The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2015, 03:41 PM   #1
rs74
Registered User
 
rs74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,751
Anybody order a headliner from Rockauto?

I am putting together a list of parts I am ordering and saw that they sell Acme headliners. I know nothing about that brand or quality. Selling them for $150 which is only $25 less than I can get it done locally. Just curious.
__________________
Roy
85 Short Bed Silverado- Work in progress. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=564818
1993 RCSB stepper
1991 Z71 Short Bed
2007.5 Duramax
rs74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 06:53 PM   #2
Chevy3+3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Winfield KS
Posts: 489
Re: Anybody order a headliner from Rockauto?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs74 View Post
I am putting together a list of parts I am ordering and saw that they sell Acme headliners. I know nothing about that brand or quality. Selling them for $150 which is only $25 less than I can get it done locally. Just curious.
Just a thought but have you ever done one yourself? I did my single cab k20_years ago and it wasn't difficult at all and I bet I had no more than $35-40 in it. Hancock Fabrics sells headliner material so I just bought what I needed and used 3M spray adhesive. Take the old fabric off the headliner board and then spray the board down good. Start laying the fabric down at one end and massage over the contours into place. After its stuck trim off the extra around the edges. Mine looked like a professional did it when I was finished.
__________________
88' Chevy V30 3+3 4x4 Dually 454 TBI/NV4500/NP205
Chevy3+3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:09 PM   #3
cfan10
Registered User
 
cfan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 814
Re: Anybody order a headliner from Rockauto?

^yep did mine in my 84 from Hancock too used black which sorta looked navy. Came out nice still up since 2008, also mine is attached to my roof since I didn't have a headliner in it. Going to do a nice faux suede in my burb.
__________________
Rest In Peace:Mikhail {Mickey Rooney} Alpha 2/5/13 Omega 7/22/14 10:28AM I love you tremendously and outragiously Superpuppi Thai Ridgeback...The most intelligent dog known to me.
Don't mess with my truck, my momma or my money...not necessarily in that order.
Stand for something or fall for anything.
[LIST][*]'98 Bourbon St. Brawl 2010
cfan10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 12:54 AM   #4
TKCR
Senior Member
 
TKCR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,528
Re: Anybody order a headliner from Rockauto?

I recovered mine as well, probably got $40 in material. Got it from:
http://www.yourautotrim.com/auothead.html
Attached Images
 
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 01:03 AM   #5
TKCR
Senior Member
 
TKCR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,528
Re: Anybody order a headliner from Rockauto?

I also did a friends Honda Civic and it really isn't hard at all. I can't seem to get the before photo to upload, but it was all shredded and falling off the headliner board
Attached Images
 
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 10:29 AM   #6
rs74
Registered User
 
rs74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,751
Re: Anybody order a headliner from Rockauto?

What are you using to get the old dried out foam off? Mine has pretty much turned to powder so every time you touch it then it just falls like powder. I could get the majority off but I am sure there would still be some that has some adhesion to the backer board.
__________________
Roy
85 Short Bed Silverado- Work in progress. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=564818
1993 RCSB stepper
1991 Z71 Short Bed
2007.5 Duramax
rs74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 10:34 AM   #7
67swb72klb
Registered User
 
67swb72klb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: livingston co.mi
Posts: 2,050
Re: Anybody order a headliner from Rockauto?

I use a wire brush by hand and blow it off with compressed air.
You should be able to get the fabric at any craft store
__________________
California 65 GTO---Texas 64 burb 283 ---Oklahoma 67 CST SWB BBW wood bed 327 2004r---New Mexico 72 k10 350 350 auto---Georga 72 short step project
67swb72klb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 01:49 PM   #8
TKCR
Senior Member
 
TKCR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,528
Re: Anybody order a headliner from Rockauto?

I guess I got lucky, all the foam came off with the material. When I did the truck, it was actually peeling some of the fiberglass board off. I had to be careful with that. The Civic was the same way, there were small patches, I just used a wire brush to remove.

There are actually youtube videos on how to do the headliner. I watched a few myself before attempting my first one. I was quite pleased with the results and more pleased at the money I saved versus buying a new headliner.

This time I was able to get before and after pics of the Civic I did. I also recovered the visors & sunshade.
Attached Images
   
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 02:54 AM   #9
bilfman
Registered User
 
bilfman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Regina, SK, Canada
Posts: 622
Re: Anybody order a headliner from Rockauto?

Vacuum with brush attachment works great for foam. Ditto in the 3m spray adhesive and recover yourself. Did my crew dually for under $40. Looks great 3 years later. I just went to a local fabric shop and picked out something I liked. Easy mode is to lay fabric over the headliner ( after its out of course) fold half back, spray half , fold back that half and set. Repeat same for other half.
__________________
1979 Chevy Dually Crew 4X4 454, D60 Tru-trac, D70 Detroit Locker, 3.73, 4L80E/NP205

1971 GMC 3/4 Ton 4X4
bilfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 01:14 AM   #10
El Dorado Jim
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: El Dorado Ca
Posts: 2,835
Re: Anybody order a headliner from Rockauto?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy3+3 View Post
Just a thought but have you ever done one yourself? I did my single cab k20_years ago and it wasn't difficult at all and I bet I had no more than $35-40 in it. Hancock Fabrics sells headliner material so I just bought what I needed and used 3M spray adhesive. Take the old fabric off the headliner board and then spray the board down good. Start laying the fabric down at one end and massage over the contours into place. After its stuck trim off the extra around the edges. Mine looked like a professional did it when I was finished.
I did my own in my 73 suburban also. came out nice
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 12:20 PM   #11
70GMCer
Senior Member
 
70GMCer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Joppa, Maryland
Posts: 4,381
Re: Anybody order a headliner from Rockauto?

Thought I might give my 83 a try as the factory cardboard is in really nice shape.

Did any of you use the 1/4 inch foam backing on the cardboard before putting the fabric on?

Or, did you just glue the fabric to the factory cardboard?

Also, what type of fabric is everybody using?
Attached Images
 
70GMCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 12:34 PM   #12
TKCR
Senior Member
 
TKCR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,528
Re: Anybody order a headliner from Rockauto?

Your new headliner fabric will come with the foam already attached. Get the spray glue from there also

http://www.yourautotrim.com/auothead.html
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 12:37 PM   #13
TKCR
Senior Member
 
TKCR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,528
Re: Anybody order a headliner from Rockauto?

Here's another headliner I did for a friend, it was a Ford Truck
Attached Images
  
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 12:51 PM   #14
70GMCer
Senior Member
 
70GMCer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Joppa, Maryland
Posts: 4,381
Re: Anybody order a headliner from Rockauto?

Going to go to Johan Fabrics & see what they have. I am going to try & glue the foam backing to the board & then glue the fabric to the foam.

I plan on using 3M Hi-Strength Spray Adhesive. Will this work?
70GMCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 12:55 PM   #15
TKCR
Senior Member
 
TKCR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,528
Re: Anybody order a headliner from Rockauto?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70GMCer View Post
Going to go to Johan Fabrics & see what they have. I am going to try & glue the foam backing to the board & then glue the fabric to the foam.

I plan on using 3M Hi-Strength Spray Adhesive. Will this work?
Joann Fabrics does have headliner material with the foam already attached. I believe they only have one or two colors though, grey & tan. But by all means, get the foam backed material. You will save yourself a lot of trouble, unless your using a different material for your headliner.
http://www.joann.com/search?q=headliner%20material
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 01:15 PM   #16
70GMCer
Senior Member
 
70GMCer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Joppa, Maryland
Posts: 4,381
Re: Anybody order a headliner from Rockauto?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
Joann Fabrics does have headliner material with the foam already attached. I believe they only have one or two colors though, grey & tan. But by all means, get the foam backed material. You will save yourself a lot of trouble, unless your using a different material for your headliner.
http://www.joann.com/search?q=headliner%20material
Thanks. I know what to look for now....
70GMCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 02:02 PM   #17
70GMCer
Senior Member
 
70GMCer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Joppa, Maryland
Posts: 4,381
Re: Anybody order a headliner from Rockauto?

Well, I found this site and ordered the color I wanted. Navy Blue.

https://www.fabric.com/buy/0335099/f...headliner-navy

Seems like a good price & they have other headliner colors.

I'll post it as soon as I get it.

I would rather order online & get the color I want....
70GMCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 02:41 PM   #18
TKCR
Senior Member
 
TKCR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,528
Re: Anybody order a headliner from Rockauto?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70GMCer View Post
Well, I found this site and ordered the color I wanted. Navy Blue.

https://www.fabric.com/buy/0335099/f...headliner-navy

Seems like a good price & they have other headliner colors.

I'll post it as soon as I get it.

I would rather order online & get the color I want....
I hope your color will be what you want. I use this place, it's the same link that I posted in an earlier post:

https://www.yourautotrim.com/auothead.html

I paid the $5 for the sample card. A lot of the colors look different on the computer. Since I do headliners for people I know, I want them to be able to see the colors for themselves and pick the right shade.
When I did my own, I was amazed at how many different shades of Charcoal there are.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 03:10 PM   #19
70GMCer
Senior Member
 
70GMCer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Joppa, Maryland
Posts: 4,381
Re: Anybody order a headliner from Rockauto?

I'm really not that picky. Just so long as it's blue....
70GMCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 03:17 PM   #20
TKCR
Senior Member
 
TKCR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,528
Re: Anybody order a headliner from Rockauto?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70GMCer View Post
I'm really not that picky. Just so long as it's blue....
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 04:08 PM   #21
bennylava
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 191
Re: Anybody order a headliner from Rockauto?

Was thinking of doing my own as well. So yall are saying that even once you spray on the headliner glue, you can quickly peel it back up if there is a wrinkle? In the past I haven't had good luck with that on other stuff.
bennylava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 04:15 PM   #22
70GMCer
Senior Member
 
70GMCer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Joppa, Maryland
Posts: 4,381
Re: Anybody order a headliner from Rockauto?

I'm not a pro by any means. But, this looks simple.

Stay tune & I'll be posting pics as I install this. Hopefully this week as soon as the fabric comes in
70GMCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 04:21 PM   #23
TKCR
Senior Member
 
TKCR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,528
Re: Anybody order a headliner from Rockauto?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennylava View Post
Was thinking of doing my own as well. So yall are saying that even once you spray on the headliner glue, you can quickly peel it back up if there is a wrinkle? In the past I haven't had good luck with that on other stuff.
Trick is, not to have any wrinkles. That spray glue sticks FAST. Best way is to do it in small sections. In the video, when they are spraying the glue, @ the 3 minute mark. They did half at a time. I do about 1/3rd at a time.

https://youtu.be/-MmT72NDtTs
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 05:46 PM   #24
70GMCer
Senior Member
 
70GMCer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Joppa, Maryland
Posts: 4,381
Thumbs up Re: Anybody order a headliner from Rockauto?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
Trick is, not to have any wrinkles. That spray glue sticks FAST. Best way is to do it in small sections. In the video, when they are spraying the glue, @ the 3 minute mark. They did half at a time. I do about 1/3rd at a time.

https://youtu.be/-MmT72NDtTs
Good Video
70GMCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com