The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-28-2017, 09:08 PM   #1
62lwbc10

Headlight switch issues - parking lamp position

Hey all I'm just getting around to rewiring my truck. I'm using all new period Correct harnesses I've wired the truck before Ising these same new harnesses performed the frame off restoration and everything was fine. Now that I'm putting it together two years later I'm having some issues. When I put the headlight switch into the parking light position, the instrument lights flicker and there is some cracking electrical sounds. Not good. When I do this in the dark and look under the dash I see some blue sparks in the headlight switch and I see that the spark seem to be coming from the slider that gets actuated when the parking light position is put in place. Everything seems to be wired correctly not sure what the problem is. The switch otherwise seems to be fine. When the headlights are put on there is no snapping sounds the headlights work and there are no flickering instrument lights it seems only to be when the parking light position is used. Could improper wiring at the parking lights themselves or bad grounding cause this.? I wouldn't think so. I hate to get a new switch and have the same thing happen if I've got something wired wrong. And if you thought it would be helpful thanks in advance
Attached Images

62lwbc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 02:36 AM   #2
dsraven

Re: Headlight switch issues - parking lamp position

if it is the dash lights flickering when the crackling sound is heard then possibly the dash light dimmer is at fault or the interior light circuit. maybe crank the knob a few times, from off to bright, and see if it gets worse or better. take the bulbs out of those circuits and see if it goes away. you could also try disconnecting the dash lights from the circuit and try it and the same for interior light. it is possible that you have a bad dash light bulb holder as well.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote