The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-04-2017, 09:43 PM   #26
The Rocknrod

Re: What would you do different....do's and dont's

Make sure you get a real no ****e cost for your paint and body work. Don't be like me and end up Suckered in. Set up. Pushed around.

Last edited by The Rocknrod; 06-04-2017 at 09:54 PM.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:30 AM   #27
60sIron

A lot of great advice! Mine would be to remember this is a hobby we choose because we enjoy it......... At times it becomes frustrating and not to enjoyable. Walk away, keep your eye on the prize, regroup and remember its suppose to be fun.
60sIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 01:20 PM   #28
Backpayne

Don't count on anything being simple, cheap, or quick. The Rule of Pi is dead on.
Backpayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 03:10 PM   #29
scoot_mcgrute

Something I would definitely do again would be to keep buddies around that push you to do things you don't want to. Like remove the frame, research a bit more before you decide to do that, why are you doing it that way, that's dumb, etc. A good friend of mine was awesome at that and even the things I didn't listen to him tell me back then are now working their way onto the truck after it's been put together and is a pain in the butt.

Another thing I would do again is to leave the rust somewhat alone. If it's not too terrible to leave, it will get you finished and enjoying it earlier. Rust can be repaired anytime but it takes a long time to do it right and sometimes that length is super discouraging when you do it upfront. Obviously some trucks have to have the rust taken care of right away.

Buy the most solid body you can afford. Put color and options in the back of your mind for the most part and look at the bones. Color can be changed later and options can be added, unless you're going for a full on factory original product in the end.

I would absolutely have the frame powdercoated if I did it again, no question. POR-15 is a pain in the butt and isn't significantly cheaper than powdercoat, at least near me.

I would have set the suspension up at the height it is now, 4" lower than when I first built it, since all that is way easier when it's a bare frame.

I wouldn't have put another inline 6 in mine. Pick the motor you want in the end and do that, you will be money ahead even if the one you want is a larger investment overall.

Plan to do things only once as much as you can, but don't get stuck on something because you don't want to do it twice. It's not that big of a deal to do it again later.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:28 PM   #30
jbgroby

well truth be told, from now on, I'll save up my pennies and buy one finished........ its been a LONG road.
jbgroby is offline   Reply With Quote