The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-21-2017, 06:14 PM   #1
RatBrawd

Wiring Nightmare

Hi guys! Making slow progress on my 1962 "Bo". The wiring is a complete nightmare. I mean, there are at least 4 add on toggle and rocker switches, speakers hanging that appear to be from 1976, a huge add on tach, temp and oil gauges mounted under the 8 track player, multiple light bulb sockets....I don't even know where to start. Rip it all out and start fresh? Take the time to follow the wires? Also, do I try to make the original gauges function or consider like the Eastwood Blog I saw and replace the gauges in the original cluster with the aftermarket ones for a semi/original appearance? I can turn a wrench no problem but Wiring seems so complicated.
RatBrawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:23 PM   #2
Dhartley70

Re: Wiring Nightmare

I prefer to start from scratch with a whole new harness.
Dhartley70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:37 PM   #3
racecougar

Ditto.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:13 PM   #4
PGSigns

My 65 was like that. Seemed like every wire in it had a butt splice. Then the wires that wire nuts on them were from another era. I just pulled it all out and put an AAW classic update harness in it. There have been several threads on this subject of late.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:02 PM   #5
franken

To start, try checking what works, and what doesn't. Then, gently remove a nasty bit. If its legal, drive it for a week. Repeat. After a while it will get better, and you'll get more familiar w/ the wiring.
I've kept old wiring for a while, but it is old.
A rewire isn't that cheap or easy if you have to terminate wires. There are correct crimpers and incorrect crimpers.

Every electrical circuit is a path is from the battery + to the battery -. You can describe the dome light, starter, or cigarette lighter. Same path. Same current in and back in the circuit.

Test, follow the path for a device, disconnect one end, test again. If the result is different, reconnect ant test again. Back to normal? Device is controlled by that path.

Vehicle electrics are a pain because people change stuff, things rot, wiring gets old and heat makes it brittle. But guess what--my junk still works with old wiring. And I have all new harnesses in the closet waiting...

Last edited by franken; 02-21-2017 at 10:13 PM.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 12:53 AM   #6
Softpatch

My favorite place into the build.!
start fresh .!
Even if some wiring works.... Because its unknown it suspect
meaning you don't know if its been overheated frayed or has bare spot that could ground out
this way you can up size the wire size in each circuit.
most wire circuits are marginal
Update fuses.
Renew connection.
Update all grounds.
Add extra custom circuit.....
(warning buzzer when you leave Lights on/key off )
1966 C-20 .....Swap 91 G-30(5.7 FI)/4L80E
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=789617
59 Viking Revival .. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632341
Softpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:36 AM   #7
53lowdown

+2 I agree with what Franken said. Start by testing / fixing just a few things. You may find that it's not as bad as you think. You may also find that it is worse. Either way, you'll have some experience under your belt and will know if you can tackle the full harness replacement job yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken View Post
To start, try checking what works, and what doesn't. Then, gently remove a nasty bit. If its legal, drive it for a week. Repeat. After a while it will get better, and you'll get more familiar w/ the wiring.
I've kept old wiring for a while, but it is old.
A rewire isn't that cheap or easy if you have to terminate wires. There are correct crimpers and incorrect crimpers.

Every electrical circuit is a path is from the battery + to the battery -. You can describe the dome light, starter, or cigarette lighter. Same path. Same current in and back in the circuit.

Test, follow the path for a device, disconnect one end, test again. If the result is different, reconnect ant test again. Back to normal? Device is controlled by that path.

Vehicle electrics are a pain because people change stuff, things rot, wiring gets old and heat makes it brittle. But guess what--my junk still works with old wiring. And I have all new harnesses in the closet waiting...
53lowdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:46 AM   #8
Indian113

I pulled All of my wiring out and started fresh. Not because I wanted too but because I had to. My wife and I were getting ready for a GG'S Show and checking to make sure everything was working. She held the Brake down while I was working on lights and Smoke Filled the Cab. I used the FAQ Section and completely rewired our Truck in one day. That was five years ago and No problems since. If you have a ? this Site has the Answer!
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote