The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-05-2010, 12:44 PM   #1
292farmer

need advice on good harness thanks!

i need to replace all the wiring in my truck as wiring caught fire, i see many different wiring harnesses from different companies has anyone heard what companies the best for the buck and comes with good directions? what have u used on your builds and how well did they work did u need extra parts or everything come with? my trucks 1972 gmc c20 292 4spd man has gauges no tach no a/c pretty plain jane dont care for radio actually have never used one in it now perfer the motor singing thanks alot guys
292farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:56 PM   #2
stealthy '69
'69 Chevy SWB

Re: need advice on good harness thanks!

I got one from LMC when I first go my truck. It was the front harness that ran from the firewall to the head/park lights.And to be honest, I don't think I'll ever get wiring from them again. May be I'm to picky, but, some of the plugs broke easily and the whole harness just looked and felt cheap. For example, the wires were very stiff, and it was about 80* out when I installed it. And one of the ends was too short and I needed to lengthen it. Not a real big deal to me because mine's not going to be a show truck, just a driver. But the harnesses I got from Brothers and and classic parts were top notch.

'69 Chevy SWB Fleet, Primer Black; Project No Name
'06 Chevy Trailblazer, Blueish Silver?; Wifes DD, Sold
'08 Chevy Impala SS, Silver; the new DD, AND IT IS FUN!!!
'99 Dodge Dakota R/T, Intense Blue; DD, Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbed67 View Post
The tig welds are not the prettiest i have seen but they do have good penetration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblue1968chevy View Post
There are two things in life where penetration is really important.....and one of them is welding.
stealthy '69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:03 PM   #3
rob32472

well I say its all about budget and skills..... If just a driver look around on the boards and get some good used harnesses....... or buy new oem style which are easy to install and expensive....... or buy a aaw classic update or painless kit. the last two will take some work but are cheaper than oem. I went with the aaw kit....... so far it has been very strait forward
rob32472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:04 PM   #4
vectorit
What?

I think all the shops carry M&H wire harnesses.
If you buy from the shops, make sure to check every single plug. Since I have experienced where someone broke a plug housing, and must have returned it then the shop just put it back on the shelf. (Happened to me a few times).
Try looking up M&H, and give them a call. You may be able to cut out any undue hassles/expense if you do mail order.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:12 PM   #5
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

We sell both M&H and US Autowire. They both are essentualy the same harnesses, but lately US Autowire (although a little more expencive) has been quicker to ship harnesses that are out of stock. Both companies are USA companies and their harnesses come with their gutters and fasteners all intact and installed on the harnesses just like the original wiring. I have completely rewired 6 or 7 trucks this year and it is about as simple as it could be made to be. WES
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:42 PM   #6
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorit View Post
I think all the shops carry M&H wire harnesses.
If you buy from the shops, make sure to check every single plug. Since I have experienced where someone broke a plug housing, and must have returned it then the shop just put it back on the shelf. (Happened to me a few times).
Try looking up M&H, and give them a call. You may be able to cut out any undue hassles/expense if you do mail order.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Heartbeat View Post
We sell both M&H and US Autowire. They both are essentualy the same harnesses, but lately US Autowire (although a little more expencive) has been quicker to ship harnesses that are out of stock. Both companies are USA companies and their harnesses come with their gutters and fasteners all intact and installed on the harnesses just like the original wiring. I have completely rewired 6 or 7 trucks this year and it is about as simple as it could be made to be. WES
Had great luck with M&H, every thing was just plug in. Of course I modified a lot of the wiring to adapt what I wanted in the harness and customer service was top notch. Darrin was easy to talk to and always available. Total of 3 guys in CS, but Darrin floats back and forth between the shop and his desk

Mods. include
'72 GMC Jimmy w/ a '68 Chevy front clip
Hi and Lo beam relays
Electric water pump - this threw them for awhile
Electric Rad. fan
HEI Distributer
Electric choke
Alternater on Passenger side

The only thing I missed was heavier gauge wires for the headlites, in case I want to update to a better headlite in the future. They can modify my harness for this purpose if I return it for a charge

So, my vote is for M&H, pricey but good in all areas. Harness is supplied with all the correct factory connections

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:04 PM   #7
mbgmike

We sell AAW,Ron Francis,Painless and some others
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:05 PM   #8
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

I like M&H
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:17 PM   #9
Musclerodz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 292farmer View Post
i need to replace all the wiring in my truck as wiring caught fire, i see many different wiring harnesses from different companies has anyone heard what companies the best for the buck and comes with good directions? what have u used on your builds and how well did they work did u need extra parts or everything come with? my trucks 1972 gmc c20 292 4spd man has gauges no tach no a/c pretty plain jane dont care for radio actually have never used one in it now perfer the motor singing thanks alot guys
Bang for buck, the AAW Classic Update kit is the only way to go. You get the ENTIRE wiring for the truck less battery cables, all the correct connectors so you are not reusing old connectors like you have to with other kits. For a few bucks over the price of just the direct replacment dash harness, we can get you the entire truck kit for just under $500. Kit even includes new headlight switch, dimmer switch, and ignition switch
Old 04-25-2010, 08:42 AM   #10
100gold

I just ran into this yesterday. We got to looking closely at ours and decided that it was just too chopped up. My Dad had run a Holley fuel injection system on this truck and really did a number on it.

Wes,
Please check your online store orders first thing Monday. I pushed the button on yours hoping you could fire it off with the order I placed Friday. I need this one ASAP! Thankyou!
100gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:17 AM   #11
snj8198

Quote:
Originally Posted by 292farmer View Post
So what did you decide to do?
Old 04-25-2010, 11:26 AM   #12
292farmer

truthfully i was so short on cash and had the whole winter to work on it (no steady job just snowplowing) that i rebuilt it all from scratch, bought rolls of wire and connectors, and sockets as needed and as budget allowed. it was a long process as i didnt have a garage and it was in the 20's most of the time lol. but i finished it all, it aint pretty but it works and will last till i get to restoring the truck one day.
292farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:20 PM   #13
cparman
sharp as a marble

M&H all the way!
cparman is offline   Reply With Quote