermarket axles. You will end up with a LOT more money in doing that to a Dana 60 than if you just find a good truck 12 bolt and weld on new trailing arm mounts.
Thanks for this info. If I remember correctly on here the 60-62 trucks have a different trailing arm than the others, correct?
Old 07-10-2017, 11:12 PM   #15
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The '60-'72 trailing arms are all basically the same. The one difference is that the C20's had an extra piece riveted to the bottom side for part of the length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedBarron View Post
Thanks for this info. If I remember correctly on here the 60-62 trucks have a different trailing arm than the others, correct?