The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2018, 08:01 PM   #1
GSOUTHERN
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: ALVA, FLORIDA
Posts: 91
87 dash pad

What is the best new replacement dash pad going right now? I know there are some older threads on this, just wanted to get some current opinions. Thanks
GSOUTHERN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:32 PM   #2
tucsonjwt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 2,990
Re: 87 dash pad

Do not get a cap to cover your existing dash pad, that is all I know.

Also, in the desert southwest, any dash pad made of plastic will likely not work out very well. Everything made of plastic distorts in the 115+ degree heat out here (115 degrees translates to about 160 degrees inside a closed vehicle.)
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:43 PM   #3
bennylava
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 191
Re: 87 dash pad

From what I can tell, we don't really have one yet that approaches OEM very well. Someone please correct me if I'm missing something here, cause I'll probably buy it if you know of a good one. I think sometime in the future we'll probably get one that is close to stock, but it doesn't look like we have one now. Right now you've got to pay through the nose for NOS to get something that really looks good.
bennylava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 04:41 AM   #4
TKCR
Senior Member
 
TKCR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,528
Re: 87 dash pad

Cheyenne Parts

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=736613
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:06 AM   #5
RotaryRocketeer
Registered User
 
RotaryRocketeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 189
Re: 87 dash pad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennylava View Post
From what I can tell, we don't really have one yet that approaches OEM very well. Someone please correct me if I'm missing something here, cause I'll probably buy it if you know of a good one. I think sometime in the future we'll probably get one that is close to stock, but it doesn't look like we have one now. Right now you've got to pay through the nose for NOS to get something that really looks good.
I have a Cheyenne Pickup Parts dash pad and it is perfect. So nice in fact, that it gets compliments from everyone who peeks inside my pickup. Get their dash, be happy, never look back.
RotaryRocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 01:21 PM   #6
Myers horsepower
Registered User
 
Myers horsepower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Springfield, OR
Posts: 30
Re: 87 dash pad

does anyone know how these dash pads compare to the ones Classic Parts sale?

https://www.classicparts.com/1973-78...nfo/30%2D817R/
__________________
1990 chevy Crewcab K30 454tbi/th400/np205twin stick/14bltFF,eaton posi/D60.
1972 CST K5 350/th350/12blt,eaton posi/D44
1970 K10 SWB
1970 K20 350/th350
Myers horsepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 02:12 PM   #7
bennylava
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 191
Re: 87 dash pad

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotaryRocketeer View Post
I have a Cheyenne Pickup Parts dash pad and it is perfect. So nice in fact, that it gets compliments from everyone who peeks inside my pickup. Get their dash, be happy, never look back.
Do you know if that is the same dash that is linked in the post above this one?

Also, could you possibly post up a pic of your dash from cheyenne? I can tell if I would like it by looking at the pics. If it doesn't have any of the problems my aftermarket dash does, then yes I will probably buy it.
bennylava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 02:30 PM   #8
RotaryRocketeer
Registered User
 
RotaryRocketeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 189
Re: 87 dash pad

Here are the couple of photos I have on my phone. The little gap you see above the right corner of the bezel, is due to the bezel and not the dash. He really does make a high quality piece, and told me that they're made by hand, in-house. I can try to get some more later on. Out of town today and the truck is at home.
Attached Images
  
RotaryRocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 02:43 PM   #9
bennylava
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 191
Re: 87 dash pad

Looks pretty good. I would like to see a pic or two from the passenger side, but that one does look somewhat better than the one from classic truck parts. Mainly in the texture. The stock dash was somewhat... smoother than the texture of the one from classic. Since I'm dealing with an 87 though, its a bit hard to tell if it would pan out as well with the different dash shape of my truck.

I was trying to figure out if it was in fact the same dash, that 2 different companies are selling. Of course my dash is more flat on top from the factory, and the one from classic just isn't as flat as OEM was. Its got some small lumps and waves that you can't get out. They are there in every pic that someone posts up who has the dash. And they are noticeable, its not something minor that you really wouldn't care about. Not if you're wanting to get as close to a factory look as you can. To me it looks like the dash is already old, and has sat in the sun or the heat for too long.
bennylava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 02:48 PM   #10
TKCR
Senior Member
 
TKCR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,528
Re: 87 dash pad

bennylava, check this thread out. Post #17 has pics of this dash installed. Ultrahd4me has used several of these dashes

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...=Cheyenne+dash
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 02:56 PM   #11
TKCR
Senior Member
 
TKCR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,528
Re: 87 dash pad

Here's another thread about dash pads:

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...=Cheyenne+dash
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 05:01 PM   #12
obijuan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: cibolo tx
Posts: 1,007
Re: 87 dash pad

After having the Cheyenne pickup brand I wanted to try the dashes direct. I prefer the dashes direct with the steel core. It also has a more pronounced corner on the passenger side. Cheyenne is a softer edge and softer and squishier overall. It did not match my blue. It was too dark. The dashes direct though didnt fit right out of the box like the cheyenne did. It required trimming in many areas to fit like I expect from a 400 dollar dash. It's the better of the two all things being considered.

Both of them need more structure in the center behind the speaker opening nearest the glass.
Attached Images
 
__________________
1985 k5 396/nv4500/203/205 d60/d70 4.56 42 sx2
1991 V3500 350/4l80/205 60/14 4.10 35 toyos.
obijuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:20 PM   #13
rainamy
Active Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Rockdale Co. GA
Posts: 156
Re: 87 dash pad

Brothers had a sale on the steel reinforced vinyl skinned dash pads. With the percent off and the free shipping I think at the time I paid about $229 out the door, including no sales tax.

It was for a 77, but they sell 81-up too.

Might be worth waiting for a sale to grab...
rainamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:00 AM   #14
RotaryRocketeer
Registered User
 
RotaryRocketeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 189
Re: 87 dash pad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennylava View Post
Looks pretty good. I would like to see a pic or two from the passenger side, but that one does look somewhat better than the one from classic truck parts. Mainly in the texture. The stock dash was somewhat... smoother than the texture of the one from classic. Since I'm dealing with an 87 though, its a bit hard to tell if it would pan out as well with the different dash shape of my truck.

I was trying to figure out if it was in fact the same dash, that 2 different companies are selling. Of course my dash is more flat on top from the factory, and the one from classic just isn't as flat as OEM was. Its got some small lumps and waves that you can't get out. They are there in every pic that someone posts up who has the dash. And they are noticeable, its not something minor that you really wouldn't care about. Not if you're wanting to get as close to a factory look as you can. To me it looks like the dash is already old, and has sat in the sun or the heat for too long.
This is the specific dash for my year model (1976.) Cheyenne sells a dash specific to the later years as well, so the one you would purchase would be slightly different in shape and size. All of their dashes are made in the factory style, vinyl and foam over a steel core. I'll post up some passenger side pics tomorrow.
RotaryRocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 05:03 AM   #15
TKCR
Senior Member
 
TKCR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,528
Re: 87 dash pad

Dash pad years:

73-80 and then 81-91
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:05 AM   #16
gmachinz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Des Moines, IA.
Posts: 4,026
Re: 87 dash pad

Wait tho...isnt the VIN in a different spot for 79/80....or something to that effect?
__________________
Specializing in building electrical harnesses and cooling systems

HARNESSWORX

"An army may march great distances without distress, if it marches through country where the enemy is not."

-Sun Tzu: The Art of War
gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:19 AM   #17
RotaryRocketeer
Registered User
 
RotaryRocketeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 189
Re: 87 dash pad

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmachinz View Post
Wait tho...isnt the VIN in a different spot for 79/80....or something to that effect?
I'm not sure if it's those exact years, but yes. There are a couple odd years in there that have the VIN "window" cut out on the older style pad. Cheyenne will do this for you as well. They ask the year when you order. Best just to call them and leave a message. Very pleasant people to deal with.
RotaryRocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:31 AM   #18
Ol Blue K20
Senior Member
 
Ol Blue K20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Fairfield, CA
Posts: 8,344
Re: 87 dash pad

Heres some pics of my Cheyenne dash I installed in my 89 V3500. I'm very impressed.
Attached Images
   
__________________
"Some Days Chickens And Some Days Feathers"

Dale
Ol Blue K20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 03:48 PM   #19
bennylava
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 191
Re: 87 dash pad

Quote:
Originally Posted by obijuan View Post
Both of them need more structure in the center behind the speaker opening nearest the glass.
This is my main problem with all of these dashes. As you can see in Ol Blue's post above this one, and in some of the other pics in this thread, there is a problem there. My factory dash may have had cracks, but it did not have this problem. Its quite visible. They need to get that problem solved if they're going to be charging this much for these dashes.

You can press down on it with your hands, and see that you can make it go into the correct position and basically look factory all the way across the dash. But I don't know of any way to make it stay that way. To me they all look like a factory dash that is having a problem with warping.
bennylava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:48 AM   #20
rainamy
Active Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Rockdale Co. GA
Posts: 156
Re: 87 dash pad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennylava View Post
This is my main problem with all of these dashes. As you can see in Ol Blue's post above this one, and in some of the other pics in this thread, there is a problem there. My factory dash may have had cracks, but it did not have this problem. Its quite visible. They need to get that problem solved if they're going to be charging this much for these dashes.

You can press down on it with your hands, and see that you can make it go into the correct position and basically look factory all the way across the dash. But I don't know of any way to make it stay that way. To me they all look like a factory dash that is having a problem with warping.
Understandable point.

To me, I'm just happy the effort is being made to bring product to market. Not aware of any 87 f150 complete replacement dashes out there.

From time to time I remind myself it's a truck, and build quality at gm from 1973-1987 was "it's good enough" much of the time. When I want 2016 quality of fit and finish I buy.... a 2016. Otherwise, I get the best I can, and trust that market forces will dictate an upwards move in quality - when someone wants to steal market share, they'll improve the product.

One last point: production components (like the inner cores) need to be purchased in batch runs from the subcontracted manufacturer. You need to 1) use those up and 2) recoup your initial molding costs before going back and creating a new mold for new cores ($$$$$) that would attempt to address factors like a small sag before reworking things from the start again. It is still a business, and as such, needs to make money.
rainamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 03:53 PM   #21
bennylava
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 191
Re: 87 dash pad

There may be some way to fix the issue. Mine is plastic underneath, but perhaps the steel ones could be taken off and slightly bent a few times in that area.
bennylava is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com