The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-15-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
Jimbabwe

Compressor thingy-mahoozie

Check this out. Regarding my asking about my compressor fuses blowing and ground issues etc, a few weeks ago: Today I was taking the truck out to hit a couple of shows, when I first started the truck only one compressor came on. I looked and the fuse had blown on the other one. I had no issues the last few times I was out. I heard air coming out of the filter on the compressor head. I had heard this a few times before. I unscrewed the filter and put my finger there and a good amount of pressure was blowing against my finger while the other compressor ran. Shut the truck off, put in a new fuse and the air no longer leaked with both compressors now running. I installed check valves on both compressors a couple of months ago after getting the suspension done because it was airing out overnight with the noticeable leak from the tank through compressors. My questions are: How the hell is air coming out through the compressor when I installed check valves? Is there something in the compressor head that can be screwy and replaced? Could this have somehow been the thing that blows the fuses? Are there better check valves than these that I got from Ridetech, which obviously don't even work?

Gratuitous picture included.
Attached Images

Jimbabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:34 PM   #2
cubber

Re: Compressor thingy-mahoozie

I got my check valves from ProPerformance. Yours is definitely jacked up. You might take it off and clean it, as they can get trash in them. I'm not sure about the fuses, but its just crazy enough to be the problem, lol. Freakin' air ride. I get so mad at it and then I see my truck laid out like yours is (great pic), and I think it's all worth it.

2003 Chevrolet Z71 Ext. Cab
1995 Cavalier gas saver!
cubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:55 PM   #3
Jimbabwe

Yeah, I was thinking maybe these check valves are just crap. The same compressor was leaking the same way before I installed them. Right out of the "intake" where the filter is. Maybe Thomas compressors are junk and I need a rebuild kit or to replace the whole damned thing.
I haven't been cursing too much (yet) but just enough. It's definitely worth it when I see it laid out. Yours is looking good, too. I even enjoy the confused looks and dumb ass remarks from those who don't get it. Makes me like it even more.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:48 PM   #4
cubber

Haha, yeah. sometimes for fun at the cruise ins, I kinda hang around and just listen. It's great entertainment. I don't know anything about Thomas compressors, mine are Viair 480's. I was thinking, though, that that air bleeding back through that compressor could be an indication of a problem with the head, or valves. Or, they may shut off at various positions in their cycle, which could allow air to pass through. Either way, your check valve is jacked up for sure. I have never had air come back on mine. All my air leaks are in hard to get to places, lol. I really like your truck. Seems like bagged stepsides are a little less common, which is why I like 'em!

1995 Cavalier gas saver!
Old 06-18-2013, 11:09 AM   #5
stevencvn72
Kill Bill...et

I had air coming out the intake and it ended up being that the connecting rod in the comp came lose and scratched the cylinder wall. Viair fixed it up for me. But seeing as you've got air coming out even when the comp isn't running, either your check valve is jacked or
it's too tight making it stick. Still doesn't explain the blown fuses though. Good luck and keep us posted. Nice truck though!
Posted via Mobile Device

I Grease

'67 Chev stepper

http://youtu.be/38p_2Iu2fd0
stevencvn72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:41 PM   #6
Jimbabwe

Thanks guys. Seemed kind of strange that after I replaced the fuse and started the truck up again that, with the compressor now running, air was no longer leaking out. Maybe I should ditch these Thomas' (what Ridetech sells with their kits) and get Viairs.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:27 PM   #7
Pro Performance

If air is coming out when the compressors is not running, it is most likely your check valve. Sometimes over tightening the check valves can cause it to stick in either the open or closed position. In this case, it sounds like it might be stuck in the open position allowing air back through. Ir air is coming out when the compressor is running as well, it could be the valve on the top of the piston, etc. Of course, wouldn't be sure until opened up and checked out.

If funds allow, I would suggest the VIAIR compressors. Their check valves can fail at times, but the key is to not over tighten them. I have never had issues with the VIAIR check valves personally, but know some have..... again, mostly due to over tightening.

Just by switching to VIAIR's, you will get a tremendous gain in performance and they will fill your tank faster. They do have different models, but in general, the 400C is a good all-around compressor. Dual compressors are good, but a single will do the job with up to a 5 gallon tank and still be a lot faster than a single Thomas. Not to say they aren't good, just a lot slower.

Now, if you do go dual compressors from the start, you can save a good amount fo money by going with the dual pack. Also, the dual packs (except for the 444's) come with a new pressure switch and 2 40A relays.

Let me know if we can be of any further help.

Travis
Pro Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #8
cubber

Yeah, Jim, that's what I got. One of Travis' dual pacs. I'm pretty sure they're 480's. He gave me a good deal, and it came with relays, check valves, and I think he threw in a pressure switch. I have a 9 gal tank (what I could scrounge up). I am just running DLOE valves and 1/4 air line, so filling the tank to 200 psi, my compressors don't run a whole lot. They do a great job, though.

1995 Cavalier gas saver!