The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-12-2015, 09:29 PM   #1
kyman

Redoing the front end and have a ???

So, I have a 67 lwb. The upper ball joints are in worse shape than I have ever seen. Not sure why they haven't fallen out of the cups yet. They have been changed at some point because they are bolt in. The truck does have 5 lug disc on the front. I'm assuming that this truck did not come with that from the factory? Before I get this thing taken all apart and it sits on my lift for days looking for parts. Any way to tell what ball joints I have or need? I'm hoping there will be a part number on them. Thanks for any help
kyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 10:59 PM   #2
franken

Re: Redoing the front end and have a ???

You might snap a pic of the top and compare it to pics when you look up the upper BJ on a parts store website. Try looking for a 72 or 73+ C10. My guess is 73+. 67 was 6 lug drums so you have some detective work ahead.
You aren't a slave to the halfwit behind the counter at the parts store.
You want the bolt pattern and taper to be right along w/ the length. I'd take the old part with me.
I assume you're replacing the lowers as well?
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 11:03 PM   #3
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

71 and 72 were discs up front from the factory. They were also 5 lug. But I'm not sure if they used the same ball joints as the 67 to 70 rigs.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 11:26 PM   #4
kyman

I have no plans on replacing the lowers, but I am gonna change the tie rod ends and pitman arm while I'm in there. The lowers look newer and have no play at all. Don't like to change something that isn't broke. I'm gonna put it on the lift tomorrow hopefully and see if maybe there is a part number on them. I wonder if there is some kind of way to measure them, kinda like with a u-joint. With those, u can just look in a book with your measurements and fine the correct one....
Old 09-13-2015, 01:03 AM   #5
mike16

change the lowers too. espesialy if you have already gone through two sets of uppers.

NAPA has or had a very good line of ball joints back about 7-8 years ago I dont know if they still carry them but they were good and yes a bit more expensive but worth it.
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 01:52 AM   #6
kyman

I haven't gone through two sets of uppers. Yes, if u count the factory and the ones in it I have, but the lowers look fairly new. I built this truck 9 years ago. Had to sell it, just bought it back about 6 months or so ago. He had the lowers replaced. The front disc conversion was done before I got the truck the first time.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:29 AM   #7
toolboxchev

Check Moogs website, the parts are available. Moog has pretty consistent quality with their product.

Just like the OP said, you are not a slave to the parts counter guy. Most stores just want to push product, they aint there to make you happy in the long run.

The internet is a good thing in this case. Same applies to all parts houses. I have a documented 250k on my rig. I suspect another 100k more. Just finally replaced the pitman arm and it was a GM original with no grease zirk fitting.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 11:27 AM   #8
mike16

factory ball joints are riveted in, replacements are bolted in. if your ball joints are bolted in, they must at least be the second set, maybe more. dont know.

None the less if they are already worn then a new set is needed. NAPA top of the line parts come from Moog

Most auto parts stores have the ability to put thier available products in on line catalogs. If you shop thier online catolog befor you walk through the door you will be ahead of the game. and not at the mercy of the parts counter guy.

The parts counter guy at my local NAPA is a real whiz at finding stuff. but way overworked while the duds are playing solitair on thier computer.
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote