The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-22-2017, 03:08 PM   #1
srvivor71

Bed Parts

I have an 89 Silverado short bed, step side. It has a heavy plastic bedliner so I can't easily inspect the bed for rust. I installed a tonneau cover a year or so ago. The tracks for the cover get screwed into the inside top edge of the bed rails. Some of the screws have worked loose and when I go to re-tighten them, they aren't getting very snug, because I'm sure they're just screwing into rust. I'm trying to locate replacements for the top bed rails but haven't had any luck looking in the usual places (LMC, Ecklers, Classic Parts, etc, etc.) I don't even know if the correct name for these parts is "bed rail" (it's the part along top edge of the bed with the stake holes). And it would be super helpful If I could get a good exploded diagram of an 89 stepside shortbed (LMC does have one diagram, but it's got no detail at all). Any help you guys might be able to give (either for a good diagram or a place I can buy these parts) will be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:28 PM   #2
GM-power

Re: Bed Parts

Are you looking for the bed top itself? Or a a replacement screw? The only way to get the bed top would be to get the whole beside. If you can have a helper, I'd suggest getting some machine head bolts with nuts to use in place of the screws.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:29 AM   #3
srvivor71

Re: Bed Parts

I don't want to tighten the bolts on the rusted parts, I want to replace the rusted parts (which include the bed rails). I believe, that with the step side, the outer fenders from the rails down are fiberglass. If I could find a good "exploded" diagram of all the bed parts, I can determine exactly what parts I need, and then try and locate replacements. The only diagram I found was at LMC (below) and and is no help.