The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-13-2015, 08:24 AM   #1
NC_John

Front drum to disc kit - CPP?

I am doing my research in selecting a 70 front drum to disc kit (I'm not real interested is building a kit from used parts). I am looking for a kit with a drop spindle that'll keep mostly stock parts so I am not mixing and matching parts over numerous years. This one looks like the winner:

http://www.classicperform.com/Store/...062SWBK5OE.htm

If I am reading it right, I can even upgrade to wilwood calipers for $199.

Anybody got any experience with this kit? Yay or nay on it?

Thanks

Instagram (current build pictures) 70_nc_c10
NC_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 04:32 PM   #2
Xeen

Re: Front drum to disc kit - CPP?

Are you wanting to convert to 5-lug or stay 6-lug?
CPP also sells a Modular 2" drop spindle that will allow you to use any brand caliper with a simple bracket change and unlike other drop spindles which move the wheel out 3/4" on each side the modular spindle brings the wheel in 3/4" on each side to match the geometry of the original drum brake set up.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:44 PM   #3
jocko

That's a nice kit. Some choices to be made: drop or stock height, 5 or 6 lug, etc. As for upgrading to bigger brakes, you must consider wheels. What wheels are you planning to run with this? Stock 6 lug steelies will not fit even the basic kit. If you want stock looking steelies and 6 lug, you'll need to find some 71 and up K5/K10 wheels. These will clear the basic/stock caliper kit, but not the big brakes. If you switch to 5 lug, recommend the 5 lug rear axle conversion cpp offers also, otherwise, you'll need to carry two different spares... I think you'll find the stock disks such an improvement that the wilwood upgrade is a bit overkill unless you're building a road machine. Personally, I'd spend the money on rear disks before bigger front disks. Just me though!

What I would do:
71+k5/k10 steelies
standard disk conversion with 6 lug
drop is up to you and the goal for the truck in the end.

CPP is a good company. I personally prefer Performance Online (POL), they offer about the same stuff (it's just not packaged and presented as conveniently in some cases), and, in my experience, better customer service. There will invariably be something that pops up as in a part replacement or swap or question - and the customer service comes in handy. Not saying CPP has poor customer service, just saying I took note of how easy it was to work with POL. Either one is fine though. Good luck with the build.

Last edited by jocko; 09-13-2015 at 07:09 PM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 06:19 PM   #4
Kaptain Kadian

I just put a Mcgaughy set on my 70 c10 6 lug. Really nice and easy to install
Kaptain Kadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:46 PM   #5
68 Greenie

I just tried CPP Modular drop spindle on my truck with stock upper and lower A arms. I got both sides done dropped the truck and rotors where hitting on the bottom A arms. They only made about a half inch difference anyway so I took them back off and put my early classics drop spindles on. I waisted a whole day for nothing.
68 Greenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 08:05 PM   #6
NC_John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeen View Post
Are you wanting to convert to 5-lug or stay 6-lug?
CPP also sells a Modular 2" drop spindle that will allow you to use any brand caliper with a simple bracket change and unlike other drop spindles which move the wheel out 3/4" on each side the modular spindle brings the wheel in 3/4" on each side to match the geometry of the original drum brake set up.
Probably go 5-lug. I'm good with the steelies right now but want to keep my options open later. I'm hearing mixed review on the modulars and am most interested in keeping the ancillary parts stock so it's not an eternal clusterf*ck repairing/replacing anything later.

Old 09-13-2015, 08:26 PM   #7
Xeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Greenie View Post
I just tried CPP Modular drop spindle on my truck with stock upper and lower A arms. I got both sides done dropped the truck and rotors where hitting on the bottom A arms. They only made about a half inch difference anyway so I took them back off and put my early classics drop spindles on. I waisted a whole day for nothing.
I haven't heard anything about that before so I am going to have to look into that because I have the modulars and haven't had a chance to install them yet and if they are going to interfere with the stock lower control arms then I will have to buy tubular lower control arms.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:39 PM   #8
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_John View Post
Probably go 5-lug. I'm good with the steelies right now but want to keep my options open later. I'm hearing mixed review on the modulars and am most interested in keeping the ancillary parts stock so it's not an eternal clusterf*ck repairing/replacing anything later.
Some kits work with stock ball joints etc and others work with the mid-70's ball joints - idea behind that is that they are more plentiful and less expensive. Just another consideration. The one you listed was stock I believe.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:45 PM   #9
NC_John

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Some kits work with stock ball joints etc and others work with the mid-70's ball joints - idea behind that is that they are more plentiful and less expensive. Just another consideration. The one you listed was stock I believe.
I just ordered this kit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/63-70-CHEVY-...torefresh=true

Apparently it's a safer bet to buy cpp through their ebay page as they are scared of bad feedback.

Next step is pulling the trigger on a full set of moog parts to completely overhaul the front end. Then find some steel wheels that will fit and spec out a wilwood master.

Thanks for the feedback guys- I'll let you know how it goes when I start putting stuff together in (hopefully) the next few weeks.