The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-11-2018, 05:49 PM   #51
UGAK5

Re: Seat Cover Quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
I think the above pictures reflect a defective product along with an impatient installer.
Its the former, not the latter. My guy has been doing seats for 40 years and worked on this seat for over 4 hours to get it to what you see. Obviously i am biased on my guy or i wouldnt have used him. That said, his last 3 cars he built (he restores camaros, impalas and other chevy classics, frame off, paint, mechanicals, interior, etc) all sold on barrett jackson in the 6 figures.

I only make the above statement to emphasize the really bad product that i recieved - seems others fared better. Look at the pic where the top corner is so gathered and notice how well he got the seam to align to the edge of the seat frame. That one (forget the crappy embossing) pic shows how poorly this piece was sewed.

So, I called PUI - talked to Ken. Told me to call Summit since i bought it from them. Said he couldnt help me - but did suggest i open the cover up and get the manufacturer codes off of a tag so they could improve their training for whomever sewed it. So, i need to ppen the seat to help them, but they offer me no help or solutions in return.

I took his advice and called Summit - in a 5 minute conversation, they agreed to give me a full refund on all 3 seat covers and free return shipping- even though i had installed one cover. No ask for pics, tag codes or BS. Just ‘you shop with us alot and we want to make you happy’. Hard to beat that kind of business model. As my dad used to say - that dog will hunt.

So next week I go back to David’s shop for him to take this cover off, ill send it and other 2 back and have David build me one of his customer deals - pics to follow.
UGAK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:51 PM   #52
simicrintz

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1971Blazer View Post
My seats are OK (no rips, tears or holes) and I will need to get them redone one day. Yours look nice and all and I would take them if you wanted to send them to me, but I figure I can wait; so can I have the dog instead?!
Old 05-11-2018, 08:40 PM   #53
leddzepp

Your upholsterer will stitch up way better covers than anything mass produced by a company. The shops around here do NOT want to install pre made covers that they did not make themselves...they tend to get very impatient and charge as much as they would if they did all the work from scratch (another reason I installed my own). Years ago I had a shop stitch up OEM style buddy bucket covers for me. They were able to do so from a pic I provided.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 03:49 PM   #54
SeventyOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyOne View Post
Update on my rear panels:

Brothers Trucks actually called me to tell me they spoke to the supplier (Larry) and I am told a "week and a half" they'll ship.

So I'll post in 10 days and let you all know.
It's been about a month now and no panels. On the phone with Brothers now, they just told me Larry would call me.

Ok just spoke to Larry and he says there been issue with the parchment and said " there's something like 7 different whites used in these trucks" and he wants pics of the other parchment I'm using so he can match. Not sure how much of this is reality or BS but ok.

So I'll send pics along to him and let you know how this continues.
SeventyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 05:58 PM   #55
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Larry has made parchment covers and panels for years. He's lying to you.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:33 PM   #56
SeventyOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
Larry has made parchment covers and panels for years. He's lying to you.
I assumed as much. I'll be bugging him a lot.
SeventyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:03 PM   #57
tristan

I got the same song and dance and had to send him pictures of the stuff he had already sent me so that he could "match color" on the rest of my order. No records are kept on these things apparently.
tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 02:58 AM   #58
Blazerowner

Still waiting on mine as well. It’s been almost 10 months. Needless to say I’m close to canceling my order and asking for my 2 grand back.
Blazerowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:21 AM   #59
simicrintz

So many stories about poor service and long lead times; how does this company even stay in business (and why do so many keep trying to do business with them with these stories)? What is the major hold up that keeps folks from going to a local upholstery shop to have this work done (is it the pattern/texture?)? It seems to me that this cannot be that difficult and if it is the pattern(s) and somebody can find them it tells me the material is available.

I am just a dumb swimming pool guy and have nothing to offer, but this just keeps blowing me away to read all these stories!
Old 06-06-2018, 10:58 AM   #60
tristan

I think he has a monopoly on embossing the scrollwork into the upholstery vinyl.
tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 03:10 PM   #61
UGAK5

So, here’s my custom seat. Cost me $135 more than the PUI seat cover (installed) and is 10 times the quality of vinyl. I went with a high quality marine grade. Bolstered up the sides and center some too. Well pleased.

Should’ve gone this route originally.
Attached Images

UGAK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:51 PM   #62
simicrintz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan View Post
I think he has a monopoly on embossing the scrollwork into the upholstery vinyl.
I did not know that. Even still I have a hard time understanding how they stay in business with the info I continue to read here! Unbelievable!!
Old 06-06-2018, 09:44 PM   #63
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

It might be useful if anyone experiencing delays or issues with Larry Nease at Truckworld to contribute to this dedicated thread to keep the issues organized in a single thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=740358

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote