The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2011, 01:50 PM   #1
89Suburban
Registered User
 
89Suburban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: King of Prussia, Pa
Posts: 11
Rear Tail Pan Replacement

Anybody here ever see a write up for this project? Replacing the rear tail pan crossmember on the Suburban?

I need to do mine this winter and was looking for others that have done it. I seen one write up a year or two ago but I can't remember where I saw it.
__________________
1999 Bass Tracker Pro Team 175 - 40 HP Merc
1989 GMC Suburban V-1500/5.7 L TBI/700r4/NP241C/GM 10 Bolts
89Suburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:11 AM   #2
Urban Suburban
Registered User
 
Urban Suburban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Halton Hills, Ontario
Posts: 38
Re: Rear Tail Pan Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89Suburban View Post
Anybody here ever see a write up for this project? Replacing the rear tail pan crossmember on the Suburban?

I need to do mine this winter and was looking for others that have done it. I seen one write up a year or two ago but I can't remember where I saw it.
I have just started this project myself and just realized that it looks like the body may have to be jacked??? hope not.
__________________
1990 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 - 6.2L Diesel
1997 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 - 6.5L Diesel
-Work in Progress-
Urban Suburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
89Suburban
Registered User
 
89Suburban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: King of Prussia, Pa
Posts: 11
Re: Rear Tail Pan Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Suburban View Post
I have just started this project myself and just realized that it looks like the body may have to be jacked??? hope not.
If you notch out a quarter panel under one of the tail lights you can get it in there without lifting the body off the frame. I have this done, let me get the pics and post them.
__________________
1999 Bass Tracker Pro Team 175 - 40 HP Merc
1989 GMC Suburban V-1500/5.7 L TBI/700r4/NP241C/GM 10 Bolts
89Suburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:38 PM   #4
89Suburban
Registered User
 
89Suburban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: King of Prussia, Pa
Posts: 11
Re: Rear Tail Pan Replacement

This kicked my butt, but I am very happy with the results, truck is a lot more solid now. This product fit perfectly, had all necessary threaded holes, even had holes for the body wiring harness clips to pop into.

Took a lot of cutting and grinding, but I am over the hump, and can pic away at the small finish work as I please. I sprayed a lot of the Rustoleum Rust Reformer all over everywhere, even the back side of the bumper.

Took me about 4 or 5 hours of actual replacement work. Doing all the prep work before hand, like getting fasteners loosened and getting the body mount bolts replaced before hand made a huge difference.

You can see in the comparison pics of the old and new parts that 75 percent of the original support channel is completely missing.


Enjoy the pics.




















































































image hosting
__________________
1999 Bass Tracker Pro Team 175 - 40 HP Merc
1989 GMC Suburban V-1500/5.7 L TBI/700r4/NP241C/GM 10 Bolts
89Suburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:51 PM   #5
mlj427
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mechanicsville, Maryland
Posts: 3
Re: Rear Tail Pan Replacement

Does any body know if they make panels to replace the rust where the ends of this part go ( inside of the quarter panel mine are rusted also). Great pictures by the way they showed me alot.
Thanks
Mike
mlj427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:36 PM   #6
chewiebarker
Registered User
 
chewiebarker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Boxford, MA
Posts: 364
Re: Rear Tail Pan Replacement

Great pics. Helps me see what needs to get pulled and what doesn't. Need to do this on my 71. Unfortunately it does not appear that anyone makes a repop for 67-72 subbies. Thanks for posting!
__________________
1971 K20 Suburban
2012 LS1500 4WD Suburban
2003 Honda Accord LX V6 (don't tell anyone)

MY 'BUILD' THREAD: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=618915
chewiebarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:45 AM   #7
valyidol
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Moscow
Posts: 3
Re: Rear Tail Pan Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89Suburban View Post
This kicked my butt, but I am very happy with the results, truck is a lot more solid now. This product fit perfectly, had all necessary threaded holes, even had holes for the body wiring harness clips to pop into.

Took a lot of cutting and grinding, but I am over the hump, and can pic away at the small finish work as I please. I sprayed a lot of the Rustoleum Rust Reformer all over everywhere, even the back side of the bumper.

Took me about 4 or 5 hours of actual replacement work. Doing all the prep work before hand, like getting fasteners loosened and getting the body mount bolts replaced before hand made a huge difference.

You can see in the comparison pics of the old and new parts that 75 percent of the original support channel is completely missing.


image hosting
Great work! How did you repair this panel?
Attached Images
 
valyidol is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com